PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Box sticks on starting on boot latest builds

stevejd2001
05-02-13, 13:24
On build 600 at the moment on vu+ duo , however latelty i have noticed if I have done a full restart (rather than restart enigma) the stb just displays "starting" and will not boot.

If I completely powered down, sometimes needs to be done two or three times then it boot normally.

One can tell if it is going to boot normally as the vu+ duo lcd will be displayed shortly after power on rather than "starting"

On stable 32?? build I could power down and power on no issue. At present i have to ensure I only restart enigma others boot problem occurs

Any ideas? could it be plugin ? image?

mickyblueys
05-02-13, 13:29
This is a known issue with some vu+ duo. Both of mine been doing it since I got them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

stevejd2001
05-02-13, 13:36
is there a known resolution

Sicilian
05-02-13, 13:50
What devices do you have connected? HDD? USB stick?

mickyblueys
05-02-13, 13:53
Not as such.......... But I found mine was doing it regularly, when I had my epg to download at 01:00am autobouquets to update at 01:10am. Then I had it to power off in power timers at 01:30am. Then set to power back on at 07:00am. (it would regularly fail to power back on e.g. starting......fault like yours).

Now I have it to do the epg update at 07:10am. Autobouquet update at 07:20am. After it has powered back on.

I am using a 96mb swap file ( in vix swap manager), and plug in, cacheflush. Both of my duos seem to boot back up much better now. The fault may occur once every couple of weeks now may be not even that......hope this helps.

stevejd2001
05-02-13, 20:06
Hi I have USB connected for Epg only ...I have tried boot without plugged in.
Internal HDD with 96Mb swap file. (is swap file better on USB?)

Could it be plugins processing @ start up.
Obviously don't want to remove.

I never power mine down unless it gets stuck which is after update which unfortunately has been on daily basis cos of lots of updates.

Just don't like pulling power whilst display starting, ...could this damage anything?

mickyblueys
05-02-13, 20:19
Yes it could damage. When it gets stuck you need to telnet into box

init 4

this will kill enigma, then it should be safe to power off. Leave it off for a good minute to give capacitors time to discharge, then you can power back on.

Larry-G
05-02-13, 20:22
These receivers are basically linux computers, you should always where possible perform a proper powerdown cycle, I do know however that this is not always possible.

mickyblueys
05-02-13, 20:23
I have my swap file on hdd I prefer it that way. In my view when it is needed it will write and read quicker that way, than to a usb

Larry-G
05-02-13, 20:24
Hi I have USB connected for Epg only ...I have tried boot without plugged in.
Internal HDD with 96Mb swap file. (is swap file better on USB?)

Could it be plugins processing @ start up.
Obviously don't want to remove.

I never power mine down unless it gets stuck which is after update which unfortunately has been on daily basis cos of lots of updates.

Just don't like pulling power whilst display starting, ...could this damage anything?

It could be that the receiver is running a check on your HDD but this would only be known for sure by creating a bootlog. if you are having this problem regularly i would suggest you try to make a bootlog to see if that can shed any light on the problem.

Larry-G
05-02-13, 20:26
I have my swap file on hdd I prefer it that way. In my view when it is needed it will write and read quicker that way, than to a usb

As far as i know thats not always the case though, if the HDD is already spinning then yes it would be fine, but if it's idle it will have to first spin the HDD which will impact overall system performance. Personally i would say use a USB key for Swap files but thats just my opinion.

mickyblueys
05-02-13, 20:32
Never thought of it that way, if I have trouble then I will change to USB to compare, cheers

garryboy
06-02-13, 10:02
These receivers are basically linux computers, you should always where possible perform a proper powerdown cycle, I do know however that this is not always possible.

Out of curiosity what is the proper power down procedure before switching power off.

I tend to put it into deep standbye then flick power switch off on back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

stevejd2001
06-02-13, 13:28
Out of curiosity what is the proper power down procedure before switching power off.

I tend to put it into deep standbye then flick power switch off on back.

Is it my box or is the norm ....from deep standby or powered off it takes approx 4 mins to fully boot

Larry-G
06-02-13, 16:43
Deep standby should be fine although there should be a power down option there too. To be honest mine never gets fullt powered off its either left in standby or occasionally put into deep sleep.