PDA

View Full Version : Simple question ----- newbie needs answer

Recallmcq
26-01-13, 22:27
Ok gigablue box or vu box which is best ?

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 22:33
all depends what you are wanting it for, e.g number of tuners??, transcoding??..............etc

judge
26-01-13, 22:33
pretty subjective & all depends on your needs...

warajoker
26-01-13, 22:39
id say vu+solo2 as I have had the gigablue quad which I sold to purchase the solo2
Ok gigablue box or vu box which is best ?

Recallmcq
26-01-13, 22:53
What made you change to the vu?

warajoker
26-01-13, 23:09
What made you change to the vu? transcoding, gigabit Ethernet, support, build quality, latest 3x kernel, performance

judge
26-01-13, 23:10
transcoding, gigabit Ethernet, support, build quality, performance

out of those 5, which stand up since making the change?
just wondering.

warajoker
26-01-13, 23:11
build quality is a lot better. as my quad had broken plastic inside of the receiver and the screws were in to tight which caused the clips that hold the front panel to the box to snap causing the front panel to fall loose. the gb Ethernet makes ftping movies/files a lot faster. transcoding works a treat so I can watch my football at work. performance is fantastic i get no pink screen , no glitching after resuming play after fast forwarding and no black screen after exiting recorded programs like I had on the quad. it also has the latest kernel which is oviously better for more plugin support etc.

judge
26-01-13, 23:15
transcoding, gigabit Ethernet, support, build quality, latest 3x kernel, performance

what do you mean?

I don't have either box, so just wondering is support better, build quality better and so on with the Solo2 as you suggest.

warajoker
26-01-13, 23:17
I don't have either box, so just wondering is support better, build quality better and so on with the Solo2 as you suggest. I edited my other post above. read there

Stanman
26-01-13, 23:51
I have the GB Quad and would disagree with Warajoker about its build quality.

took it apart to fit a 1TB internal HD and had no problems fitting it or removing cover, no plastic clips were broken in its installation.

Both are good boxes and I will be ordering a SOLO2 for a friend as his requirements are just for twin tuners, whereas I need more tuners.

People have complained about the PQ on the Gb Quad but to me it seems fine and no different from my other boxes - Ultimo, TM2T, ET5000

warajoker
27-01-13, 00:10
this is just my experience with it mate. I understand that not every one made is going to be the same as the one I purchased but Ive seen another post on this forum that had the same problem as me. but I understand that not every one made is going to be built to perfection. I guess I was just one of the few that received a bad one. but they are both very good stb and I would recommend any of them to anyone

took it apart to fit a 1TB internal HD and had no problems fitting it or removing cover, no plastic clips were broken in its installation.

Both are good boxes and I will be ordering a SOLO2 for a friend as his requirements are just for twin tuners, whereas I need more tuners.

People have complained about the PQ on the Gb Quad but to me it seems fine and no different from my other boxes - Ultimo, TM2T, ET5000

BubbleBalls
27-01-13, 00:46
build quality is a lot better. as my quad had broken plastic inside of the receiver and the screws were in to tight which caused the clips that hold the front panel to the box to snap causing the front panel to fall loose. the gb Ethernet makes ftping movies/files a lot faster. transcoding works a treat so I can watch my football at work. performance is fantastic i get no pink screen , no glitching after resuming play after fast forwarding and no black screen after exiting recorded programs like I had on the quad. it also has the latest kernel which is oviously better for more plugin support etc.
I have a Vu Duo and GB Quad. Duo does have a better build quality. It feels sturdy and robust. The Quad is lighter and seems to comprise of more plastic parts - assume this keeps costs down. I too found an internal connector cracked. Yes, black screen shows when exiting files, but I understand this will be resolved in updates, along with kernal. I would like transcoding though.

From what I have read, the Duo started in this fashion - a long bedding-in period before becoming a rock solid box. From Ireland, I wanted a terrestrial tuner, which I got on the Duo using USB. This has been unstable and, again from what I have read, could have been addressed by Vu some time ago.

For me, at this time and for my requirements, the Quad fit the list. Four tuners, one dedicated internal T (very important for me), and the improved processor (same as solo2). Honestly, I lean toward the Vu, BUT I am patient - I believe the Quad will deliver.
For my requirements the Quad worked out cheaper than the Vu alternative, and I knew time would be needed for the Quad to become settled. So far, so good.

Maybe the Quad is a little sensitive to shipping conditions. For PQ - I notice no difference in Sat SD/HD between the Duo/Quad but terrestrial on the Quad needs some fine tuning.