PDA

View Full Version : Which anti-virus do you recommend?

Sicilian
11-01-13, 07:11
As the title, which Anti-virus software do you recommend?

I've been using Microsoft security essentials, but seems flaky at times, picked a trojan yesterday which was a mission to get rid of, but did in the end.

What do you use, recommend and why?

pooface
11-01-13, 07:28
Eset. Its light on system resources, and a good all round av...

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
11-01-13, 07:38
Eset. Its light on system resources, and a good all round av...

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Seen any discount codes for it anywhere?

Rob van der Does
11-01-13, 09:07
AVG: free, good and fast.

manicscrewdriver
11-01-13, 09:11
I use Kasperskiy AV. It doesn't slow my PC down at all and has stopped quite a few nasty viruses in the past six months.

Coupon codes for it are here

_h**p://couponcode.com/Kaspersky_UK/?gclid=CMHm8sjt37QCFbMbtAodP3UANg

Nano

Donnie
11-01-13, 09:18
Use Kaspersky for years, cheapest place is always Amazon

judge
11-01-13, 09:38
avast has never failed me.

twol
11-01-13, 10:09
I use Kasperskiy AV. It doesn't slow my PC down at all and has stopped quite a few nasty viruses in the past six months.

Coupon codes for it are here

_h**p://couponcode.com/Kaspersky_UK/?gclid=CMHm8sjt37QCFbMbtAodP3UANg

Nano
....but try and remove it:) it hooks deep into the system, so wouldn,t trust them as far as I could throw them

Used avg for years successfully and the remove exec cleans out in 1go

dlmlus
11-01-13, 11:25
Hi
I,m using Windows Essentials at the moment and seems good for what i need.
I used to use AVGfree and that seemed to do the job.

dlmlus

Rob van der Does
11-01-13, 11:46
I,m using Windows Essentials at the moment and seems good for what i need.
I did use that for quite some time but lately it has an extreme high CPU-usage for a prolonged time. So after reading several tests I decided to use the free version of AVG, as it seems to be reliable, the fastest and least resources using AV-tool (and free to use).

manicscrewdriver
11-01-13, 12:17
....but try and remove it it hooks deep into the system, so wouldn,t trust them as far as I could throw them

Why would i want to remove it?

I've used AVG Free in the past and ended up getting a nasty virus which took me days to get rid of, and it blocked me from using my PC. After doing research on the wife's PC i found Kaspersky could deal with this virus, which it did. I have had no other issues since i installed it, my PC has been virus free ever since.

To be honest i reinstall my PC every six month or so anyway so removing it wouldn't be an issue.

Nano

copex
11-01-13, 20:50
+1 for Avast, its scan at boot it a useful feature when trying to disinfect a PC.

s1m0nw
12-01-13, 09:23
Emsisoft anti virus is apparently the BEST one out there this is what i use and its been good coupled up with online armour firewall

marty
12-01-13, 09:26
I've used Avast for years with no problems :) AVG is OK too but IMHO Avast has the edge. (both free versions)

Rob van der Does
12-01-13, 09:39
Emsisoft anti virus is apparently the BEST one out there this is what i use and its been good coupled up with online armour firewall
If you go through the available tests over the last years you'll see that there's no such thing as 'the best'.

punisher
12-01-13, 14:06
Been using Bitdefender for yearssssss. Although a bit expensive I've never had any issues

Larry-G
12-01-13, 17:40
I have pretty much used them all over the year's. Rite now im using MSE and its been great for well over a year. I was thinking about putting kaspersky back on though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

paul362
12-01-13, 18:55
I have pretty much used them all over the year's. Rite now im using MSE and its been great for well over a year. I was thinking about putting kaspersky back on though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Me too im on micros**t security essentials and it been better than AVG in my opinion and has caught everything thats been thrown @it so far on my win7 pc!

mickyblueys
12-01-13, 19:42
I've been reading this thread with interest...and its amazing how the "mine's bigger than yours" comes bubbling out. Lol.

So here's mine. I've used most over the years
Norton decent, did slow pc a bit though but a bugger to uninstall all features really gets in deep.
Kaspersky personally didn't rate it. Couldn't get away with the software layout and functionality.
Mcaffee again didn't really rate.
Avg free found it easy to navigate and didn't have any problems.
Microsoft security essentials that's what I'm using now and touch wood haven't had any problems.

....but my favourite and what I rate as the best is trend micro. I thought that was spot on. Easy to navigate and found every little beasty, that had found its way on to my PC. Also didn't slow system down at all. Would still use it but I'm tight and don't want to pay for security no more. But also once every do often I run their online free "house call" scan just for peace of mind. Google it.

One last thing I will add though is even the most basic anti virus software should be adequate for any PC............ As long as you don't visit any naughty sites;) or download any dodgy files e.g. torrents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

s1m0nw
12-01-13, 20:57
If you go through the available tests over the last years you'll see that there's no such thing as 'the best'.

Hence why I said apparently lol

Sicilian
13-01-13, 19:41
Thanks for all the advice guys, ended up sticking with Microsoft security essentials and purchased Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. Picked up a few bitch virus's but finally cleaned everything up with the help of MrCharlie over on Malwarebytes forum. Normally I'd give in and just re-format, but the guys over on Malwarebytes forum are very knowledgeable and very helpful. So a big thanks to MrCharlie from Malwarebytes Forum :) Was amazed at the adivice and the amount of free tools out there to get rid of malware.

jcm193
13-01-13, 19:55
Just for added piece of mind i would recommend emsisoft antimalware free and key scrambler free both fantastic at what they do

Stanman
13-01-13, 22:14
You got links Jcm?

drx360
18-01-13, 12:34
Eset wins it hands down for me, great detection, low on cpu & ram

Hotchef
18-01-13, 13:46
What about on a mac, does anyone use antivirus
, if so which?

Del6600
23-01-13, 18:18
I am a pro pc builder and recommend Avast 100% - set it up to update everything automatically (definitions & program) and you will never get another problem. Add to this Malware bytes and you have an un-beatable protection software system.
Remember only one anti-virus program and one Malware program can be installed. Any old programs MUST be removed 100% before installing any new program or you are asking for trouble.
del

snakie
26-01-13, 11:46
I have Kaspersky .If you do internet banking with Barclays you get it for free.
I had before Norton an Mcafee and never was really happy-because it was not free:p

Islander
25-03-13, 05:17
I prefer Avast Free Antivirus.It is very good and also free.I have been using this for years along with Malwarebytes free anti malware.

bsmith1
16-05-14, 16:31
Vipre Internet Security for me, been using the Vipre AV for over 8 year never failed me then switched to Internet security when they released it.

bellejt
16-05-14, 16:37
free avast is the best for me.And Ad aware as standby on boot.I put this on every PC I had in my hands the last 5 years .Working with Win XP pro SP3 without updates and never had any problems.Even on downloading from dangerous sites.

tomos
16-05-14, 16:56
I use avast on my iMac

nsw9154
16-05-14, 17:31
at the moment i am using Norton as I got it free for 6 month with my New Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard and it seems to be working ok
but after it runs out I will go back to using AGV Free as I already have a Full subscription for Malwarebytes and RegCure Pro :thumbsup:

madian
16-05-14, 21:59
Avast free for me used it for years never had a prob

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

nsw9154
16-05-14, 22:50
might try Avast again I also used it for years actually I ran AVG & Avast together but that all stopped with Vista :mad:

Sirius
16-05-14, 23:27
Avg + mailwarebytes hear carnt fault it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

femilovechild
17-05-14, 10:50
Avast FTW.

boysheff
17-05-14, 13:31
I've had loads of antivirus and the free one are not that great, on numerous occasions I would get the odd virus creeping in especially avg! avast is good at you can scan at start up of PC. Jasper sky was great until I got a key logger which could not be removed , that's when I used norton 360 and have done ever since with no issues to PC slowing down and catches everything. Also use malware bytes it's free and catches everything, can be used with any AV

Andy_Hazza
17-05-14, 14:20
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and that's been great for me.

deleted
17-05-14, 15:45
A good anti-virus is the one you use, avast free should be good, but I removed it because it drove me crazy from the constant stream of pop-ups. At the moment I'm using Avira Free.
MSE/Windows Defender are the baseline, wich means it's better than nothing and all the rest is better.

In the end they are all worthless if you cross paths with a virus they can't detect. And every virus maker tries to do just that, fooling all of them.

So if you wanna be safe switch to Linux, not because it is safer, but it's not a big target OS like Windows, if you can't switch, just use your brains and verify the source before executing anything, don't run with Administrator privileges, if you don't know why you're clicking "yes".

Also use for example Chrome/Adblock Plus wich can also warn you before entering a site that contains Malware/Viruses, better to prevent than to fix it later.

Also once infected, consider yourself compromised, the only solution to be 100% sure you are clean again is by doing a clean install. Why not using a well known virus as a decoy for your brand spanking new virus that no anti-virus knows yet?? Keeping the infected busy cleaning the known virus up and being happy about it, while the unknown virus can do it's thing.

Rob van der Does
17-05-14, 17:31
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and that's been great for me.
But tests show it to be only marginal sufficient and MS will stop support for it in a year or so.

nsw9154
17-05-14, 18:42
funnily enough as I was reading this thread my Malwarebites upgraded to Premium version 2.0.1.1004 :D:cool:

Alec
18-05-14, 21:25
I've been reading this thread with interest...and its amazing how the "mine's bigger than yours" comes bubbling out. Lol.

So here's mine. I've used most over the years
Norton decent, did slow pc a bit though but a bugger to uninstall all features really gets in deep.
Kaspersky personally didn't rate it. Couldn't get away with the software layout and functionality.
Mcaffee again didn't really rate.
Avg free found it easy to navigate and didn't have any problems.
Microsoft security essentials that's what I'm using now and touch wood haven't had any problems.

....but my favourite and what I rate as the best is trend micro. I thought that was spot on. Easy to navigate and found every little beasty, that had found its way on to my PC. Also didn't slow system down at all. Would still use it but I'm tight and don't want to pay for security no more. But also once every do often I run their online free "house call" scan just for peace of mind. Google it.

One last thing I will add though is even the most basic anti virus software should be adequate for any PC............ As long as you don't visit any naughty sites;) or download any dodgy files e.g. torrents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I use free Avast, and scan every now again with free Trend Micro. I tried others but they either slow down the PC,or are pretty rubbish.

jez
20-05-14, 18:31
Eset nod32 best by far IMO.

pooface
20-05-14, 19:15
Eset nod32 best by far IMO.

I haven't tried the home versions which are v7 iirc. But, the business versions are the ones I use (as get it free from work :p), and they are the best imo (as I'm sure I stated before in this thread :p)