PDA

View Full Version : gigablue ue thoughts

zenith
06-01-13, 18:35
hi all,
have been thinking for a while about getting a gigablue ue and wondered if anyone with one can give me their thoughts on it.
thank you

azael
06-01-13, 18:52
Hi
I've had a UE for around 3 months now and have found the box to be really stable and there are loads of tutorials on here to get it up and running. I can seriously recommend getting one of these:thumbsup:

zenith
06-01-13, 19:07
thanks for that.
is it quick channel changing and is it stable what image do you have on it too?
thanks again

azael
06-01-13, 19:21
Yep channel changing pretty quick and I would say really stable (using VIX can't comment on other images) it doesn't seem to like the 1 channel plugin which can cause it to crash and reboot but I think that may be down to the plugin than the box

et9k
20-10-13, 10:03
i want to give u and honest opinion, i've bought a LOT of decoders, gigablue hd 800 UE it is a DON'T BUY, too many bugs, almost nothing works like it should, gigablue hd 800 SE instead works perfect. Trust me, really.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 11:25
Please post these bugs then so that we can see whats going on. Your the first person I have seen with such a post about this receiver.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

et9k
20-10-13, 12:51
i know, expected that, i love vix images, pheonix, i really do, but trust me... i tested all decoders u provides images for, while vu+ and et9xxx decoders works PERFECT i tell you that this gigablue UE really looks like a chinese toy. But u are right, i have to explain what i mean:

i have gigablue ue combo with vix 3.0.747
1-dvb-t tuner it's really really "insensitive", i have 70% to 90% with my et9000 and avermedia a867 but only 35-44% with gigablue UE, obviously with same antenna and cable.
2-i've had to revert to vix 3.0.747 because with lastest vix image decoder WILL NOT BOOT, even, obviously, with last bootloader, it stucks on blue openvix "birds" wallpaper and fixed red led.
3-mediaplayer divx video playback is laggy and drops framerate drammatically while image moves (so i guess this happens when bitrate increases), mkv (even 1080) with dts/dd playback is perfect.
4-i've had to reinstall again and again the same image with same usb key before decoder "accepted" to boot (even if everytime installed the image), like usb port corrupt files sometime, or something like that.
5-menu and remote are laggy
6-project valerie puts decoder into a crash loop, had to manually remove it from ftp and telnet in order to manage to boot properly.
7-rebooting decoder it's like a "russian roulette": sometimes it reboots properly, sometimes it get stuck again on openvix "blue bird" wallpaper and fixed red led, once again have to unplug/replug power cable to make it boot (one of the most annoying things)
8-vfd display is buggy, sometimes when u reboot it turns all black or all white, and remains like that until u unplug/replug power cable. (and this with original firmware too)
9-heard some friends of mine that received decoder with malfunctioning display (not turning on at all or with bad/inverted colors)

i'm sure i forgot something.. but it's ok for now. I say, DO NOT BUY, get a gigablue SE instead or go for vuplus.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 12:54
i know, expected that, i love vix images, pheonix, i really do, but trust me... i tested all decoders u provides images for, while vu+ and et9xxx decoders works PERFECT i tell you that this gigablue UE really looks like a chinese toy. But u are right, i have to explain what i mean:

I'm not dismissing your earlier report but we need users to tell us when things dont work so that we can fix them, if users just make threads saying things dont work but dont tell us the exact problem we have no way of knowing whats broken in order to even begin the process of fixing it.

et9k
20-10-13, 12:59
I'm not dismissing your earlier report but we need users to tell us when things dont work so that we can fix them, if users just make threads saying things dont work but dont tell us the exact problem we have no way of knowing whats broken in order to even begin the process of fixing it.

absolutely agreed, sorry 'bout that. Now i posted what's happened to me with this decoder, i hope it can helps, refresh page cuz i've edited my post a few times :p

et9k
20-10-13, 17:31
but now that i've explained my experience with that decoder i've expected an answer..

pooface
20-10-13, 18:03
but now that i've explained my experience with that decoder i've expected an answer..

How do you expect us to answer to this!?

You said things are working. But, you haven't posted any debug logs?! So, how are we meant to see what's causing the issue?! Please, re-create this issue. Post a full step-by-step on how to reproduce, and then post the debug log when this happened...

et9k
20-10-13, 19:09
How do you expect us to answer to this!?

You said things are working. But, you haven't posted any debug logs?! So, how are we meant to see what's causing the issue?! Please, re-create this issue. Post a full step-by-step on how to reproduce, and then post the debug log when this happened...

With all respect, didn't u test your images? that said, i sure wanna help fixin issues. Can u please tell me exactly where is that debug log located?
however, about issues i found, if u read my post, i think posting a debug log it's only usefull for point 7 (wich it's probably the same issue that causes point 4)
Framerate drop for divx, laggy remote, buggy vfd or insensitive dvb-t tuners are unloggable i think.
Also a little update about divx playback, i converted one of the divx movie i have (all playback with framerate drops, tested around 50) to .mkv with handbrake and it playbacks perfectly, same movie, same audio track, but h264 codec instead of divx, also, paused movies (even mkv) cause them to get stuck, no way u can unpause, u can only close mediaplayer or play another movie in order to come back to what you were watching (but from beginning)

Larry-G
20-10-13, 22:26
With all respect, didn't u test your images?

we used to test every aspect of the image prior to release which often meant images were released maybe twice or three times a year, for this we were hounded with complaints from users who wanted the image now buggy or not. now we operate a slightly different system whereby we still do test but not as stringently unless major changes are introduced, for this we still get complained at. how can we win here ?.

I heard a rather apt quote the other day that i'll re-quote.

If you dont pay for something, how can you expect to be treated like a customer ??.

Dont get me wrong i'm not having a go but every thing we do, we do for free, out of our own time. and people still complain.

how is that for gratitude ?.

Larry-G
20-10-13, 22:36
With all respect, didn't u test your images? that said, i sure wanna help fixin issues. Can u please tell me exactly where is that debug log located?
however, about issues i found, if u read my post, i think posting a debug log it's only usefull for point 7 (wich it's probably the same issue that causes point 4)
Framerate drop for divx, laggy remote, buggy vfd or insensitive dvb-t tuners are unloggable i think.
Also a little update about divx playback, i converted one of the divx movie i have (all playback with framerate drops, tested around 50) to .mkv with handbrake and it playbacks perfectly, same movie, same audio track, but h264 codec instead of divx, also, paused movies (even mkv) cause them to get stuck, no way u can unpause, u can only close mediaplayer or play another movie in order to come back to what you were watching (but from beginning)

debug logs are by default located in /home/root/logs/.

media player functionality is largely out of our hands as with all STB's it's very much hardware based ie not upgradeable via codec plugins, this is something only the manufacturer can improve upon with drivers and bootloader updates.

et9k
20-10-13, 22:39
debug logs are by default located in /home/root/logs/.

media player functionality is largely out of our hands as with all STB's it's very much hardware based ie not upgradeable via codec plugins, this is something only the manufacturer can improve upon with drivers and bootloader updates.

right but i remember this same problem with early drivers for et9000 and i fixed them by manually replace video drivers with ftp, can u post latest video drivers and tell me where can i put the files? thanks a lot in advance

Larry-G
20-10-13, 22:42
right but i remember this same problem with early drivers for et9000 and i fixed them by manually replace video drivers with ftp, can u post latest video drivers and tell me where can i put the files? thanks a lot in advance

The latest drivers should be in the image, look in menu> information> about. This should give you the date of the drivers in the image, more than that i cant help as i dont own / operate a gigablue, so i'm not as upto date with them as say the Technomate or Vu+ receivers.

et9k
20-10-13, 22:44
we used to test every aspect of the image prior to release which often meant images were released maybe twice or three times a year, for this we were hounded with complaints from users who wanted the image now buggy or not. now we operate a slightly different system whereby we still do test but not as stringently unless major changes are introduced, for this we still get complained at. how can we win here ?.

I heard a rather apt quote the other day that i'll re-quote.

If you dont pay for something, how can you expect to be treated like a customer ??.

Dont get me wrong i'm not having a go but every thing we do, we do for free, out of our own time. and people still complain.

how is that for gratitude ?.

now stop here ! vix team is the BEST so far for me and i LOVE your images! u seriously should believe me when i say that i'm REALLY grateful to you ! i'm pissed with this decoder, not with you ! now let's see if u can give me an hand? i'm not claiming help, just asking for it, and, at the status of things i just don't wise to buy this decoder, nothing to do with complain the vix team.

et9k
20-10-13, 22:46
The latest drivers should be in the image, look in menu> information> about. This should give you the date of the drivers in the image, more than that i cant help as i dont own / operate a gigablue, so i'm not as upto date with them as say the Technomate or Vu+ receivers.

can't install latest image from vix, decoder will not boot, that's why i'm asking if i can manually add drivers

Larry-G
20-10-13, 22:47
Try build 760 that should be online now..

judge
20-10-13, 22:49
can't install latest image from vix, decoder will not boot, that's why i'm asking if i can manually add drivers

What is your version of 'latest image' & can you provide any logs?

Sicilian
20-10-13, 22:57
If 760 is not booting for you please provide a RS232 bootlog.

et9k
20-10-13, 22:57
What is your version of 'latest image' & can you provide any logs?
was 750.. can i do a full backup before trying 760?

Larry-G
20-10-13, 23:00
can i do a full backup before trying 760?

yes, as was posted here.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21343-OpenViX-3-0-updates-and-changelogs/page10

Mr. Mister
20-10-13, 23:04
I flased an 800Se earlier today with 760..

All was perfect and no issues what so ever..

Do not use any restore from back ups.. when you flash 760.. And set it up like a new STB.. Then you will have no issues..

When i left my m8`s house earlier this evening.. His 800SE was working perfect.. and he was a happy chappy..

judge
20-10-13, 23:08
was 750.. can i do a full backup before trying 760?

Exactly the reason we continually ask users to post the actual build number.
The latest publicaly available build before 760 was 753...
And, yes. As pheonix notes in that thread, you should do a fresh flash of 760 restoring a backup if you want to.
However, as you're having issues, it might be best not to restore & set 760 up from scratch.

et9k
21-10-13, 00:37
Exactly the reason we continually ask users to post the actual build number.
The latest publicaly available build before 760 was 753...
And, yes. As pheonix notes in that thread, you should do a fresh flash of 760 restoring a backup if you want to.
However, as you're having issues, it might be best not to restore & set 760 up from scratch.

i know, that's exactly why i want a backup, to restore if 760 fails to boot, not restoring 753 things on 760, btw i have a 800 se too, and have no problems with it, remember we are talking about UE (that's to mr.mister)

judge
21-10-13, 00:49
i know, that's exactly why i want a backup, to restore if 760 fails to boot, not restoring 753 things on 760, btw i have a 800 se too, and have no problems with it, remember we are talking about UE (that's to mr.mister)

So soes a fresh flash of 760 work or not on any of the boxes? :confused:

et9k
21-10-13, 01:50
So soes a fresh flash of 760 work or not on any of the boxes? :confused:

it's 2:49 am here goin to bed, tomorrow i will, and post what happened, thanks for now, nn

et9k
25-10-13, 23:18
hello, i tried all the latest images, not even one works, decoder will not boot.

seame
26-10-13, 04:10
So Zenith, just wondering if you bought the 800 UE or not?

Rob van der Does
26-10-13, 06:23
hello, i tried all the latest images, not even one works, decoder will not boot.
Then please create a thread with your issue; that's what the forum is meant for.

et9k
26-10-13, 10:09
openvix-3.0.729 boots but only with hdmi unplugged, had to plug it after boot and all works.
Anyway, even if some of the images will not boot at all (even with a "normal television"), i found out why some others will boot only with hdmi disconnected, i use a pc monitor as display with an hdmi>dvi adapter and this seems to be the problem, (but if i plug it AFTER boot it works too) i guess decoder tries to set itself at 1920x1200 instead or 1080? anyway i will test more and post logs soon