PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Help!

ddEEEn
25-01-13, 03:13
Hi,

First post so please be gentle!

I have just purchased a VU+ Solo and I am attempting to flash the box with a VIX Image.

I have downloaded the boatload 2.0 for VU+ Solo, formatted a USB drive to FAT32 and copier the directory (and all files / folders within) vuplus to the root of the drive.

Unplugged the Solo, placed the USB Drive into the front USB port, powered the Solo back up.

Nothing out of the ordinary happens. The box boots up and goes to my last watched FTA channel like not USB drive is plugged in. The exact same happens when I have followed the same process with a VIX image. I have tried two, the latest and one fairly old image (Sorry, can't remember ver number).

I have tried multiple USB drives (3) and have confirmed the the drive's LED's blink for a brief second or so are gaining power and in System Details my Solo confirms that 1 HDD is plugged in. So it does not appear to be a hardware fault with the front USB port.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Dean.

mickyblueys
25-01-13, 04:14
Try the rear USB port.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 21:14
Tried that. The box still boots as normal like no USB drive is inserted.

Any further suggestions?

Maxwell
26-01-13, 21:24
try formatting the drive in the receiver

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 21:25
Have you read this thread

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?p=6229

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 22:28
Have you read this thread

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?p=6229

Yes, first thread I looked at.

I believe I am performing the correct procedure.

1) Format USB drive as FAT32
2) Extract bootloader.zip
3) Place files on USB drive so the directory is #root# vuplus\solo\cfe_cfe_auto.bin
4) Place USB drive in Solo (have now attempted using the rear and front ports)
5) Reset button / power cycle
6) ... nothing http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/icons/icon13.png

Maxwell, how do I go about formatting the drive on the Solo. Only been playing around with it for an hour or so in total. Still very unfamiliar with the menu's.

Thanks again, Dean.

judge
26-01-13, 22:32
That's exactly how it should be done although I do pull the plug before flashing my Solo rather than reset button, have you another USB stick you can try?
All formats & sticks I use work without issue every time but some users do report problems with some USB sticks.

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 22:34
That's exactly how it should be done although I do pull the plug before flashing my Solo rather than reset button, have you another USB stick you can try?
All formats & sticks I use work without issue every time but some users do report problems with some USB sticks.

I have been power cycling the box via the plug also. I'm just getting slightly fed up of climbing over the TV stand to the plugs now!

I've attempted to use 3 USB devices. 2 of which are pen drives, 1x2GB and 1x8GB and a bus powered external 2.5" drive.

Just to clarify. FAT32, not exFAT or FAT.

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 22:36
I have been power cycling the box via the plug also. I'm just getting slightly fed up of climbing over the TV stand to the plugs now!

I've attempted to use 3 USB devices. 2 of which are pen drives, 1x2GB and 1x8GB and a bus powered external 2.5" drive.

Just to clarify. FAT32, not exFAT or FAT.

Also to add, the power / status lights on the drives do light up and I can hear the HDD spin up on the 2.5". I can also browse the directories via the media player on the function and see the correct folder structure.

judge
26-01-13, 22:39
The light on the solo should flash while the unit is flashing.
Try the tool in this post (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool&p=78&viewfull=1#post78) to reformat your USB & report back.

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 22:40
ddEEEn if i've read you're last post correctly.......... you've tried bootloader.......doesn't say anything about trying to flash the latest image files???????

you get them from here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 23:06
The light on the solo should flash while the unit is flashing.
Try the tool in this post (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool&p=78&viewfull=1#post78) to reformat your USB & report back.

:mad: issue remains.

Attempted with 2 flash drives.

As far as the activity light goes the light flashes for a few seconds when the solo boots and then nothing (literally 2 flashes, appears to simply be the drive gaining power) and then if I browse the directories in media player.

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 23:07
ddEEEn if i've read you're last post correctly.......... you've tried bootloader.......doesn't say anything about trying to flash the latest image files???????

you get them from here

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/

I have been attempting the boot loader yes as I was under the impression it was a pre-requisite for the newer images. I have tried Vix 3.0 (50+ MB file I think?) but the same issue occurred. I'll try the smaller build you linked me to and report back in 5.

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 23:26
I have been attempting the boot loader yes as I was under the impression it was a pre-requisite for the newer images. I have tried Vix 3.0 (50+ MB file I think?) but the same issue occurred. I'll try the smaller build you linked me to and report back in 5.

3.0.574 - 2 flash drives - same issue.

judge
26-01-13, 23:28
3.0.574 - 2 flash drives - same issue.

What was the last working image & build number on your Solo?
"I have tried Vix 3.0" has nothing to do with the bootloader.

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 23:44
What was the last working image & build number on your Solo?
"I have tried Vix 3.0" has nothing to do with the bootloader.

There isn't one, it's a new box.

By my Vix 3.0 comment I meant I have been primarily trying the bootloader first however I have also attempted to try the 3.0 image on the Vix Images thread. And now the .574 nightly build.

mickyblueys
26-01-13, 23:49
What image is currently on the box, as you say in post 1 you've watched some channels

ddEEEn
26-01-13, 23:52
What image is currently on the box, as you say in post 1 you've watched some channels

It's the standard out of the factory VU+ image.

The channels that I've used are just FTA ones the box picked up on a scan during setup. ITV, E4 that sort of thing.

ddEEEn
27-01-13, 00:16
Found a battered old 128MB stick in my laptop bag.

Tried that, life is good. :)

Thank you very much for all of your help and advice!

judge
27-01-13, 00:22
Found a battered old 128MB stick in my laptop bag.

Tried that, life is good. :)

Thank you very much for all of your help and advice!

Glad you are sorted, keep that battered old 128MB stick handy & near your Solo...
No sticks have an issue on my solo though, what format is it?

mickyblueys
27-01-13, 00:33
Yes congrats, glad you're sorted. Again I've had no problems with my USB's, but I've read about plenty of people who have, I guess you're one of the unlucky ones.

ddEEEn
27-01-13, 00:33
Glad you are sorted, keep that battered old 128MB stick handy & near your Solo...
No sticks have an issue on my solo though, what format is it?

It also has a laser pen on the end. I 'borrowed it' from a WYSE consultant at work one day.

ddEEEn
27-01-13, 00:44
Yes congrats, glad you're sorted. Again I've had no problems with my USB's, but I've read about plenty of people who have, I guess you're one of the unlucky ones.

Exactly! I thought I was going mad trying 3 different USB drives but I guess sometimes it happens.

In other news, I notice on your sig you have your swap file in your main HDD and other features on another storage location.

Since I have the Solo I only have 1 rear USB port, which will be used for an external HDD and 1 front port. I don't really fancy having a USB drive sticking out of the front port. Would you advise configuring the swap file and point it to a directory on my external HDD, or since I only have the one storage device would you advise to leave it as default.

Thanks, Dean.

mickyblueys
27-01-13, 00:53
If you are going down the swap file avenue, putting it on your hdd, shouldn't be a problem same for epg. Might have to put Picons in flash though, not 100%. Also permanent timeshift may be a problem. You're hdd would be spinning all the time. You can use a USB hub from the rear port, but it has to be a powered one. Then you can connect a usb pen drive to the rear .I'm sure one of the mods will give you a much better idea than I can.

ddEEEn
27-01-13, 13:13
Makes sense Micky, I think I am going to go down the powered hub route!

Did you find that it made quite a performance difference?

mickyblueys
27-01-13, 14:00
I personally haven't used the hub as I have multiple USB Ports in back. But the swap file along with a plug in called "cache flush" has certainly helped my duo. Not sure if it's in feeds or not as I got it of this site somewhere.