PDA

View Full Version : Transcoding. Bitrates?

greatcapp
05-01-13, 19:30
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of moving to the Solo 2 from my Duo.

One of the main reasons would be for the possible transcoding feature.

At work, I would like to use either a PC or iPad (Streamgate/or similar) to access my box at home.

The issue is, I can access the Duo, but because my work's internet connection is pretty poor, (maybe 3-4mb max) the Duo stutters every couple of seconds.

Looking at the bitrate info on VLC, it seems that the raw feed from the Duo needs around 5,000kbps for an SD channel, which is too high for a stable connection at work.

I know the Solo 2 can transcode. Can anyone tell me what the bitrate might be on an SD channel?

Also, is it likely at any point, that you might be able to set different bitrates within the transcoding feature, or is it likely that it will always just be a set rate?

Trial
05-01-13, 22:49
Hi,
when I looked at it the bitrate was between 400 and 800 KBit so quite low but the image quality is also quite low at the moment and it is not adjustable at the moment. The picture quality is perhaps OK for a smartphone but on a tablet it does not look to good.

ciao

greatcapp
05-01-13, 22:51
Thanks for the info Trial.

If you happen to look again at any point, it would be ace to find out if it improves/gets worse etc & at what bit rates.

Thanks.

Trial
05-01-13, 23:28
Hi,
I donīt think that there is a change. As far as I remember all SD channel were around 400KBit and HD channel around 800KBit. I wait till I can change something like resolution or bitrate in the image.

ciao