PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] EPG Question?

bouncy
26-01-13, 11:11
Hi I'm having a problem with my EPG since updating to Build 574. It used to be when I pressed the EPG button it would display in the Category the channel I was watching last, when I pressed either the + or - Channel Button on my remote it would list the Categories, Sport, Music, Films etc but now when I press these buttons instead of this happening it keeps me still in the Category but moves me forward 24 hours. How do I either revert back to how it was before or how do I bring up the Categories now?

Clabs
26-01-13, 13:57
I am experiencing the same as bouncy with build 574 on Ultimo - when in EPG, channel +/- no longer brings up bouquet list.

scwheeler
26-01-13, 14:05
Same here - maybe foretelling an option to change the usage of these buttons :) :)

judge
26-01-13, 14:31
<> buttons now jump bouquets without the need for the bouquet list.
If you want to use the bouquet list, press menu when in ViXEPG & set show bouquet on launch to yes.

nexstar
26-01-13, 14:55
I'm having the same problem after upgrading to build 574. Initially, scrolling down the epg would cause a reboot. I then restored to a couple of previous versions but the problem was still there so I wondered if this was some corruption of the skin (I'm using ViX Night HD). The crashing on scrolling has now gone away but the keypress changes remain and I also noticed that the current program display in the epg has changed from green to a very slightly lighter shade of the standard background.

The thing is, I don't know how to install a fresh copy of the ViX Night HD skin to find out if that is the problem. Any guidance on that would be appreciated :) .

This is on a Ultimo device.

Graham

judge
26-01-13, 14:57
the latest version of the skin is always installed using the latest build.
If the box is crashing, it's also generating crash logs, please upload them here.

nexstar
26-01-13, 15:02
the latest version of the skin is always installed using the latest build.
If the box is crashing, it's also generating crash logs, please upload them here.

So, should going back to a backup have cured the problem or should I download an image and manually restore?

The crashing was only initially after upgrading, after a few restores and reboots that seems to have gone away.

Graham

judge
26-01-13, 15:06
I've no idea what's in your backup so can't answer that question...
I'd grab the latest build from http://openvix.co.uk & flash again.

Larry-G
26-01-13, 15:15
I'm having the same problem after upgrading to build 574. Initially, scrolling down the epg would cause a reboot. I then restored to a couple of previous versions but the problem was still there so I wondered if this was some corruption of the skin (I'm using ViX Night HD). The crashing on scrolling has now gone away but the keypress changes remain

As judge said the EPG has been updated recently and if you read his above reply he tells you haw to change back to the older key layout, although personally i prefer the newer layout.

I also noticed that the current program display in the epg has changed from green to a very slightly lighter shade of the standard background.

Graham

Thats exactly as we intended as thats the new default Graphical EPG layout, colour scheme. you can change this by pressing menu while in the Graphical EPG and toggling the Graphics mode option on or off.

Clabs
26-01-13, 15:28
<> buttons now jump bouquets without the need for the bouquet list.
If you want to use the bouquet list, press menu when in ViXEPG & set show bouquet on launch to yes.

Maybe I am being thick but for me the Direction <> buttons bring up the Infobar EPG and the <> buttons either side of the 0 button brings up the History Zap.

Is showing EPG on launch option the only way now to change bouquets?

nexstar
26-01-13, 15:31
Thanks to all for the info. Are the key changes listed somewhere? It was mainly being able to advance the epg by 24 hours that I was looking for but there may be other changes worth knowing about. Presumably there's no real point in going back to an earlier build as these changes will be in any future update.

Is there actually a difference in the background colour for the current program? I've convinced myself there is but it seems very slight.

Also, if I modified any of the png files for the skin, is there a location for these which doesn't get overwritten with an upgrade?

Thanks again :)

Graham

judge
26-01-13, 15:31
Maybe I am being thick but for me the Direction <> buttons bring up the Infobar EPG and the <> buttons either side of the 0 button brings up the History Zap.

Is showing EPG on launch option the only way now to change bouquets?

I was talking about using the <> buttons when in ViXEPG.

Clabs
26-01-13, 15:36
I was talking about using the <> buttons when in ViXEPG.

That'll be me being thick then!

I don't use original remotes so will need to find the best buttons to use on Harmony 650 remote.

Cheers for the reply.

Larry-G
26-01-13, 15:43
Thanks to all for the info. Are the key changes listed somewhere? It was mainly being able to advance the epg by 24 hours that I was looking for but there may be other changes worth knowing about. Presumably there's no real point in going back to an earlier build as these changes will be in any future update.

Is there actually a difference in the background colour for the current program? I've convinced myself there is but it seems very slight.

Also, if I modified any of the png files for the skin, is there a location for these which doesn't get overwritten with an upgrade?

Thanks again :)

Graham

While in the Graphical EPG using the channel + and - buttons skips forward or backward 24 hrs.

s31teg
26-01-13, 16:01
im having a similar issue, the epg is going really show and the +&- are not showing the list

strange, glad its not just me though

judge
26-01-13, 16:03
im having a similar issue, the epg is going really show and the +&- are not showing the list

strange, glad its not just me though
Have you all your channels in one bouquet?

scwheeler
26-01-13, 16:11
The new colour scheme is very nice :)

s31teg
26-01-13, 16:13
im using the build in bouquet maker, before the update working no problem, now its running so slow, vix logo appearing

also i cant access it externally for some reason... dont know if the issue is tied in

s31teg
26-01-13, 16:30
update i have turned on 'show bouquet on launch' and thats working as a temp fix but the +- channel does not work

update again,

if you have show bouquet on launch then the > button shows the list

but if you turn it off you cannot get the list up and then cant jump forwards 24hours

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 16:43
Works fine on my duo, channel +/- move 24hr.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Doreblade
26-01-13, 16:51
I've always loved this image, used it ever since I got a Duo and have been very impressed with the whole team and WoS. Sadly however, I can't say I'm pleased with the new reassigned buttons for the epg in the latest stable build.

Under the old build, having pressed the 'epg' button and brought up the epg for the current channel bouquet, by pressing the +/- buttons I could simply bring up my list of bouquets and quickly switch to another. This could be done repeatedly using the +/- buttons and the 'exit' button to quickly switch between several bouquets.

Now I have to cycle through each bouquet in order using the <> buttons to get to the one I want. As I have lots of bouquets this is time consuming and far from pleasing as I don't have a list anymore to quickly identify the one I want.

Even setting 'bouquet on launch' to 'yes' isn't ideal, as now, obviously, I don't get the current bouquet epg displaying straight away when pressing the 'epg' button, and I can't use the exit button to go back to the full bouquet list once I've selected one as it takes me back to my channel.

Could the Vix team put a fix to let the 'exit' button to go back to the bouquet list rather than back to the channel you're watching. Pressing 'exit' again would then take you back to your channel? I could live with it that way.

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 16:57
I 2nd that option of pressing exit, to take you back to bouquet list, if you have it enabled like myself. I find it slightly annoying going straight to channel if I want to search another bouquet epg.

Doreblade
26-01-13, 16:58
Having said that, it's still not ideal as I'd prefer to see the epg on launch

I'd prefer if Vix reverted to the previous set up - it made sense to me as was more user (and thumb) friendly

s31teg
26-01-13, 17:02
<> moves the bouquet
+- moves 24hours

how do you get the list up?

or can i just revert to the old setup?

guff daddy
26-01-13, 17:06
I preferred the previous setup as well. Why was the change necessary?

shizik
26-01-13, 17:40
guys just install multi quickbutton addon and remap your keys however you want . at least i did that and its back to normal

guff daddy
26-01-13, 17:58
guys just install multi quickbutton addon and remap your keys however you want . at least i did that and its back to normal

Does that remap the keys when in the Graphical EPG? It didn't used to...

andyblac
26-01-13, 19:53
i give up, guy's do not seem to read anything.

With 'Show bouquets on launch' = NO
the epg open on the current showing chanel

the chl -/+ button will jump -/+ 24 Hours
the < > (either side of 0) jump through your bouquets without showing the list.

With 'Show bouquets on launch' = YES
the epg open show your bouquet list, allow you to choose one

the chl -/+ button will jump -/+ 24 Hous
the < > (either side of 0) bring up the list your bouquets.

and the reason for the change to to make ALL epg screen act the same. in Single EPG CHL -/+ are sue to jump channels. this why ALL screen now use < > to jump through bouquets.

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 20:33
i give up, guy's do not seem to read anything.

With 'Show bouquets on launch' = NO
the epg open on the current showing chanel

the chl -/+ button will jump -/+ 24 Hours
the < > (either side of 0) jump through your bouquets without showing the list.

With 'Show bouquets on launch' = YES
the epg open show your bouquet list, allow you to choose one

the chl -/+ button will jump -/+ 24 Hous
the < > (either side of 0) bring up the list your bouquets.

and the reason for the change to to make ALL epg screen act the same. in Single EPG CHL -/+ are sue to jump channels. this why ALL screen now use < > to jump through bouquets.

I have no issue with you're button changes Andy, but as I've mentioned on another post when show bouquet on launch set to yes, when zap to you're program twice as normal. it goes back to bouquet launch screen and not TV screen to view program. You then have to press exit.

So that's adding a button press to return to viewing. Seems daft to me and an inconvenience.

guff daddy
26-01-13, 20:58
Andy, it's your image and you can do what you want with it :)

I just think that when making changes such as this it would be better to include a menu option to offer users a choice as to whether to use the new button mapping or retain the old one that they are used to. For myself I don't use the Single EPG at all so I don't have any problem with inconsistent button mappings between EPGs - however I use the Channel List a lot and am used to pressing the blue button to get the bouquet list in that - I would prefer to be able to map the coloured buttons/channel select buttons/ <> buttons to different functions in the Graphical EPG similar to the old Cool EPG which I used to use a lot but which became too unstable for use with VIX.

Anyway - not meaning to moan, just trying to suggest ways the image can be improved.

andyblac
26-01-13, 21:33
I have no issue with you're button changes Andy, but as I've mentioned on another post when show bouquet on launch set to yes, when zap to you're program twice as normal. it goes back to bouquet launch screen and not TV screen to view program. You then have to press exit.

So that's adding a button press to return to viewing. Seems daft to me and an inconvenience.

exit's here fine :confused:, please email me your channels setting i will test them.

andyblac
26-01-13, 21:36
Andy, it's your image and you can do what you want with it :)

I just think that when making changes such as this it would be better to include a menu option to offer users a choice as to whether to use the new button mapping or retain the old one that they are used to. For myself I don't use the Single EPG at all so I don't have any problem with inconsistent button mappings between EPGs - however I use the Channel List a lot and am used to pressing the blue button to get the bouquet list in that - I would prefer to be able to map the coloured buttons/channel select buttons/ <> buttons to different functions in the Graphical EPG similar to the old Cool EPG which I used to use a lot but which became too unstable for use with VIX.

Anyway - not meaning to moan, just trying to suggest ways the image can be improved.

sorry, but not going to bloat the epg, with all sorts of config's, imo there are far to many as is for me, but i leave them in as i know people use them. just think if you went back to a manufacture box (ie sky or virgin) you have nothing at all to customise.

Clabs
26-01-13, 22:39
Andy

I am sure you must realise that if you spring such a fundamental (and unnanouced) change on your users then you are inviting bug reports and queries - we CAN read but we aren't phycics OR stupid.

I am sure I speak for most on here that this image is really so very good but this really seems like a step back.

judge
26-01-13, 22:47
Andy

I am sure you must realise that if you spring such a fundamental (and unnanouced) change on your users then you are inviting bug reports and queries - we CAN read but we aren't phycics OR stupid.

I am sure I speak for most on here that this image is really so very good but this really seems like a step back.

It's far from a step back & lots more to come...
TBH, the beta testers have been using the new EPG for a while & no one brought up any of these issues, that's not to say they aren't any issues as we all miss something at times due to different configs and so on.
Also, once you get used to the new way of doing things, it gets pretty easy.
You can't please everyone either.
Saying that, we should probably have made an announcement about the new key changes & functionality but things are changing fast & as I said more is to come.
Maybe when EPG is finished, if ever, someone will write up a ViXEPG guide...

Clabs
26-01-13, 22:57
It's far from a step back & lots more to come...
TBH, the beta testers have been using the new EPG for a while & no one brought up any of these issues, that's not to say they aren't any issues as we all miss something at times due to different configs and so on.
Also, once you get used to the new way of doing things, it gets pretty easy.
You can't please everyone either.
Saying that, we should probably have made an announcement about the new key changes & functionality but things are changing fast & as I said more is to come.
Maybe when EPG is finished, if ever, someone will write up a ViXEPG guide...

I will print this out and leave in my children's rooms :)

Not a case of getting used to it - come round and reprogramme all my renote controls please.

I do understand that you cannot please everyone all the time but my view still stands - this seems a step back.

Stanman
26-01-13, 22:59

Not a case of getting used to it - come round and reprogramme all my renote controls please.

I do understand that you cannot please everyone all the time but my view still stands - this seems a step back.

Try flashing 4 boxes some times twice a day to make sure the image is suitable for release.

As for unannounced, end of the day this is a creation of Andy that he does off his own volutions with no reward and its hardly fair to complain at every change that you do not like when he has dedicated 1000's of hours to develop something as good as VIX and is offered free to everyone.

We have over 35,000 members and imo no change is going to be to everyone's liking and end of the day people have to live with it or learn to compile themselves.

Larry-G
26-01-13, 23:03
A lot of changes are being made to the EPG for the better if you ask me both behind the scenes and the GUI ( the part you guys see ), it's not always possible or necessary to update the user base on these changes,, nor is it a good idea to cram the image with options upon options for those users who dont like the new additions we place in the image.

personally and this is just me speaking here, not A ViX statement, we do our best to make this image appeal to as many people as possible and we wont always be able to please every one, its up to you if you want to accept the updates or not, if you hate the new additions you can always stay on a earlier build if thats what you want but there are times when we have so say enough, this is how its going to be and this is how its going to stay.

judge
26-01-13, 23:07
Please do, my kids learn key changes a lot faster than I do.

No thanks, would prefer you spend a few days using a new way of doing things, better for all around.

You're entitled to your opinion but I still don't see it in any way as a step back.
These changes enable new functionality & hopefully we will see this being utilised in the near future.
If you don't like new functionality, you can always use an old working image & not update, that's up to you.

s31teg
27-01-13, 00:16
now i no the changes, i dont really have a problem with it now i know!