PDA

View Full Version : What Lappy to Buy!!

mcquaim
13-01-13, 17:44
I have been thinking for a while on buying a new lappy but not sure on what to buy!

I am curious on Apple as I've never owned any but not sure if they worth the extra cash. Close to buying this but not sure:

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro
(Intel Quad Core i7 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD,
HD Graphics 4000, 1GB GeForce GT 650M, OS X Lion)
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BEYNBO

I wasn't gone on the retina version as it has no inbuilt DVD drive..

What you guys recommend?

Go the apple route or pick up a top spec windows machine?

Stanman
13-01-13, 17:48
For the same price you will get a better windoze machine that would be my suggestion.

mcquaim
13-01-13, 17:54
That was my fear but anyone who owns an apple rant how good they are.. Issue now is win8 will prob be what comes pre installed and IMO it is for tablets and not great on everyday lappy!

Stanman
13-01-13, 17:57
I would personaly avoid windows 8 bloody shite os, think you might be able to get win7.

Ps thread is closed?:confused:

mcquaim
13-01-13, 18:16
No idea why it was closed, don't think it was me :confused:

snookera
13-01-13, 20:26
Apple stuff are the best that's why the price is high there 1000 times better then other laptop ie hp dell Sony I had them all I would never buy anything else then apple that my view anyway but each to there own but you will be very happy if you buy a MacBook I own MacBook Air MacBook Pro iMac also mini iPad also the phone all items am very happy with

mickyblueys
13-01-13, 20:34
Apple stuff are the best that's why the price is high there 1000 times better then other laptop ie hp dell Sony I had them all I would never buy anything else then apple that my view anyway but each to there own but you will be very happy if you buy a MacBook I own MacBook Air MacBook Pro iMac also mini iPad also the phone all items am very happy with

That is utter garbage. it all depends on the spec of the system. Half the time you're paying alot extra money for the name alone. Now I'm not saying apple aren't good. But you can buy a windows based laptop with the same spec or better for less money. As long as you buy a reputable brand of laptop from a reputable shop. Windows based is as good.
"1000 times my arse"

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

snookera
14-01-13, 00:38
That's coz you no nothing about computers mate apple blow the rest out of the water and you sound like you carnt afford apple stuff so stick to your 299 laptops mate

mcquaim
14-01-13, 00:44
Now now, keep it clean folks! Just a friendly thread where I'm lookin a bit of info :rolleyes:

drx360
14-01-13, 00:52
depends what you intend to use it for, and i wouldn't say apple blow windows os laptops "out the water".

mcquaim
14-01-13, 01:00
Gonna be my new all rounder, old windows lappy 4-5 years old and getting dated.. I have a beast of a PC for all my labour intensive stuff (video editing etc.) so lappy will be odds and ends of everything else!!

I am thinking of apple too as I just got a new Nikon DSLR and apparently apple are tops for photo editing and touch ups.. Maybe also a preference thing though!

drx360
14-01-13, 01:02
Gonna be my new all rounder, old windows lappy 4-5 years old and getting dated.. I have a beast of a PC for all my labour intensive stuff (video editing etc.) so lappy will be odds and ends of everything else!!

I am thinking of apple too as I just got a new Nikon DSLR and apparently apple are tops for photo editing and touch ups.. Maybe also a preference thing though!

if it were me id stick with a high spec windows lappie as said by someone else and i have to agree you get far more bang for your buck :)

snookera
14-01-13, 01:22
Ask any one who had windows laptop and then tried or had apple MacBook and they will tell you them self built quality everything about apple is better that's why there not 299 you ever heard the old saying you pay for what you get even MacBooks 2010 models sell for 500 on eBay and there coming up to 3 years old which 3 year old window laptop can you sell for 500 you carnt

drx360
14-01-13, 01:29
Ask any one who had windows laptop and then tried or had apple MacBook and they will tell you them self built quality everything about apple is better that's why there not 299 you ever heard the old saying you pay for what you get even MacBooks 2010 models sell for 500 on eBay and there coming up to 3 years old which 3 year old window laptop can you sell for 500 you carnt

i said high spec ,a £299 as you call it is NOT going to be a high spec machine, its a low end entry laptop, iam not saying apple are rubbish i am just saying in my opinion they are over rated and completely over priced, just because apple choose to inflate there prices does not make them better

mickyblueys
14-01-13, 08:36
Agree. I think snookera must have shares in apple!

Trial
14-01-13, 09:15
Hi,
I wouldn“t ask what I should buy Apple or Windows. I would ask what will I do with this hardware? What Software do I need? What software do I already have? Is there open source I can use?

I write programs for windows and I would be an idiot if I buy an apple.

btw. I do not like a closed system like Apple.

ciao

warajoker
14-01-13, 09:53
If i was you mate I wouldn't bother with a laptop. just get a pc. I got one with 8gb ram, a 3.0 ghz i5 processor and 2tb hardrive for only £499. but it does come preinstalled with windows 8 which is terrible but I knew this when I upgraded to it on my laptop before I sold it.

mcquaim
14-01-13, 10:01
Cheers lads!

I already have a good old beast of a PC I bought last year but I want something mobile to replace the current dated lappy.

Good point made by Trial, all my current software is windows based so that could be a pain getting replacements if I went the apple route..

Trial
14-01-13, 11:14
Hi,
and I think your desktop is also windows based so you have to deal with two different operating systems. Apple is not bad but you should use only apple products to make the best of it.

ciao

Larry-G
14-01-13, 11:24
btw. I do not like a closed system like Apple.

ciao

now thats it rite there for me.
regardless of the whole apple is better than every thing else fanboy talk going on here, why would you ever want a closed system ??. i dont care if the GUI is user friendly or just works as some like to say, the fact that apple are essentially telling you what you must use their products for puts me rite off.

personally i'd buy a superior windows system and dual boot it with windows and linux.

pooface
14-01-13, 11:30
To add another view to this...

I own both Apple Macbook Pro, and Windows laptop (work). Personally, I like both for different reasons. The Macbook Pro was a present, and I personally would have begrudged paying the full amount for it, knowing that the spec of the machine in a windows version would have been almost half the price!

However, the little touches of the hardware are much nicer than most Windows laptops. For example, the keys are backlit. Makes working in darker environments much nicer. The trackpad and gestures are much better than any windows counterpart I tried... The only good thing about windows laptops is the price, and the fact there is more software usually available... If macbook pro's were slightly cheaper (well, about £400 cheaper!), I would definitely say go for a MBP...

mickyblueys
14-01-13, 11:40
To add another view to this...

I own both Apple Macbook Pro, and Windows laptop (work). Personally, I like both for different reasons. The Macbook Pro was a present, and I personally would have begrudged paying the full amount for it, knowing that the spec of the machine in a windows version would have been almost half the price!

However, the little touches of the hardware are much nicer than most Windows laptops. For example, the keys are backlit. Makes working in darker environments much nicer. The trackpad and gestures are much better than any windows counterpart I tried... The only good thing about windows laptops is the price, and the fact there is more software usually available... If macbook pro's were slightly cheaper (well, about £400 cheaper!), I would definitely say go for a MBP...

Exactly so you're paying, not you personally, an extortionate amount of money for back lights and other gimmicks. For a system that tells what you can and can't use.

I think I'll go out buy one today.....sarcastically not. They are just not worth the money. Half the price and I'll give them a try.

Alec
14-01-13, 20:55
I have been thinking for a while on buying a new lappy but not sure on what to buy!

I am curious on Apple as I've never owned any but not sure if they worth the extra cash. Close to buying this but not sure:

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro
(Intel Quad Core i7 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD,
HD Graphics 4000, 1GB GeForce GT 650M, OS X Lion)
http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BEYNBO

I wasn't gone on the retina version as it has no inbuilt DVD drive..

What you guys recommend?

Go the apple route or pick up a top spec windows machine?

I think apple are over price. I have a Laptop with duo boot XP and WIN7 , and can network to 2 other disk tops. One with XP, W7 and W8.
The other with XP and W7. The arrangement is idea for video editing, and I still like XP. Win7 is a little bloated, but idea for video editing, and I hate the Admin keep asking if I want to do an operation. I am starting to like Win 8, it is slightly faster than W7, when it is more established I will ditch W7. Amazon are doing a deal on a upgrade to win8, £43,19 for 2 disks 64bit and 32 with free delivery. All you need is a operating system xp or W7. If you download from Microsoft they want all your details. There are some good offers on laptops, if look around the net.

constant
18-01-13, 05:59
Alienware Laptop. The end. ;)