PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] CacheFlush plugin. Settings

MarsArtis
02-02-13, 19:16
Hi there,
as for suggestions I installed this plugin to try and avoid my DUO have systemcrash due to memory issues.
Settings are almost clear, just want to ask how to handle the Clean "dirty" cache too settings.
By default it's off. Is it safe to turn it on?
And what is this dirty cache?

mickyblueys
02-02-13, 19:23
Mine is turned on, and has done no harm. Also increase "uncached memory size" to 20480kb

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MarsArtis
03-02-13, 09:40
This plugin is a blessing for DUO.
Why is not stresses out that it's a lifesaver!!
After installing it, I restarted enigma 2, and once accessed the Caceflush settings I noticed that free memory was about 1%!!!!
After a flush free memory went to 48%.
This is a must for DUO owners.

Larry-G
03-02-13, 09:47
I noticed that free memory was about 1%!!!!

Dont forget that Linux sees free memory very differently to Windows.

This plugin is handy for those suffering the infamous memory leak ( Duo ), It is also worth saying that i have never once had to use it or any form of swap file on either of my Duo's.

MarsArtis
03-02-13, 09:50
phoenix, you are a lucky guy.
I had this kind of issue on ALL my 3 DUOs

afc_rich
03-02-13, 22:32
Mine is turned on, and has done no harm. Also increase "uncached memory size" to 20480kb

Just to confirm have you set the uncached memory size to 2048 kB or 20480 kB?

stick50jr
04-02-13, 00:19
This plugin is handy for those suffering the infamous memory leak ( Duo ), It is also worth saying that i have never once had to use it or any form of swap file on either of my Duo's.

One of the infamous memory leaks (Duo) may be associated with the vtuner (virtual tuner) implementation... I use a dual usb tuner (uses vtuner x 2) and the cacheflush has certainly reduced my problems.

If Phoenix uses only the internal tuners, then he might not need to use cacheflush. (Speculation on my part:))

Anyhow, with cacheflush, dual usb dvb-t tuners and Vix 3.0 Build 589; I have a very stable 4 tuner VuDuo... very happy!

MarsArtis
04-02-13, 07:06
so this could be the reason for everytime I tried to install the A867 after few days of use the DUOs became unresponsive and neither accessible via telnet or FTP...
stickjunior this was the connection I was sure beeing there, but no one else pointed out which was the actual cause of it.

Rob van der Does
04-02-13, 07:17
This plugin is a blessing for DUO.
Why is not stresses out that it's a lifesaver!!
After installing it, I restarted enigma 2, and once accessed the Caceflush settings I noticed that free memory was about 1%!!!!

Dont forget that Linux sees free memory very differently to Windows.

Normally Linux uses as much as possible memory (and the logic behind it is: why would you not use the memory you bought?) and has a very smart memory controller. One should not interfere with it.
However: several DUO's are affected by a suspected memory leak problem. As far as I know no one ever connected that with an USB-tuner, but with an internal HDD. Anyway: my DUO suffered from it and I never used an external tuner.
Now in this specific case, messing around with memory control proves to be worthwhile:
1- Activating a SWAP-file actually provides more memory to Linux (and with the new swap-settings the SWAP will only be used when really required, so the normal slowing down the box because of using SWAP won't happen);
2- Using the CacheFlush plugin regains as much as possible memory, including 'leaked'memory.

It has turned out that both the above tricks made the affected DUO's stable again.

stick50jr
04-02-13, 08:45
As far as I know no one ever connected that with an USB-tuner, but with an internal HDD. Anyway: my DUO suffered from it and I never used an external tuner.

AndyB and Gennar1 have both suggested this to me (ie vtuner had problems/memory allocation problems). For a long time I have relied on rebooting the Duo every night. However, this wasn't always sufficient... some builds had their own memory leaks which caused deterioration more rapidly.

Quite recently, I became aware of cacheflush and have set this to flush every 30 minutes. This works fine with build 574, build 589 and so far seems good with build 600. However, there have been builds in between that have been disastrous for usb tuner stability. It seems to me that if there are problems with an image, then the usb tuner / vtuner issue will be much more evident.

Anyhow, cacheflush is much more convenient than rebooting the box... so cacheflush is very much appreciated here!

Marsartis, usb tuner & leaving it for several days between reboots... yes I agree is a problem with the Duo unless you use cacheflush instead:). I still reboot regularly because I'm always trying new builds... but I no longer have a timer set to do this over night.

MarsArtis
04-02-13, 09:27
I do agree with stick50jr.
Everything he mentioned has actually happened to me in the very same way.
I was really getting concerned about the fact that something strange was only happening to me.
Obviously I'm here for any test developers would try to improve DUO performances under VIX

Rob van der Does
04-02-13, 11:09
There's nothing we can do about this issue: it's driver related and VU+ knows about it since they went to the 3.x kernel.

And again: I very much doubt if there's any relation with external tuners: the affected boxes I know of so far had no external tuners at all. But it doesn't really matter what's related or not, as we can't cure it at all. The only thing you can do is to use swap & cache flush.

mickyblueys
04-02-13, 12:43
There's nothing we can do about this issue: it's driver related and VU+ knows about it since they went to the 3.x kernel.

And again: I very much doubt if there's any relation with external tuners: the affected boxes I know of so far had no external tuners at all. But it doesn't really matter what's related or not, as we can't cure it at all. The only thing you can do is to use swap & cache flush.

I can confirm both my duos suffer from this problem, and I don't use USB tuners!

stick50jr
05-02-13, 03:15
I'm not saying you don't have problems:)

What I'm saying is that if you have external tuners (vtuner) then you're problems will be much more obvious... things fall apart in a matter of hours in some cases. With external tuners, significant memory blocks have to be allocated as buffers and memory becomes scarce more quickly.

Incidently, I've only experienced mild problems with my Duo when the external tuners are not connected. Without external tuners connected, the Duo can go more than 24 hours without problems. The problems are sometimes bought on more quickly by more user activity (replays with lots of jumping of ads etc).

Regardless of the root causes, the interim solution is cacheflush for me.

Rob van der Does
05-02-13, 08:32
You're right: no one is sure about what triggers this bug. May even be more then one cause. VU+ has never been able to reproduce it, not even with my box (that didn't survive 24 hrs with any image) which has been sent to them.
And SWAP + CacheFlush seems a working solution (work-around in fact).

MarsArtis
05-02-13, 09:07
just to better clarify, such Issue started with the latest kernel release. Right? So previous VIX 2.4 would be more stable for DUOs. Am I wrong?

Rob van der Does
05-02-13, 09:13
just to better clarify, such Issue started with the latest kernel release. Right? So previous VIX 2.4 would be more stable for DUOs. Am I wrong?
Correct: VU+ introduced this with their first release of the kernel 3.x drivers and never fixed it.
Before we knew that SWAP + CacheFlush did the trick we indeed did advise to revert to kernel 2.x images.

Be advised that only a very small number of DUO's is affected by this system-crash problem.

Larry-G
05-02-13, 16:53
Be advised that only a very small number of DUO's is affected by this system-crash problem.

Yep and rather luckily neither of mine has ever suffered any such issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tsiklon
08-06-13, 12:14
Are the default settings OK for this plugin on a Vu+ Duo? What are the recommended settings for 'uncachced memory size' and 'timeout'?

batica 16
05-07-17, 21:33
Where to download the plugin cache flush 1.7 ipk

twol
05-07-17, 21:55
Where to download the plugin cache flush 1.7 ipk

On which receiver are you planning to use it?

batica 16
05-07-17, 22:02
Dreambox 800 hd pvr clone ferrari sim with image openatv 4.2

cactikid
06-07-17, 07:38
this forum does not support clone receivers so you wont get any help.:smash: