PDA

View Full Version : I want to study Linux

Zapp
26-09-10, 15:45
Being a programmer myself, I am tired of feeling stupid when it comes to my Vuduo which is, after all, a Linux box. So I decided to start and study Linux. What distro is best in order to understand the Vu+? Are there any guides on the web that I can download for free? I know C, C# and many other languages.

thanx all

bobonthejob
26-09-10, 15:54
You will be good with any flava of linux to be honest....

Give Fedora a crack....

Zapp
26-09-10, 17:22
What about Mint Linux? I like the idea of installing in a virtual machine anyway ...
And can you point me to some free guides?

silverfox0786
25-11-10, 00:06
What about Mint Linux? I like the idea of installing in a virtual machine anyway ...

TBH i would agree with bob Fedora is the project designed for noobies and they have manuals and help guides on their site

Larry-G
25-11-10, 00:10

if you want to install a virtual machine look towards a programme called VMware. this will allow you to install as many virtual machines as you like.
i currently have x3 versions of windows 7 , windows xp , backtrack 4 , umbuntu 10-10 , slax and many other OS's installed on my machine using this method.

fintannl
25-11-10, 00:42
did rewrite unix drivers to run multiple computer systems. takes a matter of effort and willing. it aint that hard but it does take time

andyblac
25-11-10, 12:20
the Vu+ is based on BusyBox, a cutdown version on linux for embedded systems (like RAIDS etc), not all command are used in it. so if you can get one for that, it will be you best bet. else just install unbuntu, and have play around, again just beware when trying some commands on your Vu+

Ojustaboo
25-11-10, 14:28
Plenty of Linux forums around with a wealth of advice, such as

http://www.linuxquestions.org/A link to (and a list of the most popular) distributions can be found at

http://distrowatch.com/Depending on how much you want to learn depends on which distro is best in my opinion.

Ubuntu is probably the most widely supported for people new to the distro but it does a lot of the stuff for you. If your interested in simply using it, then it's probably one of the best out there.

On the other hand, if you want to learn all the under hood stuff, playing around with something like Gentoo (loads of documentation on the Gentoo site) where you can tailor every package to your liking and compile it to your exact PC spec, can teach you a lot more but can be a steep learning curve. Although Gentoo have easier options available now, when I first installed it (when PC's were much slower), I spent around a day waiting for the desktop to compile.

I love Linux, always been a Unix fan, lots of similarities. Only thing I hate with Linux are the anti MS fanboys.