PDA

View Full Version : ViX 1.1 USB MOUNT?

cervot
27-09-10, 22:30
Hi probably a daft question but i have put a usb stick in the bottom slot on the rear of my vu duo, I want picons on it. When i go into vix settings - device manager i see, my hdd and usb listed however the usb is listed as not mapped, i havelooked in the mount manager and it appears to be ok : Device /dev/sdb1/. My question is there a way to change the status from not mapped to mapped?

MyB5
27-09-10, 23:27
You can mount it through fstab under /var/etc

andyblac
27-09-10, 23:31
Hi probably a daft question but i have put a usb stick in the bottom slot on the rear of my vu duo, I want picons on it. When i go into vix settings - device manager i see, my hdd and usb listed however the usb is listed as not mapped, i havelooked in the mount manager and it appears to be ok : Device /dev/sdb1/. My question is there a way to change the status from not mapped to mapped?

use the device manager to map it to USB, open Device Manger, press RED, then change the usb from sdb1 to USB

andyblac
27-09-10, 23:32
You can mount it through fstab under /var/etc

no need to manually edit fstab use device manager :)

MyB5
28-09-10, 00:08
no need to manually edit fstab use device manager :)

Sorry, I thought he tried it and it did'nt work. Of course..always start with mounting under Device Manager. You're so right Andy...

cervot
28-09-10, 07:03
cheers guys, i will give it a try.

cervot
28-09-10, 07:46
I pressed red button to get mountmanager but how do you edit it on that screen, there is only red button to cancel and green button to save, i tried editing Fstab file but no joy, sorry to be a pain.

Sicilian
28-09-10, 07:51
I pressed red button to get mountmanager but how do you edit it on that screen, there is only red button to cancel and green button to save, i tried editing Fstab file but no joy, sorry to be a pain.

Use left and right button to choose the mount point ;)

cervot
28-09-10, 13:04
hi something is not right, i cannot select anything by pressing left/right on the usb but if i go up 1 to hdd i can change it ok, but i do not need to change hdd only usb.

andyblac
28-09-10, 13:30
hi something is not right, i cannot select anything by pressing left/right on the usb but if i go up 1 to hdd i can change it ok, but i do not need to change hdd only usb.

OK,

go to Device Manager, (you get a list of devices)
Press RED (you now to go list where you can change the Mount-points)
highlight the device you want to change then press left/right to change the mount-point

ALSO make sure it is formatted ext3, and not FAT/FAT32

andy

pooface
28-09-10, 14:57
OK,

highlight the device you want to change then press left/right to change the mount-point

andy

ext2 also works just fine (ext2 is supposed to be a little better performance wise than ext3 for usb sticks/small drives)...

cervot
28-09-10, 17:16
right, here is the screencap below, then i goto mount manager screencap1 i CANNOT change the usb to anything else, but hdd if fine and changes ok, as you see both are formatted with linux.

Sicilian
28-09-10, 17:19
With USB highlighted as in the screenshot above, press the left and right buttons either side of OK on your remote.

cervot
28-09-10, 17:23
it dont work, gonna try another usb stick.

cervot
28-09-10, 17:27
CONFIRMED it DOES work with another USB stick USB 2.0 Datatraveler 8gb, i dont know why it did not work with other usb stick which is strange as i have used it ever since getting m vu duo. Many thanks for you assistance chaps!!!! thank firk for that. :)

MyB5
01-10-10, 11:48
OK,

andy

On VIX 1.0 I had my Usb stick formatted as FAT32, I'm 90% sure...On my old DM800 DE 1.33F I had it formatted as ext3..Is there a difference in this image (VIX 1.1)? Also, does it matter if you have it mounted as /media/usb or media/sdb1?
I'll use it for picons and epd data....

andyblac
01-10-10, 12:06
On VIX 1.0 I had my Usb stick formatted as FAT32, I'm 90% sure...On my old DM800 DE 1.33F I had it formatted as ext3..Is there a difference in this image (VIX 1.1)? Also, does it matter if you have it mounted as /media/usb or media/sdb1?
I'll use it for picons and epd data....

just FAT32 can not be used for Timeshift, as for usb or sdb1, no it does not really matter, just some plugins that other people have wrote don't check for sdb1 only usb

MyB5
01-10-10, 12:47
just FAT32 can not be used for Timeshift, as for usb or sdb1, no it does not really matter, just some plugins that other people have wrote don't check for sdb1 only usb

Thx m8,

but what do you suggest? Shall I format it to Linux or Fat32? Because I sometimes get green screen when I open Device Manager. Could it be because I have my stick formated in Fat32 instead of Linux? (like I said, I shall only use the stick for picons and epgdata, no timeshift)

Thx again andy

andyblac
01-10-10, 12:51
Thx m8,

but what do you suggest? Shall I format it to Linux or Fat32? Because I sometimes get green screen when I open Device Manager. Could it be because I have my stick formated in Fat32 instead of Linux? (like I said, I shall only use the stick for picons and epgdata, no timeshift)

Thx again andy

i would recomend ext3, as the vu+ is linux fat32 is for win. as for green screens, you should really post crash logs so i can fix :D

MyB5
01-10-10, 13:46
Here you go Andy.

Channel Master
26-11-10, 00:07
I am experiencing similar problems in Device Manager (using Vix 1.2). I have a 1TB internal HDD installed and working (mounted as /media/hdd) and a 2GB USB Stick in the rear upper USB slot. When in Device Manager I cannot select any options for HDD or USB. There are 4 USB's listed as /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2, /dev/sdb3 and /dev/sdb4, even though I only have one USB Stick connected). All USB's are showing as 'NOT MAPPED'. Pressing the left or right button just moves to the next USB item.

Pressing the red button for Mountpoints causes a green screen. Crash log is attached, please help.

silverfox0786
26-11-10, 00:30
format the usb drive it should automatically become 1 as an ext3 drive or then format it in pc as fat32

Channel Master
26-11-10, 17:26
I have formatted the USB Stick and created a 64MB Swap File on it so I don't think this is the problem because even when the HDD is selected, pressing the red button (for Mountpoints) causes a green screen. Can someone check the crash log I uploaded in Post #21 to identify what is causing the crash?

Channel Master
28-11-10, 16:03
UPDATE: I have tried using a different USB Stick and it is now working correctly (Device Manager shows it mounted as /media/usb).

The working USB Stick is an Imation Nano 1GB.