PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] remote not very responsive.

warajoker
15-01-13, 22:34
just setup my new solo2 and fully updated it. and I find that my remote is not responding when it should. like I will press down and it wont shift down until after a few presses. when I press exit it doesent exit unless I press it a few times and so on.

judge
16-01-13, 00:37
What make & model of TV are you using?

warajoker
16-01-13, 00:45
What make & model of TV are you using?

its a Samsung ps43d450a2wxxu but im not using the remote to control the tv. only the solo2

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 05:43
Test by moving the box to an other location or shut down the TV. Some TV's are known to cause IR-interference.

Maxwell
16-01-13, 07:17
Some TV's are known to cause IR-interference.

And so do some types of energy saving bulb !
Have you tried new batteries ?
Have you removed the protective film from the front of the display ?

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:14
I don't think its the tv as I used to have a vu+uno and never had this problem.
Test by moving the box to an other location or shut down the TV. Some TV's are known to cause IR-interference.

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:14
And so do some types of energy saving bulb !
Have you tried new batteries ?
Have you removed the protective film from the front of the display ?

I have removed all the plastic filming but I will test it with new batteries

Sicilian
16-01-13, 09:22
Have you installed a HDD in the unit? Did you initialise it in the unit? do you have picons on the HDD?

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:34
yes I have installed a hardrive and I have installized it but yesterday when I setup timers to record something I got write error and no I have no picons. but I did have the plugin flash expander which I have now deleted

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:51
ive changed the remote control code to number 1 and it seems to working better

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 10:12
I don't think its the tv as I used to have a vu+uno and never had this problem.
But this is not about the UNO; this is about the Solo2 you're having a problem with.
And 'thinking' is of no use: 'knowing' is what you will do once you turned off the TV and any energy saving bulbs.
What's the point in asking advise and not following it :confused:

warajoker
16-01-13, 10:27
i switched the tv of and i have no enegery saving bulbs

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 10:43
i switched the tv of and i have no enegery saving bulbs
And the result is......?

warajoker
16-01-13, 13:45
And the result is......?

nothing changed mate. i found that switch the remote to mode 1 worked the best

alien2108
16-01-13, 15:37
It CAN happen, that IR receiver led in the Solo2 could not be aligned properly, so you can check that too. I already saw such problem in some other receivers (it can happen in production, slightly bend down for example). Same could apply to remote control LED. So check that too.

If you have Plasma TV that could be culprit, but you said you tested it with TV switched off (TOTALY OFF, not just standby!).

Sicilian
16-01-13, 15:42
It CAN happen, that IR receiver led in the Solo2 could not be aligned properly, so you can check that too. I already saw such problem in some other receivers (it can happen in production, slightly bend down for example). Same could apply to remote control LED. So check that too.

If you have Plasma TV that could be culprit, but you said you tested it with TV switched off (TOTALY OFF, not just standby!).

Becareful that tampering with hardware could invalidate your warranty.

warajoker
16-01-13, 16:00
im not going to touch it. but how would I know if its faulty?
Becareful that tampering with hardware could invalidate your warranty.

Sicilian
16-01-13, 17:34
im not going to touch it. but how would I know if its faulty?

Take the unit into another room, connect to another TV.

The issue could still be your HDD issue that you reported in another thread.

Naz
16-01-13, 22:06
I had the same problem and this worked for me on my tv remote I pressed the energy saving button and put it to maximum it makes ur tv dim and that's it my remote was responding fine

warajoker
16-01-13, 23:21
putting a fresh set of Duracell batteries in the remote instead of the shitty chineese ones that came with it and changing the remote code to 1 and doing the same on the receiver seemed to have fixed it.

warajoker
17-01-13, 23:04
you were right. when I put my tv into standby and use the lcd screen on the solo2 as a guide. its perfect. and I do have energy saving mode. but it is not enabled atm. any ideas how to fix as changing tvs is not an option

Hespy
17-01-13, 23:22
Cover the IR sensor on the box COMPLETELY with masking tape.( The Sensor is between the power button and the display. ) This will filter out plasma interference and only leave through valid signals. If it's still not working 100%, stick on another layer of tape. Get the black marker out, blend it in a bit!

warajoker
17-01-13, 23:58
lol I didn't spend over £300 on it to make it look ugly by sticking tape over it. if there isn't another way then I guess I will have to live with it.
Cover the IR sensor on the box COMPLETELY with masking tape.( The Sensor is between the power button and the display. ) This will filter out plasma interference and only leave through valid signals. If it's still not working 100%, stick on another layer of tape. Get the black marker out, blend it in a bit!

Hespy
18-01-13, 01:40
In fairness, if u paint it black and cut it to the right size, it's barely noticeable. Infinitely better than button bashing the remote. 300 quid pays for a powerful twin tuner satellite box, if you want good looks, stick on a Mila Kunis film!

Tkr001
18-01-13, 08:33
I setup my new solo2 today and lo and behold had the unresponsive remote problem. I had already enabled power save mode on my plasma in anticipation. Moved the solo2 to the bedroom with a led TV and the problem vanished. Reinstalled the faithful duo in the lounge.

What gets me is the remotes for my Duo and Solos are fine, just the solo2 that plays up.....

Sicilian
18-01-13, 08:43
No issues here with my Panny Plasma.

Rob van der Does
18-01-13, 09:05
I setup my new solo2 today and lo and behold had the unresponsive remote problem. I had already enabled power save mode on my plasma in anticipation. Moved the solo2 to the bedroom with a led TV and the problem vanished. Reinstalled the faithful duo in the lounge.

What gets me is the remotes for my Duo and Solos are fine, just the solo2 that plays up.....
We see more and more reports like this on several forums.
You could try changing the R/C code from the default '2' to an other value (1, 3 or 4) and see if that makes any difference.

warajoker
18-01-13, 11:48
ive tried that mate and thought it was fixed but it wasn't. im going to activate engery saver on my tv and test it out all day to see if its the same.
You could try changing the R/C code from the default '2' to an other value (1, 3 or 4) and see if that makes any difference.

alien2108
18-01-13, 13:03
This is a known problem with plasmas and applies to Dreamboxes and many other STB-s! What you can do is put masking tape on the INSIDE of the Solo2 before IR sensor. Take the front of, put masking tape....Void warranty if you break something of course...

Google: "IR PLASMA INTERFERENCE" and you will find TONS of info on that topic. This is in no way Solo2 problem it a general problem with plasmas and IR receivers....

warajoker
18-01-13, 15:15
This is a known problem with plasmas and applies to Dreamboxes and many other STB-s! What you can do is put masking tape on the INSIDE of the Solo2 before IR sensor. Take the front of, put masking tape....Void warranty if you break something of course...

Google: "IR PLASMA INTERFERENCE" and you will find TONS of info on that topic. This is in no way Solo2 problem it a general problem with plasmas and IR receivers....

I guess it time for a new TV anyway

Rob van der Does
18-01-13, 15:21
I guess it time for a new TV anyway
A new plasma I presume :cool:

warajoker
18-01-13, 15:56
Probably a 3d led

Hespy
18-01-13, 19:06
Couldn't agree more. Fault is with the plasma, not the STB. The plasma is kicking out random waste interference which is messing with the valid signal from the remote. If you had your STB in a cabinet, and the wood was blocking the IR signal, would you blame the STB or the cabinet, or would you just implement a solution?
LCDs sometimes interfere when the picture is very dark on the screen, even fluorescent light bulbs can cause similar problems. Try tape on the outside first, this should work. If it doesn't, then alien2108's solution prob will work if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Rob van der Does
18-01-13, 19:08
.....LCDs sometimes interfere when the picture is very dark on the screen,....
That will be tube-backlit LCD then, not LED-backlit LCD I suppose?

Tkr001
19-01-13, 03:41

How do you change the R/C code?

Ignore that, found it.

Tkr001
19-01-13, 04:28
Changing the remote code did nothing so I opened it op and put a couple of strips of insulation tape in front of the remote sensor. Only had yellow tape but seeing as its inside you really don't notice it. Seems to have done the trick.

Anybody contemplating doing it, don't be afraid. It really is a piece of cake.

warajoker
19-01-13, 08:29
The higher I put engery saver on the better it works. I've put it on medium and Its better now