PDA

View Full Version : DCC E2 deleted the settings file /etc/enigma2/settings

rafamarfer
29-01-13, 06:05
Hello everyone. Yesterday I was editing the file settings in the folder /etc/enigma2/ with the tool DCC E2, when I was recording the changes the DCC E2 crashed and I have to start it again. My surprise was to see that the file content had been deleted. i have been looking for a backup of this file but I don't have it. Now I am worry to reboot the system, I think that this file has to be in other folder but i have no clue where to look for. Please I need help, if I reboot, will it be generated?

Rob van der Does
29-01-13, 06:38
Which image are you using?

And for the next time: never ever try to edit any file when Enigma is active. Apart from accepting problems as you did, the file will be overwritten again by the original file that is hold in memory by E2.

rafamarfer
29-01-13, 08:44
Thanks Rob, I will follow your advice. Please, when you said that the file will be overwritten by the original, I understand that this will happen if I reboot the system or what do I have to do in order the file to be overwritten?

Rob van der Does
29-01-13, 09:50
Thanks Rob, I will follow your advice. Please, when you said that the file will be overwritten by the original, I understand that this will happen if I reboot the system or what do I have to do in order the file to be overwritten?
On startup E2 reads the file and keeps it in memory. On several moments (e.g. when E2 is being stopped, but also on opening and closing any menu-item) the file will be written. So whatever you do: as long as E2 is alive he's 'the boss' over the contents of the settings file. Only way out is to kill E2 before manually editing.
The normal workflow is to use the telnet command 'init 4' to stop e2, edit whatever you want, save your work, and then telnet 'init 3' to revive E2.