PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] A Ghost in my Machine ?? ( HDMI-CEC problem )

2stein
31-12-12, 13:34
Unfortunately I have a quite severe problem: once in a while the box switches to channel 1 without any obvious reason. I checked timers: none.
What could cause the box to switch to channel 1?????
Thanks.

Rob van der Does
31-12-12, 15:13
Unfortunately I have a quite severe problem: once in a while the box switches to channel 1 without any obvious reason. I checked timers: none.
What could cause the box to switch to channel 1?

I am having a problem with my Vu+ Duo box with the latest ViX 3.0 Image. I put the box on standby at the end of the night and the next morning the box is on without any interference? Is there a particular setting in the box I need to do?
For both of you: please enable debuglogs, restart GUI and post logs when this has happened again.

2stein
03-01-13, 11:39
What could cause the box to switch to channel 1?????
Thanks.
After some more observation I found that other strange things happen: the e2 menu appears, the box powers off, etc. :-) Looks like a ghost is playing with the remote control.
Don't know whether this is just coincidence but after I played a bit with the HDMICEC settings (and I really don't know what all the options mean) the box seems to behave again.
Let's keep the fingers crossed :-)

Rob van der Does
03-01-13, 11:50
.... after I played a bit with the HDMICEC settings (and I really don't know what all the options mean) the box seems to behave again.
Best option is to disable HDM_cec completely.

2stein
03-01-13, 12:20
Best option is to disable HDM_cec completely.
Yes, but I want the VU+ to power on/off my Sony TV. That at least works fine. :-)

Rob van der Does
03-01-13, 12:25
Yes, but I want the VU+ to power on/off my Sony TV. That at least works fine. :-)
And now without any 'side effects'? And the TV is also switched on?

2stein
03-01-13, 16:12
And now without any 'side effects'? And the TV is also switched on?
yes, works without any side effects, and the TV is switched on and off as well... just limited (one day) experience so far, though...

2stein
03-01-13, 19:50
I still see enigma crashes once in a while when zapping channels. sent in some logs. andyblack responded that the crashes were caused by TSPanel and suggested I reflash and not install TSPanel.
The strange thing is: I never installed TSPanel. :-)
Ref: 1357120313.5

2stein
04-01-13, 15:34
updated to 552.
now the following error message shows up.

2stein
05-01-13, 14:13
updated to 552.

updated to 553... problem is still there.

judge
05-01-13, 14:27
updated to 552.

when you are uploading screenshots rather than logs, can you please follow this tutorial (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12554-Tutorial-How-to-make-a-screenshot-dump-from-your-satellite-receiver&p=90834&viewfull=1#post90834), makes them a lot easier to read.

2stein
05-01-13, 15:20
I'd rather preferred an advice on how to fix the problem...

Larry-G
05-01-13, 15:25

With just photo's instead of debug logs how are we expected to do that exactly ?

2stein
05-01-13, 15:30
With just photo's instead of debug logs how are we expected to do that exactly ?
The log is in the photo... no?

judge
05-01-13, 15:34

Looking at a photo of a problem is never going to help, looking at debug logs will.
I'm not getting at you, we all use screenshots to show problems at times, just pointing you in the correct way to take them as they are a lot easier to view.

Larry-G
05-01-13, 15:34

Yes but Thats just a fraction of the Log and there could very well be a great deal more that we need to see.

2stein
06-01-13, 16:23
After some more observation I found that other strange things happen: the e2 menu appears, the box powers off, etc. :-) Looks like a ghost is playing with the remote control.
Don't know whether this is just coincidence but after I played a bit with the HDMICEC settings (and I really don't know what all the options mean) the box seems to behave again.
Let's keep the fingers crossed :-)
Unfortunately, it doesn't.
I suspect that the magic RC keystrokes are created by the HDMICEC plugin. The settings of the plugin don't seem to work correctly either. I tried to disable the TV RC controlling the vu+ but with all the settings I tried the TV RC is passed thru to the vu+. I disabled HDMICEC (first option) but the ghost is still there.
So, now I removed the plugin completely. The ghost is hopefully gone now. Will have to see.

2stein
08-01-13, 09:49
Unfortunately, it doesn't.
I suspect that the magic RC keystrokes are created by the HDMICEC plugin. The settings of the plugin don't seem to work correctly either. I tried to disable the TV RC controlling the vu+ but with all the settings I tried the TV RC is passed thru to the vu+. I disabled HDMICEC (first option) but the ghost is still there.
So, now I removed the plugin completely. The ghost is hopefully gone now. Will have to see.
This is really strange... although I removed the HDMICEC plugin the ghost is still there. And: I still see eHDMICEC message in the log:

eHdmiCEC: received message
eHdmiCEC: received message 83
How can i make HDMICEC shut up???????
Thanks.

Rob van der Does
08-01-13, 10:06
This is really strange... although I removed the HDMICEC plugin the ghost is still there. And: I still see eHDMICEC message in the log:

How can i make HDMICEC shut up?
The fact that the HDMI-CEC has been disabled or even removed, will not stop the TV from sending messages. So they will show up in the log, but I assume the box is not responding to them?

If that would be the case, you must disable the HDMI-CEC support in the menu of the TV. Looking into my TV that should be possible.

2stein
08-01-13, 12:38
The fact that the HDMI-CEC has been disabled or even removed, will not stop the TV from sending messages. So they will show up in the log, but I assume the box is not responding to them?

If that would be the case, you must disable the HDMI-CEC support in the menu of the TV. Looking into my TV that should be possible.
The problem is, that the box still seems to respond and e.g. switch channels. I will try to disable TV HDMI-CEC tonight.
Thanks.

2stein
08-01-13, 14:47

Well, I'm digging a little bit deeper into HDMI-CEC... and it looks like the plugin is just managing the settings in /etc/enigma2/settings.
And it also looks like there is a setting config.hdmicec.enabled which was not in my settings file.
So, I removed all the config.hdmicec.xxxxx lines and just put in config.hdmicec.enabled=false.
Maybe this makes the ghost go away now. :-)

Rob van der Does
08-01-13, 19:32
Well, I'm digging a little bit deeper into HDMI-CEC... and it looks like the plugin is just managing the settings in /etc/enigma2/settings.
And it also looks like there is a setting config.hdmicec.enabled which was not in my settings file.
So, I removed all the config.hdmicec.xxxxx lines and just put in config.hdmicec.enabled=false.
Maybe this makes the ghost go away now. :-)
I hope you stopped Enigma before editing the settingsfile? Otherwise it will be overwritten again with the old settings.
And keep us posted on how you go on :thumbsup:

2stein
08-01-13, 22:20
I hope you stopped Enigma before editing the settingsfile? Otherwise it will be overwritten again with the old settings.
And keep us posted on how you go on :thumbsup:
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't help. HDMI-CEC on TV is disabled as well, but I still see tons of

And the ghost still switches channels, displays the menu, etc.
I'm frustrated.

Rob van der Does
09-01-13, 04:57
Yes, I did. Unfortunately, it didn't help. HDMI-CEC on TV is disabled as well, but I still see tons of

And the ghost still switches channels, displays the menu, etc.
I'm frustrated.
And HDMI-CEC of the box is still de-installed? I ask that, because on doing an online update it will be re-installed.

2stein
09-01-13, 08:47
And HDMI-CEC of the box is still de-installed? I ask that, because on doing an online update it will be re-installed.
yes, the HDMI-CEC Plugin is still deinstalled. However, the real HDMI-CEC stuff is part of the enigma binary. so, it can't be deinstalled.
I suspect that the HDMI-CEC driver misinterprets some noise on the HDMI interface as commands or something like that.

2stein
09-01-13, 09:12
deleted...

Rob van der Does
09-01-13, 09:54
yes, the HDMI-CEC Plugin is still deinstalled. However, the real HDMI-CEC stuff is part of the enigma binary. so, it can't be deinstalled.
Hmmm, where did you find that? As far as I know it's only a plugin. And of course: that plugin is supported by the drivers.

2stein
09-01-13, 12:23
Hmmm, where did you find that? As far as I know it's only a plugin. And of course: that plugin is supported by the drivers.
well, i looked at the pli code repository.

Rob van der Does
09-01-13, 13:05
well, i looked at the pli code repository.
Well, allow me that sneak peek as well: where do you find it to be Enigma-integrated?

2stein
09-01-13, 14:57
Well, allow me that sneak peek as well: where do you find it to be Enigma-integrated?
well, i checked again... it's not enigma2 it's a driver that seems to be permanently active, sorry. :-) Unfortunately the driver is not standalone but bound together with others in one module, so it can't be removed easily.
i see that the driver is working with the device /dev/hdmi_cec

eHdmiCEC::eHdmiCEC()
45 : eRCDriver(eRCInput::getInstance())
46 {
47 ASSERT(!instance);
48 instance = this;
49 fixedAddress = false;
50 physicalAddress[0] = 0x10;
51 physicalAddress[1] = 0x00;
52 logicalAddress = 3;
53 deviceType = 3;
54 #ifdef DREAMBOX
55 hdmiFd = ::open("/dev/misc/hdmi_cec0", O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK);
56 #else
57 hdmiFd = ::open("/dev/hdmi_cec", O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK);
58 #endif
59 if (hdmiFd >= 0)
60 {
62 #ifdef DREAMBOX
63 unsigned int val = 0;
64 ::ioctl(hdmiFd, 4, &val);
65 #else
66 ::ioctl(hdmiFd, 0); /* flush old messages */
67 #endif
68 getAddressInfo();
69 messageNotifier = eSocketNotifier::create(eApp, hdmiFd, eSocketNotifier::Read | eSocketNotifier::Priority);
70 CONNECT(messageNotifier->activated, eHdmiCEC::hdmiEvent);
71 }
72 }
what i'm trying next is to remove the device /dev/hdmi_cec before enigma2 is started.
according to the constructor code in the device driver the device driver should be dead if it can't open the device. let's see.

Rob van der Does
09-01-13, 16:00
well, i checked again... it's not enigma2 it's a driver that seems to be permanently active, sorry. :-) Unfortunately the driver is not standalone but bound together with others in one module, so it can't be removed easily.

what i'm trying next is to remove the device /dev/hdmi_cec before enigma2 is started.
according to the constructor code in the device driver the device driver should be dead if it can't open the device. let's see.
Exactly what I said: de-instal the plugin.
Nevertheless: when both TV & box have the settings disabled, there should not be any problem.

2stein
09-01-13, 16:39
Exactly what I said: de-instal the plugin.
Nevertheless: when both TV & box have the settings disabled, there should not be any problem.
well, as i said: the plugin is deinstalled, but the device /dev/hdmi_cec is still there and the driver is active... generating messages.

2stein
09-01-13, 22:24
i see that the driver is working with the device /dev/hdmi_cec

eHdmiCEC::eHdmiCEC()
45 : eRCDriver(eRCInput::getInstance())
46 {
47 ASSERT(!instance);
48 instance = this;
49 fixedAddress = false;
50 physicalAddress[0] = 0x10;
51 physicalAddress[1] = 0x00;
52 logicalAddress = 3;
53 deviceType = 3;
54 #ifdef DREAMBOX
55 hdmiFd = ::open("/dev/misc/hdmi_cec0", O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK);
56 #else
57 hdmiFd = ::open("/dev/hdmi_cec", O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK);
58 #endif
59 if (hdmiFd >= 0)
60 {
62 #ifdef DREAMBOX
63 unsigned int val = 0;
64 ::ioctl(hdmiFd, 4, &val);
65 #else
66 ::ioctl(hdmiFd, 0); /* flush old messages */
67 #endif
68 getAddressInfo();
69 messageNotifier = eSocketNotifier::create(eApp, hdmiFd, eSocketNotifier::Read | eSocketNotifier::Priority);
70 CONNECT(messageNotifier->activated, eHdmiCEC::hdmiEvent);
71 }
72 }
i think i killed the ghost now. :-) No hdmi_cec messages in the log anymore, no mysterious channel switches.
however, there should be an easier way to disable hdmicec completely.

judge
09-01-13, 22:56
i think i killed the ghost now. :-) No hdmi_cec messages in the log anymore, no mysterious channel switches.

How did you disable it completely in the end?

2stein
09-01-13, 23:02
How did you disable it completely in the end?
i created a file /usr/bin/enigma2_pre_start.sh
with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
rm /dev/hdmi_cec
this deletes the /dev/hdmi_cec device before enigma2 starts. and without the device the hdmicec device driver doesn't work.

judge
09-01-13, 23:08
So, is you disable the plugin, restart enigma, remove the plugin, restart enigma, it's still active?

2stein
09-01-13, 23:16
So, is you disable the plugin, restart enigma, remove the plugin, restart enigma, it's still active?
removing the plugin does not remove the device driver. the device driver was still active and caused my problems.

judge
09-01-13, 23:21
That's why I'm asking, it really shouldn't be that much of a pain to remove a plugin.

Did you restart the box after first disabling the plugin.
Then again after removing the plugin.
If so, we do have an issue that probably needs fixing.

2stein
10-01-13, 06:14
That's why I'm asking, it really shouldn't be that much of a pain to remove a plugin.

Did you restart the box after first disabling the plugin.
Then again after removing the plugin.
If so, we do have an issue that probably needs fixing.
yes, i did. and i think we do have a problem.
1. problem: hdmicec doesnt work with my sony bravia tv: ghost key strokes
2. problem: it's not possible to disable hdmicec completely (the device driver)

Rob van der Does
10-01-13, 06:41
yes, i did. and i think we do have a problem.
1. problem: hdmicec doesnt work with my sony bravia tv: ghost key strokes
2. problem: it's not possible to disable hdmicec completely (the device driver)
What I still don't understand is why for my Sony Bravia it is sufficient to 'kill' those commands in the TV-menu.

Rob van der Does
10-01-13, 11:48
It looks like we found that easier solution: could you please test that for us?

Unzip the attached file plugin.zip to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/HdmiCEC and hdmicec.zip to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components, restart Enigma (without your modified startup) and see how it goes.

2stein
10-01-13, 13:41

Unzip the attached file plugin.zip to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/HdmiCEC and hdmicec.zip to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components, restart Enigma (without your modified startup) and see how it goes.
oh, thanks.
will try it tonight.
how is this supposed to work? just disable hdmicec in the plugin?

Rob van der Does
10-01-13, 14:22
how is this supposed to work? just disable hdmicec in the plugin?
Indeed: just disable the plugin and see if your ghosts have gone forever......

2stein
10-01-13, 19:33

looks good. i don't see any hdmicec messages in the log.
thanks.

Larry-G
10-02-13, 12:23
moved to here from http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?20200-New-ViX-Team-VU-Duo-OE3-0 Please be more careful where you post bug reports in the future, asposts in such large threads easily get lost ( it has just taken me 20 minutes to find all the posts relating to this issue alone ).

2stein
21-09-14, 10:37
tried hdmicec again with apollo 37 (and my sony bravia tv) and it seems to work now. thanks.