PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 receivers off homeplugs

deckymckeown
10-01-13, 18:49
A quick question guys, a friend of mine wants to run 2 receivers in 2 seperate rooms. She has one running now using Devolo 85mps homeplugs, which works flawlessly.

He has just bought a second receiver, but doesnt know if she should buy another set of the same Devolo homeplugs and

1) have one connected at the router and 1 at the other end at each receiver

or

2) have 2 plugs running from the router, and 1 at each receiver

or

3) buy a different brand of homeplug and have it conntected at the router and the other at the second receiver, so as to have the two receivers running entirely off different homeplug connections

Im not up to speed in relation to the technology behind these homeplugs, apart from knowing that they work through the electrical sockets as opposed to wirelessly....... but i was thinking option 1?

twol
10-01-13, 20:04
A quick question guys, a friend of mine wants to run 2 receivers in 2 seperate rooms. She has one running now using Devolo 85mps homeplugs, which works flawlessly.

He has just bought a second receiver, but doesnt know if she should buy another set of the same Devolo homeplugs and

1) have one connected at the router and 1 at the other end at each receiver

or

2) have 2 plugs running from the router, and 1 at each receiver

or

3) buy a different brand of homeplug and have it conntected at the router and the other at the second receiver, so as to have the two receivers running entirely off different homeplug connections

Im not up to speed in relation to the technology behind these homeplugs, apart from knowing that they work through the electrical sockets as opposed to wirelessly....... but i was thinking option 1?

Normally you have one master which will drive one or more extensions.
In fact I have just bought a new set (master plus 2 extensions) and the master also quite happily drives another vendors existing extension.

hilly
10-01-13, 20:44
i have 500mbps homeplugs on a gigablue quad downstairs and a giga se upstairs.The homeplug downstairs is a 4 port one so also has the smart tv connected,all work without problems.I 1st tried the 85mbps ones and couldnt get them to work on my network with the internet speed i have.

Stanman
10-01-13, 22:22
Running 4 here, 3 ebuyer value packs and one TPLink, most important thing is to have the right standard and chipset otherwise will not talk to each other.

You will need one for the router and one for each box so 3 in total.

cwebb66
11-01-13, 18:53
try to get the 200mbps and not the 85mbps as i have found that they can not cope with streaming , and make sure they are on the same ring main circiut , hope it helps

Stanman
11-01-13, 21:05
try to get the 200mbps and not the 85mbps as i have found that they can not cope with streaming , and make sure they are on the same ring main circiut , hope it helps

Don't need to be on the same ring circuit as long as its the same fusebox.

I have 3 and one is on the new ring main and works fine.

mickyblueys
11-01-13, 21:34
I'm running these on different ring main but same fuse box too, no problems what so ever

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

cwebb66
14-01-13, 03:45
well they do recommend useing the same ring , but if they work off a differnt ring all well and good , i also have 3 running or it could be 4