PDA

View Full Version : Problem flashing VIX 1.1 image

jrboyles
27-09-10, 21:40
I downloaded and loaded the files onto a usb stick. After flashing and rebooting I got the initial loading screen but then nothing.
What should I do next?

Sicilian
27-09-10, 21:59
I downloaded and loaded the files onto a usb stick. After flashing and rebooting I got the initial loading screen but then nothing.
What should I do next?

Re-flash, then after flashing power off for 30 seconds before switching power back on.

jrboyles
28-09-10, 07:20
I tried it. Same result. From new I have only used the original VIX image which I flashed without any problem.

Sicilian
28-09-10, 07:24
Re-dowload the usb image files.

Re-format the USB stick again, go through the USB flashing process again, once the screen tell's you its flashing is complete and to remove usb and reboot, power off and leave for a full minute.

mmcmedia
28-09-10, 08:14
Sicilian perhaps you can clear something up , it seems quite a few people inc myself have problems when flashing images via usb myself inc is there a problem or fault with the box's or the images or is that the boxs dont like being flashed via .
I know some people dl & use the wrong file but a lot of people use the right file but have problems like mentioned above ,this isnt the 1st post on flashing and defo not the last can u shed any light ?

fulabeer
28-09-10, 08:46
A few things to try. (please don't be offended if you have already tried these things, as others having the same problem may have not etc)

Format the USB stick even if it has been formatted before. You may have a rogue file that is not showing etc.
No other files should be on the USB stick etc.
I would recommend a "FULL" format and not the normal "Quick" format.

Try another USB stick and make sure it is formatted to FAT32.

Lastly, make sure nothing else is connected to the rear USB slots. (use the front for the flashing etc)
Switch the box off at the rear power switch, insert the USB stick.
IMPORTANT Wait at least 30 seconds before switching the box back on.
This makes sure any caches are clear and prevents a power surge when restarting.
After the flashing is complete remove the USB stick, then do the same again.

If anybody is really struggling, i would be willing to send my USB stick to try.
At least it would dismiss the stick as the source of the problem.

Sicilian
28-09-10, 09:09
For record I've not had a single issue flashing the image also if you look at the amount of downloads from here and mediafire, the reports of users having issue flashing is minimal. For anyone having issues I say read post 4 above.

Foxylady
28-09-10, 09:28
Just started putting the new image in, i had v1.0 last vix image already on pendrive, simply i deleted them and put in new v1.1, no format needed, put into front usb slot, jobs a good un, all installed, just doing settings now.
Did not have to wait 30 secs etc, simply when it says remove usb as always on each image install, i do then i turn off box via switch at rear and then turn it back on again.
1st time of install on new image as i always have done and no issues here.
Quick question, has the sat movement icon been fixed as yet?
Many thank for your hard work to the team whom created this, we would be stuck otherwise.
Best wishes
Foxy

Sicilian
28-09-10, 09:31
J
Quick question, has the sat movement icon been fixed as yet?
Best wishes
Foxy

Not yet no, we're still waiting on VU+ to fix this issue.

Foxylady
28-09-10, 09:33
Look at that, 3 minutes after posting and a reply, spot on service here, now i can turn over to carry on do settings on box as box and media centre on same tv.
Top stuff sicilian

mmcmedia
28-09-10, 11:52
A few things to try. (please don't be offended if you have already tried these things, as others having the same problem may have not etc)

Format the USB stick even if it has been formatted before. You may have a rogue file that is not showing etc.
No other files should be on the USB stick etc.
I would recommend a "FULL" format and not the normal "Quick" format.

Try another USB stick and make sure it is formatted to FAT32.

Lastly, make sure nothing else is connected to the rear USB slots. (use the front for the flashing etc)
Switch the box off at the rear power switch, insert the USB stick.
IMPORTANT Wait at least 30 seconds before switching the box back on.
This makes sure any caches are clear and prevents a power surge when restarting.
After the flashing is complete remove the USB stick, then do the same again.

If anybody is really struggling, i would be willing to send my USB stick to try.
At least it would dismiss the stick as the source of the problem.

Can u tell us what brand of memory stick you use please & a link if poss
To be honest ive done a factory reset on my vu this mornin as ive returned my box to supplier & it just stuck on reading usb

Sicilian
28-09-10, 11:54
Can u tell us what brand of memory stick you use please & a link if poss

Read here ;) http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?555-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-USB-stick-used-to-flash-your-VU-Duo

mmcmedia
28-09-10, 12:01
i got a disgo 1gb which i been using and have previously used for me vu my opion is on my vu somewhere somehow the bootloader has been corrupted is this poss

jrboyles
29-09-10, 07:38
I have now tried 3 different sticks. Each was newly formated to FAT32 and was empty apart from the vuplus folder. After the finish message I wait a minute then switch on. The boat picture appears then nothing happens. I also tried the OpenPLi image and it did exactly the same thing.
I will buy a new stick today and try that.
Is the Vu faulty? Is it possible to do a factory reset at this stage?

Sicilian
29-09-10, 07:39
I have now tried 3 different sticks. Each was newly formated to FAT32 and was empty apart from the vuplus folder. After the finish message I wait a minute then switch on. The boat picture appears then nothing happens. I also tried the OpenPLi image and it did exactly the same thing.
I will buy a new stick today and try that.
Is the Vu faulty? Is it possible to do a factory reset at this stage?

What do you get on screen after you flashed the PLi image?

jrboyles
29-09-10, 09:13
I saw a picture of a 'globe' with a bit of text. This then stayed unchanged for a while.
With the VIX image should the cogs be moving because mine do not move.

Sicilian
29-09-10, 09:18
I saw a picture of a 'globe' with a bit of text. This then stayed unchanged for a while.
With the VIX image should the cogs be moving because mine do not move.

Moved to the correct section ;)

When you say cogs I'm assuming you mean these in the bootlogo: -

http://c.imagehost.org/0022/Loading2.jpg

No they are static, part of the bootlogo.

Sounds like your flashing the image OK, but not leaving enough time for it to start fully and go into the startupwizard. After flashing leave for a few mins and let it do its stuff on reboot ;)

yngvekl
29-09-10, 09:20
What happens when you press "Menu" button?

EDIT: Sic beat me to it, please ignore...

jrboyles
29-09-10, 09:21
I will try again tonight. thanks for your help.

jrboyles
29-09-10, 09:22
I have tried the menu button plus others without any affect.

Sicilian
29-09-10, 09:30
It take a couple of mins to get to the startup wizard, you need to have patience and leave it to boot. The next screen that will appear is this: -

http://c.imagehost.org/0816/StartingE2_3.jpg

After the above you will get the startup wizard ;)

jrboyles
29-09-10, 21:33
I tried your advice but after 20 minutes nothing had happened. In desperation I tried taking out the ethernet cable and I got to the wizard. I think the problem was that I had tried to change the router to give the Vu a fixed IP address but it was not set properly so this was causing a conflict.

givecredit
02-10-10, 10:58
Just got my Vu+ Duo yesterday and i too had problems flashing image with usb. It would flash. While flashing my tv screen was blank (connected via HDMI) so was relying on duo screen (maybe thats standard) when finished, id remove usb and power off/on at back switch. When rebooting i would get as far as starting enigma 2 and freeze. Tried a few times and gave up on usb. Flashed fine with serial cable.

Just like to know what i was doing wrong with usb flash?

Great image btw. Had been used to dream elite on dreambox. After a few hours i much prefer VIX. Well done guys...
One niggle i have, the info button (coloured far left, cannot remember colour, red i think) when i press this for info, the info stays until i press exit. It would be nice if it timed out or a second press of coloured button removed info. Maybe this function is there but i have not found it yet. Still on learning curve...