PDA

View Full Version : how long does your duo with vix take to boot????

stevejd2001
09-02-13, 18:09
Dont know if have fault with my duo as takes 4 mins from deep standbye

i have tried unmount hdd,
put swap file on usb

next will be re-flash with no recovery

however is 4 mins the norm....just seems an age and out of the norm in my opinion

cosie
09-02-13, 21:15
I'd say about 90 seconds

shizik
09-02-13, 21:19
Dont know if have fault with my duo as takes 4 mins from deep standbye

i have tried unmount hdd,
put swap file on usb

next will be re-flash with no recovery

however is 4 mins the norm....just seems an age and out of the norm in my opinion

i guess it depend what skin , build , and how many plugins you have installed . maybe try with fresh install - no plugins except default , and time how long it need to boot

polosolo
09-02-13, 21:27
From what I have read on many different forums Vix takes a long time in loading. .....4 minutes does seem excessive thou.

Have also read about the Duo memory issue leak ...This might be affecting Boot performance.....So you could try the cache memory flush plugin
Which may improve performance.

Best Regards.

Rob van der Does
09-02-13, 21:40
i guess it depend what skin , build , and how many plugins you have installed... .
And also the settings (old settings in the settings-file, many bouquets, many satellites) play an important role. it is also possible that Linux executes file-checks on connected devices.

From what I have read on many different forums Vix takes a long time in loading. ....
Try VTi and see how long a boot takes then.

Have also read about the Duo memory issue leak ...This might be affecting Boot performance.....
No way: if your DUO happens to be affaected by it (only a few are) this can only be an issue after running a number of hours.

So you could try the cache memory flush plugin
Hehe, a plugin can only be active once Enigma has started. And Enigma only starts, when Linux is alive.

polosolo
09-02-13, 21:54
And also the settings (old settings in the settings-file, many bouquets, many satellites) play an important role. it is also possible that Linux executes file-checks on connected devices.

Try VTi and see how long a boot takes then.

No way: if your DUO happens to be affaected by it (only a few are) this can only be an issue after running a number of hours.

Hehe, a plugin can only be active once Enigma has started. And Enigma only starts, when Linux is alive.

Why would I do that ? ..... I am happy. I am just stating FACT ...What I have read .

I state , Might and May for a reason ....you know :confused:

Best Regards.

Rob van der Does
09-02-13, 22:00
I am just stating FACT ...What I have read .
LOL, a contradictio in terminis; a fact is not what you read, but what you experience :whistle:

polosolo
09-02-13, 22:04
LOL, a contradictio in terminis; a fact is not what you read, but what you experience :whistle:

Your response is very confusing .. I do not contradict anything.

I see this is going nowhere so I will not post again on this thread to feed you

Best Regards

Alec
10-02-13, 00:11

Don't talk nonsense, a fact is: something that actually exists; reality; truth:

shizik
10-02-13, 00:42
From what I have read on many different forums Vix takes a long time in loading. .....4 minutes does seem excessive thou.

Have also read about the Duo memory issue leak ...This might be affecting Boot performance.....So you could try the cache memory flush plugin
Which may improve performance.

Best Regards.

never had vti installed so i cant talk about it . i had BH and by default its full with plugins it have maybe 15 or 20 of them not sure so booting is also really really long

Rob van der Does
10-02-13, 06:32
I am happy. I am just stating FACT ...What I have read.

Don't talk nonsense, a fact is: something that actually exists; reality; truth:
Exactly what I (meant to) say. So no nonsense; we agree :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
10-02-13, 06:40
Most important fact is that there are many factors that can (temporarily) influence the boot time.
The file check on start up has once taken my box 25 minutes to boot!
The only way to know what happens is to make a bootlog (Putty via RS232).

Larry-G
10-02-13, 06:48
Both of my Duo's take on average 90 seconds to 120 seconds to boot from cold ie from completely powered off, but then again i dont have mine bogged down with a lot of useless plugins. my systems are almost virgin images with just CCcam and at most 3 other plugins installed.

I have used some images in the past although i wont name names that can take a age to boot but mine are quite snappy for me.

Larry-G
10-02-13, 06:59
I am happy. I am just stating FACT ...What I have read.

It's only a FACT if you know it to be so in my opinion, and many people post things as FACT but are merely just re-posting what they have found somewhere else. if you really want to know why it's taking your receiver so long to boot you would need to create a bootlog as there are many factors that could influence the boot process.

Now it's been a while since i compared the size of the ViX image with others out there but last time i looked ViX was the slimmest or one of them at least due to us removing such things as samba and other network addons from the base image. For me, all of my boxes ( 6 of them ) boot quite quickly, although i'm not going to sit there with a stop watch timing them ( again ).

maybe it's time you looked towards your own setup to see what if any thing there could be impacting the boot time ??.

stevejd2001
10-02-13, 09:51
Problem solved.

Think got generally screwed. thought it may have been NAS check as slow on home network,

However just rebuilt with fresh flash and all seems well with same apps on etc

STILL gets stuck on boot up saying starting sometimes and cannot tellnet in as wont recongnise IP as not technically started. so just hit big red button

Rob van der Does
10-02-13, 09:55
Think got generally screwed. thought it may have been NAS check as slow on home network,
However just rebuilt with fresh flash and all seems well with same apps on etc
That's indeed an other possible issue.

STILL gets stuck on boot up saying starting sometimes and cannot tellnet in as wont recongnise IP as not technically started. so just hit big red button
That's correct: as long as the VFD is on 'starting' there's not yet any connection made (for VU's that is: this is different per brand. The Xtrends say 'booting' all the time until completely up & running).

judge
10-02-13, 11:23

Try setting a static IP on the box rather than a DHCP assigned address if you haven't done so already.

stevejd2001
10-02-13, 17:53
Try setting a static IP on the box rather than a DHCP assigned address if you haven't done so already.

got static ip address ... until fully booted wont let you connect remotely

stevejd2001
10-02-13, 17:56
UPDATE

moved location for crossepg over to HDD (i know about draw backs over usb)
moved swap over to HDD

removed usb permantely

No longer gets stuck @ starting after being in deep standbye and no longer communicating with usb

polosolo
10-02-13, 17:58
maybe it's time you looked towards your own setup to see what if any thing there could be impacting the boot time ??.

Mate ...I am very happy with my setup .. I dont have a problem whatsoever with the boot time.

I was mearly suggesting things for Steve to try .

I luv the Vix image ...and belive it to be the Best :cool:...... That`s why I picked it.

Best Regards

polosolo
10-02-13, 19:01
Just did a boot time check on mine ....... and it took around 90 seconds.

So looks like this may be around the average boot standard on most setups.

Best Regards

Rob van der Does
10-02-13, 21:00
moved location for crossepg over to HDD (i know about draw backs over usb)
moved swap over to HDD
Enlighten us please: what are the 'drawbacks over USB'? We're not aware of any :confused:

stevejd2001
11-02-13, 00:01
Enlighten us please: what are the 'drawbacks over USB'? We're not aware of any :confused:

If crossepg is downloading during early hours then HDD would have to spin whereas the USB would not hence why most users opt for USB for Epg data.
Correct me if I am wrong.
As I say all working a1 since HDD being used. Boots perfect and approx 90 secs

Rob van der Does
11-02-13, 05:26
If crossepg is downloading during early hours then HDD would have to spin whereas the USB would not hence why most users opt for USB for Epg data.
Correct me if I am wrong.
That is correct indeed, although I fail to see the disadvantage of that. After all that's what an HDD has been made for.
And SWAP on an USB-stick is never a good idea, as that's far too slow.

As I say all working a1 since HDD being used. Boots perfect and approx 90 secs
So this suggests a problem with the USB-stick, which is consistent with a file-check being carried out during the boot sequence and lengthening the boot time.

Larry-G
11-02-13, 13:25
Mate ...I am very happy with my setup .. I dont have a problem whatsoever with the boot time.

I was mearly suggesting things for Steve to try .

I luv the Vix image ...and belive it to be the Best :cool:...... That`s why I picked it.

Best Regards

I am very pleased that you are happy with your setup. my comment was not specifically directed towards your self, but ro remind users that not all problems can be attributed to the image, and to take the time to look at their own setups too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2