PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Tune and calibration in settings

ra28uk
13-02-13, 10:53
Hi all. Brand new to the sat scene and looking for some guidance.
A mate instled a motorised dish for me to go with my vu+ solo2.
I am struggling to get much on 26e at certain times of the day, so want to know if I can use the tune or calibrate which is found in the positioner settings. What exactly do these options do and is it automatic?
I don't want to try it out and then mess it all up.
Thanks.

psionguy
13-02-13, 12:15
Sounds like your dish is not correctly lined up, it is very easy to setup a motorised system once it has been installed. Firstly I would check your longitude and latitude settings are correct, go to menu, service searching, and tuner configuration and select the tuner which shows USALS. There you will see the info given for longitude and Latitude, check the numbers are correct for your location, you should be able to get the correct information using your post code and doing a search on Google. If they are correct then invest in a satellites signal tuner, I got one from eBay for £6 and they are easy to use. If you need any further help give me a call.

ra28uk
13-02-13, 12:47
Thanks for your reply.my longitude and lattitude are correct as I entered them myself.
The dish is very difficult to get to as it is on my roof, but I am sure it is setup correctly.
My question was specifically regarding the calibrate and tune options in the settings.
Cant remember the exact location, but it's in service searchibg.
Can these options be used to try and sueeze an extra percent or two or could I mess up my current settings by using them?

tomthebomb1968
13-02-13, 13:21
Problem is more likely to be dish size. What size is yours compared to the recommended size for the transponders your tuning too? Some on 26e require BIG dish for uninterrupted viewing.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

ra28uk
13-02-13, 13:41
I do realise I could do with a bigger dish, I currently have a td88.
But my queetion is regarding how the tune and calibrate features work in settings.
Has anyone tried these out at all?

psionguy
15-02-13, 14:33
I do realise I could do with a bigger dish, I currently have a td88.
But my queetion is regarding how the tune and calibrate features work in settings.
Has anyone tried these out at all?

I have never found any benefit in using these settings, others may have. The last time I had a problem was due to some heavy winds which must have move the dish out of line, these settings made no difference and did not compensate for any signal loss. I used a Satellite signal meter to adjust the dish, it was only fraction out but this made all the difference and the weak signals I did have on some satellites was rectified. The point I am making is we have had some strong winds recently and this could be the problem you are having. I use a 90cm dish and I am located in the south, this size gives me good coverage across the arc.

Using these settings will not mess up your dish setup, there is an option to save any changes you make on individual satellites, so give it a try.

StuBFrost
15-02-13, 15:17
I used the calibrate function and it made a huge difference to me.

I had my lat/long set correctly and they worked perfectly in my Spiderbox but when I moved to my Ultimo the dish would wander slightly off every time it moved until I had to use "GOTO 0" to reset it.

The way I used calibrate was to use "GOTO 0" first to reset the dish. Then use the calibrate function which moves the dish in steps East and West to find the best signal and when finished tells you how far off your setting are. Mine said -0.9 so I simply subtracted that from the lat and my dish has not had any problems since.