PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Usb dvb-t

kco3d
08-01-13, 21:55
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help with this problem. I've had my VU+ Duo for about 2 years now and have used the VIX image from the beginning. I've taken all updates as they've been released. I'm located in Ireland and using the duo for freesat and saorview. All recordings go to internal HDD. Picons located on external usb drive which is also used for timeshift. Problem I'm having is with the WinTV usb dvb-t tuner.

There are times when all the saorview channels go blank. All freesat channels are fine. The only solution is to reboot the box. The one common link between each occurrence is that there is a recording either starting or ongoing on a freesat or saorview channel.

Just now, I was recording something on DVB-T channel while watching something I had recorded a few days ago. When I finished watching the recording and exited back to live tv all DVB-T channels were gone and the recording had stopped around the time I had finished watching the recording. Its like the usb tuner crashes.

Has anybody seen this problem before or have any ideas?

Thanks,

judge
08-01-13, 22:17
Don't have this issue myself, using Nova T to watch & record Saorview.
Are any crash logs generated?
Have you tried installing the usbtunerhelper in the feeds?

dfdream
09-01-13, 08:07
Unfortunately if you are having these problems you are not alone. This forum is full of users complaining about DVB-T not working. If you are having problems there isnt a solution (other than going mad). A few lads here have reported that they have no issue with the same sticks but I dont know what the differences would be. You could start by trying other brands but where would that end...

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help with this problem. I've had my VU+ Duo for about 2 years now and have used the VIX image from the beginning. I've taken all updates as they've been released. I'm located in Ireland and using the duo for freesat and saorview. All recordings go to internal HDD. Picons located on external usb drive which is also used for timeshift. Problem I'm having is with the WinTV usb dvb-t tuner.

There are times when all the saorview channels go blank. All freesat channels are fine. The only solution is to reboot the box. The one common link between each occurrence is that there is a recording either starting or ongoing on a freesat or saorview channel.

Just now, I was recording something on DVB-T channel while watching something I had recorded a few days ago. When I finished watching the recording and exited back to live tv all DVB-T channels were gone and the recording had stopped around the time I had finished watching the recording. Its like the usb tuner crashes.

Thanks,

judge
09-01-13, 08:21
Unfortunately if you are having these problems you are not alone. This forum is full of users complaining about DVB-T not working. If you are having problems there isnt a solution (other than going mad). A few lads here have reported that they have no issue with the same sticks but I dont know what the differences would be. You could start by trying other brands but where would that end...

where is the forum full of users complaining about DVB-T sticks?

dfdream
09-01-13, 09:36
where is the forum full of users complaining about DVB-T sticks?

Heres a few... Or just search for Nova, Suntek, DTT etc....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15564-USB-DVB-T-tuner&p=115728&viewfull=1#post115728

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18596-Nova-T-stick-problems-with-Vix-2-4&p=136386&viewfull=1#post136386

judge
09-01-13, 09:43
Heres a few... Or just search for Nova, Suntek, DTT etc....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15564-USB-DVB-T-tuner&p=115728&viewfull=1#post115728

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18596-Nova-T-stick-problems-with-Vix-2-4&p=136386&viewfull=1#post136386
To be fair, I wouldn't think pointing at 2 of my posts indicates that "This forum is full of users complaining about DVB-T not working", I've posted my issues but I still use 2 sticks on a daily basis, without any issues.

dfdream
09-01-13, 09:52
Its just to show that its not reliable you have to agree, why should it not be as reliable as a satellite tuner.
They are clearly not OK... "crashed the box the odd time" or "Loosing the Nova T after a day or so is a known issue & being looked into, hopefully we will have a fix soon" doesnt imply reliability.
Enough said....

judge
09-01-13, 11:02
Its just to show that its not reliable you have to agree, why should it not be as reliable as a satellite tuner.
maybe because it's not an inbuilt tuner supported by the manufacturer.

They are clearly not OK... "crashed the box the odd time" or "Loosing the Nova T after a day or so is a known issue & being looked into, hopefully we will have a fix soon" doesnt imply reliability.
Enough said....
They are old quotes & to be honest, I have a duo in my mothers house that rarely gets rebooted, works perfectly fine for her with Irish Saorview.

guff daddy
09-01-13, 12:59
maybe because it's not an inbuilt tuner supported by the manufacturer.

They are old quotes ...

They may be old quotes, but the problem hasn't been resolved and still exists. My workaround is to shut down the box every night - actually I have a remote controlled power socket connected to VU+, TV, Amp and powered Subwoofer and I shut the whole thing down at night because it draws about 200w of power (even in standby)...

The DVB-T problem I think is related to the USB ports being insufficiently powered - certainly if I enable Permanent Timeshift and set it to write to a USB stick the DVB-T generally lasts between 15 to 30 minutes before crashing. My workaround for this is not to use PTS :)

Rob van der Does
09-01-13, 13:08
The DVB-T problem I think is related to the USB ports being insufficiently powered
You'd best not use any bus-powered device at all: that's always asking for problems.

guff daddy
10-01-13, 10:51
You'd best not use any bus-powered device at all: that's always asking for problems.
True, but I've also tried with a seperately powered USB hub with the same result - although the hub had both DVB-T and USB stick connected. Maybe I should try with two seperate hub devices each connected to a different USB port on the VU+?

Rob van der Does
10-01-13, 10:56
True, but I've also tried with a seperately powered USB hub with the same result....
So that proves them that the problem is not related to the USB-port of the box.

Maybe I should try with two seperate hub devices each connected to a different USB port on the VU+?
Trying doesn't hurt.
I could imagine that one USB-port is too slow for multiple tuners.

guff daddy
10-01-13, 11:05
So that proves them that the problem is not related to the USB-port of the box.

"Powered" is possibly the wrong word - what I meant was that possibly the box doesn't have sufficient resources (could be bus paths or controlling chipset) to enable two different devices in constant use, although as it is working fine for most people it is difficult to say. Could be due to different revisions of the mainboard (I have a fairly early VU+ Duo - purchased in March 2010).

It also seems to be only an issue with Irish DTT - I don't know if UK users use DTT much (although I believe the Freeview service is pretty good) but AFAIK I've only heard reports of these problems from Irish users...

Rob van der Does
10-01-13, 11:18
..... Could be due to different revisions of the mainboard (I have a fairly early VU+ Duo - purchased in March 2010). ....
That shouldn't be any problem, as the revision were only carried out to replace parts that are no longer available (i.e. no functional changes).

icontact
17-01-13, 02:10
Another WinTV user with the very same problem as described below
Trouble started when I update from vix 2.1 to 3
Can't seem to uninstall the Nova Win driver dib0700 also
If I find solutions I will share

Irish vu user

Hi Guys,

Thanks,