PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo Clone

nry
05-02-13, 22:52
So I recently purchased what I thought was a authentic Vu+ Duo box off Gumtree which has turned out to be a clone! :mad:

I have reported the issue to Gumtree/ PayPal, and because I am impatient ordered a Solo2 from world of satellite :) which I should have just done in the first place!

Anyway I could do with some advice on this problem. The seller has said they will refund me my money if I return the item, where it will be inspected. Problem being is that the device just sits on the openvix loading screen so no doubt I will be reported as damaging the item.

My questions:
Is it illegal to sell fake/clones in the UK?
What should I do?

I don't really want to return the item as no doubt I won't have a leg to stand on then.

I have seen the sticky at the top of this forum, but after some pretty specific advise on what I should do here, to hopefully get my money back and stop this guy from selling clones!

Larry-G
05-02-13, 23:30
yes it's illegal to see clones in this country as their counterfeit electrical items with no safety standards what so ever and i would personally have reported the seller to trading standards especially if he's selling them as the genuine article. what have paypal said about this ? as i would be hesitant to return the item before getting a refund.

nry
05-02-13, 23:38
Well if its illegal I don't want to return it!

I haven't escalated the claim via PayPal yet so they are not involved. Although I have contacted them via email and they asked for me to call them so plan on doing so tomorrow.

After reading the sticky that PayPal request written proof that it's a clone I am a little concerned that no where near by will be able to do this and I will need to travel miles to get somewhere appropriate.

Will give trading standards a call tomorrow too

:thumbsup:

Larry-G
05-02-13, 23:42
if paypal want verification that the unit is a clone you could always speak the the forum sponsor, he is a registered re-seller of Vu products and i'm sure he would be happy to verify if the product is real or not. but there are a few easier ways to tell.

Does the box have any form of sticker on the lower left hand side of the lid ( when the box is facing you ) ?.
Does there appear any where on the unit the term V2 or V3 ?
Did you receive a RS232 serial cable with a small printed circuit board with the unit ?.
What price did you pay for the unit ? ( if you dont mind saying ).
Did the seller at any time refer to the unit as a CE or Chinese edition Vu receiver ?

nry
05-02-13, 23:46
Does the box have any form of sticker on the lower left hand side of the lid ( when the box is facing you ) ?.Yes with url to some .tv domain
Does there appear any where on the unit the term V2 or V3 ? Not sure
Did you receive a RS232 serial cable with a small printed circuit board with the unit ?. Yes

Basically identical to the clone one in the sticky on this forum.

Larry-G
05-02-13, 23:50
Does the box have any form of sticker on the lower left hand side of the lid ( when the box is facing you ) ?.Yes with url to some .tv domain
Does there appear any where on the unit the term V2 or V3 ? Not sure
Did you receive a RS232 serial cable with a small printed circuit board with the unit ?. Yes

Basically identical to the clone one in the sticky on this forum.

Well sorry to say but you do have a cloned receiver. The url on the sticker directs you to a site where so called "clone safe" images are held. and the rs232 cable only comes with clones as it's used to flash the chip they use to bypass the Vu security measures, it is of no use what so ever to a genuine unit.

nry
05-02-13, 23:54
Thanks for your input.

Will report back once I have made progress as no doubt the information could be helpful to someone else too

Larry-G
05-02-13, 23:57
Thanks for your input.

Will report back once I have made progress as no doubt the information could be helpful to someone else too

Thanks, and please do keep us informed about how you get on with this, i personally would like to see a end to people selling these poor quality and potentially deadly imitations in this country although i realize that is never likely to happen. all we can really do is keep reporting those selling these units one person at a time.

Tyler
06-02-13, 00:52
I now only buy my boxes from sponsor.
You are 100% certain of getting the real deal not only that but the service is first class.
There are a real pleasure to deal with.

nry
06-02-13, 01:07
Wish I had just bought from a store now
Alot of hassle all this is, hoping PayPal side with me on this as its now escalated.

Seller even admitted that it's a fake and didn't advertise it as such. Hope that stands me in good ground :eek:

Larry-G
06-02-13, 01:15
Wish I had just bought from a store now
Alot of hassle all this is, hoping PayPal side with me on this as its now escalated.

Seller even admitted that it's a fake and didn't advertise it as such. Hope that stands me in good ground :eek:

Yes hopefully all goes well for you. Dont beat your self up too much about it, theres always some greedy sod out there willing to rip off the unsuspecting novice.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

manicscrewdriver
06-02-13, 01:28
I very nearly purchased a DM800SE clone a few weeks back until being otherwise persuaded by WOS who tempted me with a TM-2T which cost me about £30 more than i was going to pay for the A8P chipped 800Se:D

Clone boxes look good in theory until you try to use them. I have a SIM 2.01 (#84b) DM800HD clone which was working fairly well until i tried to install a HDD in it. The drive went in fine, all connected up fine and the box knows its there. Unfortunately the box won't initialise the drive no matter what i do. All 3 drives work fine in my other boxes when tried so i know its not the drives.

After removing the HDD it works as expected again, although since i've had it i have had issues with most of the images. Most of the Dream elite ones won't even boot up after installation, the GP3 images take about 3 years to load and then if you press the keys to fast the box green screens on you :mad:

I have had to admit defeat on the HDD front and have instead given the box to my daughter to use instead running the Blackhole Phoenix edition image that is probably well over 12 months old by now.

I also had to replace one of the capacitors on the board before it even got to 1 month old, although i think the issue was just a dry joint. I replaced 3 or 4 of the cheapo Hoo Flung Dung branded caps in the end, with decent quality Rubycon and Elna caps.

Clone boxes are false economy, no doubt about it.

Nano

cwebb66
06-02-13, 07:12
i would have to agree clones are no good , plus they can give vu a bad name if poeple dont know the real deal and a fake one

nry
06-02-13, 13:05
Have spoken to PayPal and they said they will likely need proof that the item is fake. Which brings me to my next issue, finding someone who is official enough to prove this without having to travel half way across the country!
Is there a list of authorized Vu+ dealers anywhere?

manicscrewdriver
06-02-13, 13:33
Where are you based?

I did suggest one shop in the Midlands but this forums software doesn't appear to like that particular company, although after my experiences with them I can't think why :roflmao:

Nano

nry
06-02-13, 13:37
East Midlands...

Alec
06-02-13, 13:46
Have spoken to PayPal and they said they will likely need proof that the item is fake. Which brings me to my next issue, finding someone who is official enough to prove this without having to travel half way across the country!
Is there a list of authorized Vu+ dealers anywhere?

Take the top off and take pictures, and send them to a recognised body to verify, over the net.

nry
06-02-13, 13:48
Take the top off and take pictures, and send them to a recognised body to verify, over the net.

Any recommendations?
Have tried getting in touch with Vu themselves but can't find any contact details.

marty
06-02-13, 13:56
Any recommendations?
Have tried getting in touch with Vu themselves but can't find any contact details.

http://vuplus.com/supportSalesInquiries.htm

Larry-G
06-02-13, 16:40
You will very likely not get any reply from Vu them selves. Try contacting the forum sponsor here im sure he will be all to happy to help you and he is a authorised Vu reseller.

nry
06-02-13, 16:46
Have contacted them and they do not wish to get involved.

Larry-G
06-02-13, 16:58
No worries then, in that case im out of ideas as I dont really know any other genuine retailers that well.

No doubt someone else will suggest a alternative contact.

nry
11-02-13, 19:22
Paypal have asked for proof this is a clone. So rang around a few companies today, no luck so far with responses such as
- don't want to get involved
- wouldn't know how to tell if its a counterfeit product

Anyone with any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

Larry-G
11-02-13, 19:28
as pointed out the sticker on the lid points towards a site maintained by the cloners for users to obtain so called clone safe images. also the rs232 cable and PCB board you received is never supplied with genuine receivers as they have no use for them what so ever, these are only ever used for updating the so called secret chip in the receiver that bypasses the Vu anti clone measures. you could also take a photo of the secret chip in the receiver as these are not present in the original receivers.

Take as many photos of your receiver as you can from all angles including inside and we can tell you for certain if it's a clone or not.

why not give Paypal the URL for this thread so they can see for them selves ??.

nry
11-02-13, 19:32
Paypal are insisting that it's faxed to them. Asked if I can upload documentation and they said sometimes you will be required to fax it :eek: who faxes these days?!

This is what they have asked for

To continue our investigation, we require confirmation that the item is
counterfeit. Please obtain a document from an unbiased third-party, such as
a dealer, appraiser, or another individual or organisation that is
qualified in the area of the item in question (other than yourself), which
clearly identifies the item as counterfeit. If possible, the document
should include a serial number and description of the item. Preferably,
this document should be on a letterhead because we need to know the name,
address, and phone number of the individual or organisation that issued the
document. We may contact them if necessary.

Larry-G
11-02-13, 19:35
sadly if none of the sellers are willing to get involved i dont think there is much you can do, but if i recall correctly you did say the the seller admitted to you it was a clone ? i would imagine that should be proof enough.

Rob van der Does
11-02-13, 19:36
Have a look if the attached pictures can help you.

nry
11-02-13, 20:02
sadly if none of the sellers are willing to get involved i dont think there is much you can do, but if i recall correctly you did say the the seller admitted to you it was a clone ? i would imagine that should be proof enough.

I asked them about this, they didn't have an answer for that :confused:

Larry-G
11-02-13, 20:10
I asked them about this, they didn't have an answer for that :confused:

Typical paypal, i mean if even the seller admits the unit is fake then whats their problem ?. I'm sorry i cant really be of more help than what i have posted here already but i firmly believe these potential death traps ( clones ) should be dealt with a lot harsher by our customs and trading standards personnel.