PDA

View Full Version : USB Timeshift and HDD standby problems

Eiji
26-01-13, 22:26
I have a 1TB Samsung M8 HDD installed in my Solo2 box flashed with Vix 3.0.569 image. It was previously installed in a DM800SE (running OpenPLI 2.1b). I have it set to standby/spindown after 10 minutes of idle time. This worked fine on the DM800SE but the HDD is always on even when not recording in the Solo2. I am using the HDD only for recording, not Crossepg or Picons which I have on a 8GB USB Pen drive I have connected to the box.

The second problem is setting a different location for timeshift. I want to use my 8GB USB Pen drive as the timeshift location but I can't add another location under the timeshift settings, I can only remove the current default bookmark which is "hdd/timeshift".

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 22:29
i believe to use you're usb for timeshift you need to let the box initialise the usb to EXT4 format, have you done this??

judge
26-01-13, 22:35
No idea about your HDD but for timeshift, the device has to be formatted ext, what format is your USB?

Eiji
26-01-13, 23:51
No idea about your HDD but for timeshift, the device has to be formatted ext, what format is your USB?

It was formatted on the Dreambox with OpenPLi 2.1. I'm guessing it's EXT3 then. Does it need to be EXT4?

Also, if I convert the HDD from EXT3 to EXT4, will I lose my recordings? What is the benefit from EXT3 to EXT4?

Stanman
26-01-13, 23:55
EXT3 to EXT4 makes the HDD more effiecient - one of the techys will tell you why / how.

If you convert it on the box, you will not lost any of the files as long as you do a convert and not initialise.

Eiji
28-01-13, 03:17
Ok, it seems like both USB pen drive and HDD are listed as "ext4 R/W" under mount manager. I still can't add another location under Timeshift settings. I can only remove the current bookmark which is "hdd/timeshift".

Not sure why I can't add another location. What file can I edit via FTP in flash to add another location for timeshift?

josh_g
28-01-13, 13:41
You need to plug it in the box and go to mount manager to mount it. Yormat it to the correct format ext 3/4 and then you should be able to use it for time shift

09-03-13, 06:42
Another problem I share. I don't want to use an USB stick, internal HDD or external HDD, I want to use the HDD in my pc. The pc and solo are on the same network and I've mounted the 2 folders I want to use successfully, I can see and play the contents but I have the same problem for making TV recordings and time shift - I can't set another location under the settings, I can only remove the current default bookmark which is "hdd/timeshift". I can see my other files but can't choose them as a location to use.

09-03-13, 08:14
Sussed it. A bit. To add a bookmark...
Menu..set up...system...recording settings.....ok.....menu....1....list of storage devices......select location manually then click BLUE, add bookmark
Same with timeshift.