PDA

View Full Version : homeplug help please

johnny99xx
28-09-10, 13:35
Hiya all,

Im a complete noob when it comes to this (as you can prob tell from my previous posts)

I bought a set of Belkin Powerline AV Networking Adapters
now my set up is, my PC only has one ethernet port and my virgin modem (scientific atlanta) has one ethernet port
I have unplugged the ethernet lead from the pc to modem
i have attached one lead from the modem to the first adaptor which is in the bedroom (pc is no longer connected to modem)
I have attached one ethernet cable to an adapter in the sitting room to the box

I went to system then network
Lan adapter is connected
local network is connected
DHCP is connected
IP address is unconfirmed
name server is unconfirmed

any help please?

also, as I now have to unplug the ethernet connection (modem to homeplug) then reinsert another ethernet connection (PC to modem) to get internet access on my PC, should I now but a router so I can have internet on PC while home plugs can still be connected to modem?
what router is best if I need one?
hope this all sounds stright forward

thanks in advance
Johnny

johnny99xx
28-09-10, 13:36
also Im using latest PLI image,

pooface
28-09-10, 14:22
When you set up your pc, did you have to configure you ip address on the pc?! Not sure whether it would've picked it up straight away or not?! Since I don't have cable, and never used it, not 100% sure on it... But, if you did buy a router (may as well get a wireless one in case you decide you want to buy a netbook or laptop or summat), then this should sort it out quite simply... All of your machines (i.e. computer, duo etc) will work on an internal lan, with internal ip addresses, and all send data through the router, which would work externally to the isp...

You would need to get a cable router. Something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/201376

Maybe others can confirm, as I have had no experience of cable, as I say...

johnny99xx
28-09-10, 14:35
Pooface, thank you so much mate,
the more I ask the more I learn!!!!

cheers mate

satmanbasil
28-09-10, 16:19
Hi mate

If your with vigin then they should have issued you with a router so if not then get on the phone and complain.. other option u can try if all your ethernet cables are by your modem is to buy a switch hub then connect modem to this and u have your extra 4 - 8 ports to run the other cables to

regards
satmanbasil

PS just a thought when i changed over to cable recently i was fooled by the IP as cable come set up with 192.168.100.xxx where as my BT IP was 192.168.1.xxx you can when you get the router off your cable supplier the IP or leave it and just make sure your VU has a staic ip addy instead

johnny99xx
28-09-10, 20:34
thanks all.

got a router and all hooked up, well worth it !!!