PDA

View Full Version : [CrossEPG-Other] EPG disappearing

eamo
30-01-13, 10:43
I have 2 Gigablue UE 800 receivers. I am running vix version 569 on one box and 574 on the other. I have configured crossepg as per this http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14373-How-to-setup-Crossepg-in-all-ViX-Images

I am saving my epg to a usb stick on both boxes. THe epg is downloading and populating as it should.

However every couple of days when I power the boxes on look at the epg it is not populated and I have to download the epg again. Even loading the existing epg wont work - i have to donwload it again.

Any reason why this is happening?

drx360
30-01-13, 11:22
this is also happening on my dads TM-single.

eamo
31-01-13, 17:38
anyone?????

Larry-G
05-02-13, 01:26
How are you powering the box down ?.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

eamo
05-02-13, 13:10
i have reconfigured the power button on both boxes for immediate shut down. For one of the boxes, when it has shut down, I unplug it. The other box is not powered off but left in deep standby

ans it still happens on both boxes

Sicilian
05-02-13, 13:15
What time is Crossepg set to update? If in deep standby or powered off it will not update.

eamo
05-02-13, 14:01
its not - once the epg is downloaded i should have the contents for seven days. im only getting 2 maybe 3 days of the epg then i have to manually download again. if i could turn off the clock on the lccd panel on the recevier when its in standby i would schedule it.

Sicilian
05-02-13, 14:10
its not - once the epg is downloaded i should have the contents for seven days. im only getting 2 maybe 3 days of the epg then i have to manually download again. if i could turn off the clock on the lccd panel on the recevier when its in standby i would schedule it.

Well just schedule it to run in when the unit is going to be switched on or in normal standby.

eamo
05-02-13, 14:45
i shouldnt have to. surely if one downloads an epg for 7 days then it shoud stay on your receiver for 7 days. and not disappear after 2-3 days????

eamo
05-02-13, 14:50
by the way - i the box running 574 is now running 590 with still the same issue

shizik
05-02-13, 14:53
i had the same problem , what i did is i deleted manual epg from my USB , downloaded again and epg didn't disappeared anymore

eamo
06-02-13, 11:09
i had the same problem , what i did is i deleted manual epg from my USB , downloaded again and epg didn't disappeared anymore

ok i did this last night, downloaded my epg so Ill see how I get on.

eamo
07-02-13, 11:15
woke up this morning turned on my receiver and guess what - epg gone!!

didnt work im afraid

Larry-G
07-02-13, 19:10
Just set a daily EPG download for sometime after the receiver is powered on.

Rob van der Does
07-02-13, 20:00
Just set a daily EPG download for sometime after the receiver is powered on.
Or use powertimers to wake the box in time for the download and to let it sleep again when done.

Larry-G
07-02-13, 20:35
Or use powertimers to wake the box in time for the download and to let it sleep again when done.

Yes that would be the best thing as once setup its fully automated.

AP2
07-02-13, 21:33
woke up this morning turned on my receiver and guess what - epg gone!!

didnt work im afraid

Been having a similar issue with my Uno, tracked it down to a usb issue seems the box was loosing the usb drive, unplug it then plug it back in and it would be fine for a day or two in the end I moved the usb to another slot and all is good again. Is there anyway to see if your usb is working when your epg isnt?

eamo
07-02-13, 23:21
where do i find power timers?

Stanman
07-02-13, 23:22
menu >timers>powertimers

eamo
07-02-13, 23:22
where do i find power timers?

found it!!

Clabs
07-02-13, 23:23
Menu>Timers>PowerTimers

eamo
07-02-13, 23:29
menu >timers>powertimers

cheers:thumbsup:

polosolo
12-02-13, 04:51
I have this same issue on the latest Vix image with EPG set to the HD, so its not a usb problem me thinks.

Best regards

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 06:30
I've said it many times before: locating EPG to HDD or USB will make no difference for the system.

redrobin
12-02-13, 09:52
I've got a similar issue, the EPG should be saved to the HD. Did a manual download of CrossEPG via blue button, EPG is downloaded, shutdown the box, after rebooting the EPG is gone (checking on Premier Sports Channel, strangely BBC channels EPG remains).

Downloaded EPG again, went into MENU, EPG option and manually Saved the EPG, shutdown and the rebooted the EPG remains.

It seems as though the EPG is not being saved after download via the blue button.

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 10:56
I've got a similar issue, the EPG should be saved to the HD.
1- Is it an internal HDD?
2- Did you mount the HDD via the mountmagaer?
3- After setting epg to the HDD location, did you restart Enigma?

Did a manual download of CrossEPG via blue button, EPG is downloaded,
4- How do you know that?
4a-Did you check via the info menu inside Cross?
4b-Did you check the data of the files in HDD/crossepg

shutdown the box
5- How did you shut down the box?

after rebooting the EPG is gone (checking on Premier Sports Channel, strangely BBC channels EPG remains).
6- And you also checked the info on Cross again? And the date/time of the file epg.dat?

Downloaded EPG again, went into MENU, EPG option and manually Saved the EPG, shutdown and the rebooted the EPG remains.
7- So all works fine then?

It seems as though the EPG is not being saved after download via the blue button.
8- Well, you just said it does :confused:

redrobin
12-02-13, 12:53
1- Is it an internal HDD?
2- Did you mount the HDD via the mountmagaer?
3- After setting epg to the HDD location, did you restart Enigma?

4- How do you know that?
4a-Did you check via the info menu inside Cross?
4b-Did you check the data of the files in HDD/crossepg

5- How did you shut down the box?

6- And you also checked the info on Cross again? And the date/time of the file epg.dat?

7- So all works fine then?

8- Well, you just said it does :confused:

The HDD is internal mounted, been using it fine since getting the box a few months ago. The EPG was always saving in the VIX version prior to the need to re-install from USB Stick (can't remember which version).

After pressing the blue button and selecting CrossEPG, it downloads the EPG once it had finished pressed the EPG button whilst on Premier Sports and it list the correct contents.

The box would have been put into Standby, a long time (hours) after the EPG was downloaded, and then unplugged at night.
The following morning rebooted and after pressing EPG button the listing on premier sports no longer there (would have waited half an hour or more before pressing EPG).

The EPG download is saved if i go into Menu, EPG and manually save the EPG prior to shutting down with the same procedure.

Next time, i download via the blue button, i will check the time stamp on the EPG dat file.

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 13:50
The box would have been put into Standby, a long time (hours) after the EPG was downloaded, and then unplugged at night.
The following morning rebooted and after pressing EPG button the listing on premier sports no longer there (would have waited half an hour or more before pressing EPG).
Well: that's the reason of your problem then: unplugging a bug that's in standby means no proper shut down is carried out hence no EPG data will be saved. Never do this: you can even damage the hardware!

Next time, i download via the blue button, i will check the time stamp on the EPG dat file.
That's no use: the data is only written upon (proper) shutdown of Enigma2, not on importing EPG.

polosolo
12-02-13, 14:06
Well: that's the reason of your problem then: unplugging a bug that's in standby means no proper shut down is carried out hence no EPG data will be saved. Never do this: you can even damage the hardware!

Ok I may look like a fool but please do enlighten me, what the correct procedure is for unplugging a box once it’s in standby.
I see no other alternative , other than the switch via the back of the unit.....But this will achive the same results.
Is there a shutdown option in the menu of Vix? I do not Belive there is.

Best Regards.

Larry-G
12-02-13, 14:11
Ok I may look like a fool but please do enlighten me, what the correct procedure is for unplugging a box once it’s in standby.
I see no other alternative , other than the switch via the back of the unit.....But this will achive the same results.
Is there a shutdown option in the menu of Vix? I do not Belive there is.

Best Regards.

Menu> standby / restart> SHUTDOWN.

not really sure how to make it any clearer than that.

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 14:16
And there is a much more elegant way: use a powertimer (or one of the other options) to shut down the box.
And as the power-consumption when powered down is approx 0.1W there's no reason at all to pull the plug/use the switch on the back.

polosolo
12-02-13, 14:26
Menu> standby / restart> SHUTDOWN.

not really sure how to make it any clearer than that.

This option ONLY restarts the box.....This is not a shutdown option :confused: as u still need to unplug the box.
Not really sure how to make it any clearer than that .

There does seem to be some kind of data saving problem in the EPG once the box loser’s power is unplugged. This needs to be investigated.

Best Regards.

polosolo
12-02-13, 14:41
O k ....so I have done a few tests. And can confirm the only way to save your current EPG state... if you are required to unplug the box for whatever reason, you must place the box in a DEEP STAND BY state and then you can remove the plug , Power off. The EPG remains if this option is done.

Best Regards

judge
12-02-13, 15:05
or, you could restart E2 after EPG has been populated & then pull the plug.
Pulling the plug on any live box is never a good idea though.
What image version are you using by the way?

polosolo
12-02-13, 15:09
Latest Vix image and build m8 on a Vu Ultimo .

I am just glad I found the solution to my problem with the EPG vanishing , so this should help others who need to unplug there receivers for whatever reasons.

Best Regards.

judge
12-02-13, 15:14
Not having a dig, but people who say 'Latest Vix image' really annoy me...
Latest could mean anything & doesn't help when others have similar issues down the road.
The actual build number means a lot more than latest build.

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 15:20
I am just glad I found the solution to my problem with the EPG vanishing , so this should help others who need to unplug there receivers for whatever reasons.
Sorry to say, but I really wonder if there are any people out there who 'pull the plug' of a live system and then complain about the system loosing data :confused:

polosolo
12-02-13, 15:22
Apologies m8, I should have been more specific, openvix-3.0.600-vuultimo

Sorry to say, but I really wonder if there are any people out there who 'pull the plug' of a live system and then complain about the system loosing data :confused:

Please DO NOT assume I have pulled the plug on a live system . I put all my systems into STAND BY and then remove the plug if I so desire. There is no other way to do this :confused: unless you are a magician .....which you are mot :) Your statements is unfounded .

I have mearly found the solution to my problem and helped others to sole ther issue.

Best Regards

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 16:46
Please DO NOT assume I have pulled the plug on a live system . I put all my systems into STAND BY and then remove the plug
You don't get the message: an STB in 'standby' is a live system.
Compare it with the screensaver in use on your PC.
The only difference between 'On' and 'StandBy' is that the video- and audio outputs are turned off (and possibly the LNB as well).
So in 'StandBy' an STB is fully alive.

polosolo
12-02-13, 17:04
You don't get the message: .[/I]

I think you miss the point?? How do we unplug it then. :confused: The system is always live in stand bye or Deep stand bye

Do we keep it plugged in forever. :eek: I think not ... as user do need to unplug from time to time for various reasons , and placeing the system in DEEP STAND BY Will allow user to do so without losing there Data.

Best Regards.

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 17:10
LOL 'StandBy' is not the same as 'Deep StandBy'............
'Standby' means a live system; 'Deep Standby' means shut down.

Larry-G
12-02-13, 17:12
I think you miss the point?? How do we unplug it then. :confused:

Do we keep it plugged in forever. :eek: I think not ... as user do need to unplug from time to time for various reasons , and placeing the system in DEEP STAND BY Will allow user to do so without losing there Data.

Best Regards.

I think your confusing your self.

Standby basically just disables video and audio outputs, the rest of the system is still alive.

Deep standby is almost but not quite a power down but stil allows for the box to wake for recordings etc.

The thing is these modern receivers are pretty much just pc's and as such there is no real need to power then off each night, it can actually be harmful to do so.

if you do need to, use the deep standby option before removing the power or better still use the power manager options in the image to automate the power down and wake up cycles.

polosolo
12-02-13, 17:41
I think your confusing your self.

Sorry to say but I am not the one confussed..:cool:

Please Re read my posts again and you will actually see all that you have just stated is indeed in my previous posts . :D

This thread needs closing now as the solution has been found .:)

Best Regards

Larry-G
12-02-13, 17:44
Sorry to say but I am not the one confussed..:cool:

Please Re read my posts again and you will actually see all that you have just stated is indeed in my previous posts . :D

This thread needs closing now as the solution has been found .:)

Best Regards

I have read your posts word for word and as has been said many times standby is totally different to deep standby.

As for closing the thread that's a decision we will make as and when we feel it is needed.

polosolo
12-02-13, 17:53
Deleted .

Rob van der Does
12-02-13, 18:06
Closed this thread as this is going nowhere.