PDA

View Full Version : VIX 1.1 - WiFi

GiP
27-09-10, 18:01
Hi,

As the new image support WiFi I got a D-Link GWL-G122 which was reported as supported....
Unfortunately I didn't check the F/W, 3.x was OK but mine is 5.00 and it doesn't work. Any hope ?

I couldn't find any other of the listed dongles, probably the list is old as all the brands have different model numbers on the shelfs.

Is there a more complete and recent list?

Thanks,

G

Sicilian
27-09-10, 18:07
Buy a TP-Link TL-WN321G, defo 100% working here ;)

Bought mine here
http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/INU_Products/INU_ProdDetailsL4.ASP?ref=0000495C&pnb=TL-WN321G&des=TP-Link-TL-WN321G-54M-Wireless-USB-Network-Adaptor

GiP
27-09-10, 18:20
Buy a TP-Link TL-WN321G, defo 100% working here ;)

Well, I live in Italy and It doesn't make much sense having it sent from there, it will probably cost more for shipping than the actual price....
I hope I can find something local, but most of the listed brands are not available.
I found D-Link, Sitecom, Trust. Emtec and some others but none with the same Model Number in the "accepted list".
I'll look around and see if I can find the TP-Link here.

Thanks.

G

Sicilian
27-09-10, 18:26
loads on Ebay.it

http://shop.ebay.it/?_nkw=TP-Link%20TL-WN321G&_nd1=See-All-Categories

GiP
27-09-10, 18:30
loads on Ebay.it

Yep, that's where I looked myself ... If I cannot find it in a shop nearby (I want it NOW!) I'll go there.

GiP

Sicilian
27-09-10, 18:32
(I want it NOW!)

GiP

:roflmao: I'm like that, must be the Italian impatience :roflmao:

pooface
27-09-10, 20:09
:roflmao: I'm like that, must be the Italian impatience :roflmao:

lol, nope. Not just the italian impatience... I'm English, and just exactly the same, missus is French, she's just as bad (although maybe a little bit better than me), and the little one is is obviously a mixture between us, and I think he's worse :p hehe

I have a d-link f/w v5, and because it's a different chipset wireless dongle, it won't work on the box unless the linux wireless drivers are released... I tried looking around, but couldn't find any which states for definite what chipset is in the dongle... Hence, I just bought a tp-link :p Works jsut fine :D

GiP
28-09-10, 11:40
I have a d-link f/w v5, and because it's a different chipset wireless dongle, it won't work on the box unless the linux wireless drivers are released... I tried looking around, but couldn't find any which states for definite what chipset is in the dongle...

My Linux Box sees it as a RT2800 but fails to load the driver (FW error), in fact I think it's RT3070. I downloaded and installed the FW and drivers for the RT3070(it automatically "blacklists" the 2800) and it works.
Ralink has all the software if you want to give it a try.....

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

GiP

andyblac
28-09-10, 13:23
My Linux Box sees it as a RT2800 but fails to load the driver (FW error), in fact I think it's RT3070. I downloaded and installed the FW and drivers for the RT3070(it automatically "blacklists" the 2800) and it works.
Ralink has all the software if you want to give it a try.....

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

GiP

but, have you tested it on the vu+ ?, the problem is getting the drivers to build on oe1.6, it is a fairly old kernel 2.6.18

EDIT:
just read the release notes, it needs WPA Supplicant 6.9, and the max we can use is 5.8 :(, so look like it is a no go

GiP
28-09-10, 13:34
but, have you tested it the vu+ ?, the problem is getting the drivers to build on oe1.6, it is a fairly old kernel 2.6.18
I haven't the faintest idea on how you do that.
I have done that on a normal linux box but this is new for me.
Does VIX have a gcc compiler with make and all the stuff you find in a normal linux box (kernel sources, headers....)? Do you need a development environment., a cross compiler......

pooface mentioned he wasn't sure what chipset was in the dongle and just wanted to give him the info, and I only installed the driver on my machine to be sure that it was the right one.

GiP

andyblac
28-09-10, 13:39
Does VIX have a gcc compiler with make and all the stuff you find in a normal linux box (kernel sources, headers....)? Do you need a development environment., a cross compiler......

pooface mentioned he wasn't sure what chipset was in the dongle and just wanted to give him the info, and I only installed the driver on my machine to be sure that it was the right one.

GiP

yes, but we are limited to what drivers will build / run, as the vu+ only has the linux kernel 2.6.18, i think the current is on 2.6.34, also the WPA Supplicant (the part that controls the security) the highest version we can install is 5.8 (due to the kernel) and the release note for the rt3070 driver requires 6.9, so even if the drivers would build and work, you could not connect to a secure network

GiP
28-09-10, 14:04
yes, but we are limited to what drivers will build / run, as the vu+ only has the linux kernel 2.6.18,
Ah, I didn't know that. Pity...
Well, when the kernel will be updated I'll be ready.

Thanks,

GiP

pooface
28-09-10, 14:13

GiP

I just asked andy to take a look in to it if he would be able to build the drivers for the image. I have exactly the same usb stick as you, revision E, f/w 5.00. So, I would've been able to test it out if he could build it. But since it won't work with the wpa supplicant used, then even if he did manage to get the drivers for kernel 2.6.18 and built them, it still wouldn't work on the vu duo, because as andy says, we can only use the 5.8 wpa supplicant...

pooface
28-09-10, 14:16
Lol. Typical, had to go off and do some work, came back, finished typing my reply half hour later, and andy's already answered the question... Oh well, at least my answer suppliments it :p

andyblac
28-09-10, 14:41
Lol. Typical, had to go off and do some work, came back, finished typing my reply half hour later, and andy's already answered the question... Oh well, at least my answer suppliments it :p

lol, makes a change doesn't it :D, it normally you beating me to it :p

GiP
28-09-10, 18:06
Well, I found a key that seems to work!

It's a "Kraun KR-XC". I think that Kraun is a re-brand made by the "Computer Discount" store chain so maybe originally it was one of the supported ones.

GiP

lscolman
03-10-10, 22:23
Just got my TP-Link TL-WN321G, plugged it in, but it doesn't seem to be recognised.

I downloaded the wireless plugin, but still nothing?

Any ideas how to get this working?

Sicilian
04-10-10, 06:30
Just got my TP-Link TL-WN321G, plugged it in, but it doesn't seem to be recognised.

I downloaded the wireless plugin, but still nothing?

Any ideas how to get this working?

With VIX 1.1 everything for wifi is pre-installed, you dont need to install anything. Just power off your DUO, plug in wifi adapter and reboot. Once booted go to network settings.