PDA

View Full Version : Current Best Linux based HD receivers

matty_keane
26-01-13, 19:35
Hi All,

I am currently in the market for two new boxes. I will try to explain as best I can my needs for these boxes. I would like both boxes to have decent support with the likes of Vix etc, and a 7 Day EPG.

1st Box will be my main box to replace my existing Sky+HD box
- Dual Tuner so I can watch one channel and record another
I have posted before, and had narrowed it down to TM Twin-2T box or the VU+ Solo2. I think I am leaning towards the Solo2, as I am hoping to get a decent box now that will last me for quite a few years, and although the Solo2 is a bit more expensive than the Twin-2T, the support seems to be more full proof at the moment with regards additional options like iplayer etc.

2nd Box is essentially a multi-room box to replace my standard single feed sky box
- Single Tuner
- 7 Day EPG
- HD
- Ability to record via USB or internal hard drive (I am aware that this box will only record the channel which is currently viewing)
- Preferably ~= £150 or less if possible, again with decent support.

Any suggestions you have or advice is welcome. Will most likely be purchasing from the sponsor so something that they have available would be good.

Thanks

marty
26-01-13, 19:41
You could do worse than the TM-Single for your 2nd box :)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?25631-My-TM-Single-review

Both the TM-Twin and Solo2 are good choices (I personally use GB Quad as my main box) The TM will be the best value for money :thumbsup: but a GB Quad will have the option of more tuners soon :cool:

marty
26-01-13, 19:43
BTW, plugins should work on any box ;)

matty_keane
26-01-13, 20:21
You could do worse than the TM-Single for your 2nd box :)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?25631-My-TM-Single-review

Both the TM-Twin and Solo2 are good choices (I personally use GB Quad as my main box) The TM will be the best value for money :thumbsup: but a GB Quad will have the option of more tuners soon :cool:

How would you compare a TM-single to a GB HD800 UE, given that they are both roughly the same price?

Took a look at the GB quad, but I think the TM-Twin and Solo2 are still ahead at the moment for me. Won't be needing anymore than 2 tuners.

marty
26-01-13, 20:35
How would you compare a TM-single to a GB HD800 UE, given that they are both roughly the same price?

TM has more of everything (cpu/mem) and can take an internal HDD

matty_keane
26-01-13, 20:40
TM has more of everything (cpu/mem) and can take an internal HDD

So if I was leaning towards a TM-single, do you think it would be advisable to also go with the TM-Twin as my main box? As in stick with the same manufacturer so that I would be more familiar with the setup/firmware/plugins?

Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

Stanman
26-01-13, 21:33
So if I was leaning towards a TM-single, do you think it would be advisable to also go with the TM-Twin as my main box? As in stick with the same manufacturer so that I would be more familiar with the setup/firmware/plugins?

Cheers for the help, much appreciated.
Manufacturers got nothing to do with this as that is the image, vix is the same across all boxes hardware permitting.