PDA

View Full Version : How to set up transcoding

warajoker
15-01-13, 22:21
basically my question is how to I setup transcoding so I can view outside of my network?

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 06:50
Just enable transcoding in the transcoding plugin.

Of course your lan-setup must allow external streaming and your external device will have to be capable to play the stream.m3u

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:16
I don't have a clue how to set that up lol. I know how to view in my house on my phone,laptop,pc etc but I don't know how to set it up so I can view outside of my network
Just enable transcoding in the transcoding plugin.

Of course your lan-setup must allow external streaming and your external device will have to be capable to play the stream.m3u

bokkie
16-01-13, 09:34
I was having trouble as well, couldn't stream from openwebif as for some reason I'd be redirected to the mobile version which doesn't have the little telly you click to stream. Instead, when I chose channel it would just bring up epg and program Info.
To get it working I changed transcoding port in the plugin to 8001 by pressing right arrow and activated it.
Setup openwebif and forwarded ports 8001 and openwebif port In router.
Downloaded dreamdroid and daroon player to my mobile and set it all up and it works now.
It buffers every now and then but I guess that might be because I only have 2 mb upload speed.

warajoker
16-01-13, 09:35
so once I have forwared those ports do I just type in the ip of my solo2 and I can view anywhere I want or do I have to setup a no-1p account or dyns account?
I was having trouble as well, couldn't stream from openwebif as for some reason I'd be redirected to the mobile version which doesn't have the little telly you click to stream. Instead, when I chose channel it would just bring up epg and program Info.
To get it working I changed transcoding port in the plugin to 8001 by pressing right arrow and activated it.
Setup openwebif and forwarded ports 8001 and openwebif port In router.
Downloaded dreamdroid and daroon player to my mobile and set it all up and it works now.
It buffers every now and then but I guess that might be because I only have 2 mb upload speed.

bokkie
16-01-13, 09:50
Depends if you have static ip or not. I just open dream droid which has my ip in setting as my ip is static. Otherwise yes dyndns is a good idea.

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 10:05
Make sure to use the correct port (as set in the transcoding plugin).

warajoker
16-01-13, 10:07
so I should change the transcoding plugin to the same port as the openwebif and streaming port. so change them all to 8001
Make sure to use the correct port (as set in the transcoding plugin).

bokkie
16-01-13, 10:22
I didn't but I did forward both ports in router.

Rob van der Does
16-01-13, 11:04
so I should change the transcoding plugin to the same port as the openwebif and streaming port. so change them all to 8001
Naah, you can't have two streams using the same port.
Just use the default (8002 I think that is) and make sure your device points to that port.

bokkie
16-01-13, 12:02
I couldn't get it to work on port 8002, it says that is pc streaming port. When I changed to 8001 it said mobile streaming port, and all started working.

gab2001uk
17-01-13, 22:02
Most apps on mobile devices are set to use port 8001 for streaming, and do not seem to have an obvious way of changing the port used. I expect changing the transcoder port to 8001 may cause problems elsewhere, but if it works...
To avoid the mobile version of the WebIF showing on your Android device use the settings to change this behaviour. You can then see the two little TV icons, the first for streaming on Port 8001, the second for transcoding on port 8002. The only problem seems the device wants to save the .m3u file, rather than open it.
Example of settings change on rooted Kindle Fire HD:
1) Open the Silk Browser
2) Menu>-Settings>-Default Browser View
3) Select Desktop, (not Automatic or Mobile)

I have a dyndns account and forwarded ports 8001,8002 and 8888 (which I set as the Solo2 WebIF port instead of 80) to my solo which is on a fixed internal IP

I have watched HD channels on my laptop at work via transcoding and the picture is very watchable. Hopefully as the drivers/software improves a range of transcoding options will become available as to frame rate, size and quality
Current settings are:
AVC (H.264) 416x224 30fps 380Kb/s
AAC 48kHz 130.5 kb/s

warajoker
21-01-13, 18:12
do I have to leave my pc on to make it work

bokkie
21-01-13, 18:40
I'm confused.
I had transcoding working using port 8001 and has been working fine for a week or so.
I just updated to the latest build of vix and now the 8001 option no longer seems to be available.
When i press the arrow to change it, as i did before nothing happens. I even installed be backup of the previous build and I still couldn't change to port 8001.
I've forwarded ports 80, 8001 and 8002 but no joy.
i've tried getting it to work on 8002 but it just won't work
I never manged to stream with openwebif, always said can't play this video. Only dreamdroid seemed to work.
But now nothing!
Help please.

warajoker
21-01-13, 18:42
I cant change the transcoding port either

bokkie
21-01-13, 18:50
I could before but now it won't let me. Can't get it to work on 8002 at all.

warajoker
21-01-13, 18:53
follow that turuial in my above post that worked for me.
I could before but now it won't let me. Can't get it to work on 8002 at all.

warajoker
21-01-13, 19:04
do i have to leave my pc on for this to work

EDIT no i dont have to leave it on

bokkie
21-01-13, 20:47
What are you streaming to warajoker and what player are you using to stream?
I still can't get it to play the stream, even after following the tutorial to the letter.

warajoker
21-01-13, 22:00
Pc at work. I cant get it to work on my phone becuase it downloads the link instead of opening it.
what are you streaming to warajoker and what player are you using to stream?
I still can't get it to play the stream, even after following the tutorial to the letter.

bokkie
21-01-13, 22:28
Ok, got it working now.
In openwebif plugin http port 8099. and streaming port 8001.
Enable transcoding and use port 8002.
Download dreamdroid from google play
Settings in dreamdroid are:
Enter ip address in hostname/ip. Not network ip, your actual ip.
Port 8099.
Port(live) 8001
Dowload vlc for android from google play.
There it is. Transcoding working a treat

warajoker
22-01-13, 08:38
the ip adress of the solo2?
Ok, got it working now.
Port 8099.
Port(live) 8001

bokkie
22-01-13, 09:03
The physical ip address, or I guess your dyndns address might also wok.
Not sure as I have a static ip.

75mak
22-01-13, 16:44
Ok, got it working now.
Port 8099.
Port(live) 8001

Don't you have to forward those ports on your router too, for it to work outside the home network - as that where transcoding will provide it's most benefit

bokkie
22-01-13, 16:48
Yes. This is done according to an online guide warajoker posted, but seems to have been edited out of his post.
The port forwarding was covered in the guide.

warajoker
22-01-13, 21:28
Yes. This is done according to an online guide warajoker posted, but seems to have been edited out of his post.
The port forwarding was covered in the guide.

one of the mods must of deleted the link. but im not sure why because i wasnt breaking any rules as it wasnt a live link as i coded it

tomthebomb1968
23-01-13, 01:58
Hi fellas, thanx for the thread. Got my SOLO 2 streaming to my galaxy s3 mini over 3g after following instructions in post 4 from bokkie. Used port 8082 though. Streamed the Footy in HD to the phone. Pic quality was perfectly watchable. No audio at first but changed the decoding on daroon player from software to hardware and that sorted it. Having 80/40 Meg helps I'm sure. Using Cat 6 cable from router to Solo2 also.

While live streaming is fine, recorded programs will not play smoothly. Constant buffering. But hey it's early days and I'm happy for now.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

gab2001uk
26-01-13, 00:24
While live streaming is fine, recorded programs will not play smoothly.

Playback of recordings does not use the transcoder (as yet). Hopefully VU will allow this with driver updates in future.

warajoker
26-01-13, 09:13
when I login to openwebif I cant get the transcoding to play on my pc at work. I have to use the little tv icon next to it that you would use to view inside of your network and that's all laggy. I think it may be my works internet speed as I have the 120mb virgin media package so I don't understand. but I cant get the transcoding one to open. but ive got it working on my phone

Playback of recordings does not use the transcoder (as yet). Hopefully VU will allow this with driver updates in future.

gab2001uk
26-01-13, 11:35
when I login to openwebif I cant get the transcoding to play on my pc at work. I have to use the little tv icon next to it that you would use to view inside of your network and that's all laggy. I think it may be my works internet speed as I have the 120mb virgin media package so I don't understand. but I cant get the transcoding one to open. but ive got it working on my phone

If you have got it working on your phone, I guess you changed the transcoding port to 8001.
When you use OpenWebIF on your work PC the WebIF on your receiver thinks that the standard streaming port 8001 is in use, and the fact you changed the tranacoding port to 8001 as well is causing the problem.
Until one of the android developers allows you to use their apps with a different port than the standard 8001, you have a choice:

1) Watch a transcoded stream on your Android by setting transcoding port to 8001
2) Watch a transcoded stream on a PC by setting transcoding port back to 8002 (or any other port EXCEPT 8001). The the two little TV icons will represent both normal (8001) and transcoded (8002) streams

A third possibility is to find a way to allow your android to react in the same way as your PC and play a stream on 8002 (instead of trying to download it) when you open your Android browser of choice in desktop mode. I have not yet found out how to do this, but will continue to search.

warajoker
26-01-13, 12:03
my openwebif streaming port is 8001my transcoding port is 8002. i cant stream through port 8002 as it wont open on another pc outside of my network. but i can watch it on 3g on my phone.
If you have got it working on your phone, I guess you changed the transcoding port to 8001.
When you use OpenWebIF on your work PC the WebIF on your receiver thinks that the standard streaming port 8001 is in use, and the fact you changed the tranacoding port to 8001 as well is causing the problem.
Until one of the android developers allows you to use their apps with a different port than the standard 8001, you have a choice:

1) Watch a transcoded stream on your Android by setting transcoding port to 8001
2) Watch a transcoded stream on a PC by setting transcoding port back to 8002 (or any other port EXCEPT 8001). The the two little TV icons will represent both normal (8001) and transcoded (8002) streams

A third possibility is to find a way to allow your android to react in the same way as your PC and play a stream on 8002 (instead of trying to download it) when you open your Android browser of choice in desktop mode. I have not yet found out how to do this, but will continue to search.

warajoker
26-01-13, 12:04
my openwebif streaming port is 8001my transcoding port is 8002. i cant stream through port 8002 as it wont open on another pc outside of my network. but i can watch it on 3g on my phone.

gab2001uk
26-01-13, 14:40
What are you using on your phone that allows you to watch on port 8002? If it is DreamDroid or similar, is there a way to make it use port 8002?

tomthebomb1968
26-01-13, 18:04
here are my settings using dreamdroid. I changed port 80 to 180 as my ultimo is using 80.

Just port forwarded 8002 and 180 assigned these to the internal ip of the solo2 and that was it.

That is not my dyndns of course, just example.

gab2001uk
26-01-13, 20:36
Thanks for that. I am sure the last time I tried DreamDroid the option of changing the port was not there. Anyway I re-installed it and it worked perfectly on port 8002.
So now we know it is possible to use both Android and PC to stream a transcoded channel.
So all we need to do now is help warajoker with his problem in post 31

warajoker
26-01-13, 21:08
same as mine
here are my settings using dreamdroid. I changed port 80 to 180 as my ultimo is using 80.

Just port forwarded 8002 and 180 assigned these to the internal ip of the solo2 and that was it.

That is not my dyndns of course, just example.

gab2001uk
27-01-13, 00:40

When you say it won't open, what happens when you click on the port 8002 icon? I had to use MPC (Media Player Classic) to open my streamed channel, as VLC just sat there doing nothing...

warajoker
27-01-13, 09:03
yh the same mate. when I click the 8002 icon vlc just sits there and does nothing. but when I click the 8001 icon next to it. it plays.but if I click the 8002 icon inside my network then it will play
When you say it won't open, what happens when you click on the port 8002 icon? I had to use MPC (Media Player Classic) to open my streamed channel, as VLC just sat there doing nothing...

gab2001uk
27-01-13, 10:20
On my LAN:
port 8001 opens with VLC NOT with MPC
port 8002 opens with MPC NOT VLC

From a remote location using DynDNS:
port 8001 opens with BOTH VLC and MPC

Can't explain that!

MPC comes in 32 and 64 bit versions:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downloads/

warajoker
27-01-13, 10:40
the way you explained is the exact same for me. I will download mpc today and test. thank you
On my LAN:
port 8001 opens with VLC NOT with MPC

From a remote location using DynDNS:
port 8001 opens with BOTH VLC and MPC

Can't explain that!

MPC comes in 32 and 64 bit versions:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downloads/

warajoker
27-01-13, 11:53

working perfect now. thanks

Richy-G
15-10-13, 15:31
I have been trying to set this up to connect outside my home network on another pc, all works fine using the internal ip (myboxip:1234) this connects to open webif.

if I try using wanip:1234 It doesn't reach open webif . I have forwarded all the correct ports what could I be missing?

Burnham
16-10-13, 15:20
To double check - have you set up the OpenWebif screen - Enabled to yes and Http port to 1234. If enabled authentication is set to yes you also need your box password.

When entering wanip:1234 you need the full address eg http://wanip:1234

Richy-G
21-10-13, 08:32
To double check - have you set up the OpenWebif screen - Enabled to yes and Http port to 1234. If enabled authentication is set to yes you also need your box password.

When entering wanip:1234 you need the full address eg http://wanip:1234

Yes everything is setup correctly in open webif http port is set to 1234 as that is the port I can access via local ip.

Have entered the full address also. Could my router be blocking the outside connection for some reason

Burnham
21-10-13, 20:50
All I can suggest is that you try a completely different five digit port number. Make sure you can see it internally to your own network, then try connecting from an external IP.

You need to open the new port in your router settings. Just one thing, do you know if your router port forwarding is working correctly - is there another port you can check.

gobb
19-08-14, 17:22
I have a question regarding streaming & transcoding setup for both my Solo2 and SoloSE.
I would like to use both for streaming and transcoding through mobile, Openwebif, but cannot manage to correctly setup ports. Now, my forwarding setup on the router is as follows:

For Solo2, I have forwarded ports 8001 and 8002 to internal ones and IP of the box, lets say XXX.XXX.XXX.1
For SoloSE, I have forwared ports 8001 and 8002 to internal ones and IP of the box, lets say XXX.XXX.XXX.2
Both boxes use different port for Openwebif (this works and port forwarding is OK).

When I choose to stream or transcode from SoloSE through Openwebif (or mobile), the stream starts from Solo2.. :-( I havent found the way to change streaming ports either to 9001 and 9002 on one of the boxes (as its only possible to use the defaults ones and so does Openwebif..

Any suggestions please?

Trial
19-08-14, 17:33
Hi,
you must change the ports in your router for example like this:

Box 1 external port 18001, 18002 to Box 1 internal 8001, 8002
Box 2 external port 28001, 28002 to Box 2 internal 8001, 8002

you cannot set two internal ports to one external port.

ciao

gobb
19-08-14, 17:54
Now it makes sense and I can set the new external ports in e2remote settings.. But Openwebif uses defaults 8001 and 8002 and those cant be changed.. Or am I wrong?
UPDATE: streaming through mobile where i can change external ports works ok for both streaming&transcoding on both devices. Cant test thou through openwebif now, but AFAIK, the ports cant be changed there.. Or is there any relation to the particular openwebif port when streaming through web?

gobb
20-08-14, 08:16
So the only solution for Openwebif interface seems to be a manual change of the streaming port in the generated stream.m3u file through notepad. Generally, the port in the file is by default set to 8001. If I change it to 18001 or 18002, then open the .m3u through VLC, both streams work like charm. Trial thanks for help.

gobb
20-08-14, 09:21
So finally I found it :)
To change openwebif streaming port generated in stream.m3u for basic stream (8001), edit: plugin.py file located in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif
To change openwebif streaming port generated in stream.m3u for transcoding stream (8002), edit: stream.py file located in /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/OpenWebif/controllers/models/
Reboot. Then it works.

20-08-14, 12:20
Good find.
It is probably worth mentioning that the associated plugin.pyo and stream.pyo should be deleted (or at least renamed) before rebooting or they will not be newly created with the edits.