PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] [SOLVED] Bad signal

bokkie
04-01-13, 22:47
Ok guys, here goes.
I received my brand new solo2 today. unwrapped and got it all set up.
I connected my static dish on 28e to tuner A and my motorised dish to tuner B
Tried out bbc world news on 13 e and the signal was really bad, channel was glitching. SNR was about 40% as was the agc.
So I tried bbc 1 on 28e and was also down in the 40's.
Swapped tuners but this didn't help either.
So i hooked my old duo up again, checked bbc world news, and it was about 88 snr and 93 agc.
Tried bbc 1 and it was 78% snr and 93% agc.
Have I got a duff box?
Why such a big difference?
I would've thought the solo2 would be much better than the old duo.
Any ideas?

bokkie
04-01-13, 23:01
Yep. Just connected the solo2 back and the agc has dropped by about 40% on bbc1 and bbc world news on 13e.
But when i go to 16e on channels that the duo just pulled in, the solo2 show a slight signal increase.
Is it an image fault?
I'm running the latest vix, just did a software update.
What gives?

Sicilian
04-01-13, 23:32
Just checked BBC World new here on hotbird signal is perfect, double check your motor settings.

Have you uploaded any settings/bouquets or satellites.xml?

bokkie
04-01-13, 23:56
Yes I have uploaded settings but the same on both boxes. Could it be an image fault?

Sicilian
05-01-13, 00:00
Try and reflash and manual single satellite scan of 28.2. Use build 552 here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo2/

Do not upload anything or use anykind of backups.

How to reflash http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24773-How-to-USB-flash-upgrade-VU-Solo2

bokkie
05-01-13, 00:54
I'll have a go tomorrow thanks, Time for bed.

Trial
05-01-13, 08:47
Hi bokie,
do not pay attention to the AGC value as they are not correct at the moment.

ciao

saxon
05-01-13, 10:14
mine has been pretty much the same as my DUO but i have notice and i think Trial as answered my question with the AGC normally mid way never really took any notice but now around the 97% mark but i have a steady picture so thats all what matters

Sicilian
05-01-13, 10:26
Theres a few current models reporting incorrect SNR/AGC, driver issues.

bokkie
05-01-13, 18:54
Thanks all, I think I'll just leave as is for now as I'm not really having any picture problems. Also having a bit of a disaster at home with water pissing out the f*****g ceiling from the split cold water tank.
What has happened to the auto deep standby that was in vix 2.4? Also can't seem to find how to nudge the dish manually.
I'm also not able to get transcoding working properly from outside network. I get the openwebif up on my galaxy s3 but when I choose a channel in the bouquet it doesn't open. Is the a specific player I should be using?
Normally I'd have a bit more of a play before asking questions, but as I said before, I've kinda had my hands full today.
Thanks

Trial
05-01-13, 22:52
Hi bokkie,

auto deep standby look at menu, timer, power timer it is completely new since a few builds and I really like it.

transcoding works on port 8002 so you should enable a port forwarding in your router for that port and configure the player (dreamdroid etc) for that port. Of course you must enable transcoding with the plugin.

ciao

bokkie
06-01-13, 00:12
I have forwarded port 8002 and tried using dreamdroid as well. I can access the bouquets, etc but when I click on stream it just buffers for a while then times out.
Thanks for pointing out the power timer. I just assumed when looking at the menu that timers was for recordings, etc. It used to be under power management.

Trial
06-01-13, 08:49
Hi,
have you tried in your LAN before going into the WAN?

ciao

bokkie
08-01-13, 11:55
Theres a few current models reporting incorrect SNR/AGC, driver issues.

Is this a driver fault? I think this might be affbouquets auto bouquet as it's throwing up an error, timeout for tumer lock, when I try a scan for auto bouquet I've tried flashing and scanning 28.2 but I've still got incorrect values. The satellite is locked on but could the low values be effecting auto bouquet?

cpistola
19-01-13, 11:15
Is this a driver fault? I think this might be affbouquets auto bouquet as it's throwing up an error, timeout for tumer lock, when I try a scan for auto bouquet I've tried flashing and scanning 28.2 but I've still got incorrect values. The satellite is locked on but could the low values be effecting auto bouquet?

Hi bokkie
Are the solo2 problems resolved?
I'll buy one and your issues are not good news

Sicilian
19-01-13, 11:17
Hi bokkie
Are the solo2 problems resolved?
I'll buy one and your issues are not good news

Theres no issues with the Solo2 tuning, the incorrect agc value is just a small driver issue.

Rob van der Does
19-01-13, 13:16
Theres no issues with the Solo2 tuning, the incorrect agc value is just a small driver issue.
Maybe we should delete the AGC from all the skins: after all they are no use at all.

manicscrewdriver
19-01-13, 14:14
To be honest i think that AGC is misleading anyway. The only thing that should be on skins is Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Bit Error Rate. There is no need for anything else, although to be honest you could probably drop the Bit Error Rate reading also.

Nano

Rob van der Does
19-01-13, 14:49
Signal Strength = AGC = useless.
Same for BER, as it is after correction. Any value shown up there means no (good) picture; and for that we need no read-out.
Only remaining interesting value is SNR.

manicscrewdriver
19-01-13, 18:01
AGC = Automatic Gain Control - primary function is to maintain a constant signal
level at the output, regardless of the signal’s variations at the input of the system. This is not input signal strength it is a constant of signal after it has been through the AGC circuitry. It does not equal signal strength

Signal strength is the level of signal being received by the receiver measured in dB before going through any AGC circuitry :D

At least that was what i they said when i did the CAI course a few years ago :amen:

Rob van der Does
19-01-13, 19:06
AGC = Automatic Gain Control - primary function is to maintain a constant signal
level at the output, regardless of the signal’s variations at the input of the system. This is not input signal strength it is a constant of signal after it has been through the AGC circuitry. It does not equal signal strength

Signal strength is the level of signal being received by the receiver measured in dB before going through any AGC circuitry :D

At least that was what i they said when i did the CAI course a few years ago :amen:
Technically speaking you're absolutely right. But:
1- I'm convinced that most (all?) AGC readout is in fact signal strength;
2- If it's indeed (the level of) AGC it has a direct (inversed, although maybe not liniair) relation with the received signal strength.

Having said that: we could indeed better change the word AGC for....... do you know a better AND short word/abbreviation for it.......?

Or still better, as I suggested earlier, leave it out completely (apart from the SatFinder that is), as it is as useless and confusing as the BER-after-correction is.

digidude
19-01-13, 19:30
NO image accuratly reports any of the signal it receives, and to the average end user, the best indication is the 'breaking up' of the picture

SNR, AGC and BER at the receiver can all be affected by

cable quality
the quality of the installation (kinked cable etc)
warping of the dish
LNB skew (affects all 3 massivley)
alaignment of the dish and or motor
focal adjustment of the LNB

and numerous other things

SNR will also depend on your location, and things around you, as its not an actual reading, but a comparison, between the actual signal you require, and the background noise, and will also be affected by dish / LNB combinations

manicscrewdriver
19-01-13, 19:48
Couldn't have said it better myself Rob. I must admit though i do like to see signal strength and SNR on the OSD even though i know most of the time its wrong :D

I've never had a receiver that reports anywhere near the same signal readings as my meter reports.

To be honest, in a nut shell to keep it simple i would just have it as Strength and Quality :thumbsup:

That would keep most people happy i would say.

I also agree with what Digidude says. Are you the same Digidude i used to enjoy a bit of banter with over on Techwatch, regarding cable TV :D

Nano

Rob van der Does
19-01-13, 19:52
NO image accuratly reports any of the signal it receives,
Correct, and even more: the image has nothing to do with it at all.
The drivers report the values (or not as is the case for some STB's) and the skin shows them (or not, depending on the skin).

SNR, AGC and BER at the receiver can all be affected by
cable quality
the quality of the installation (kinked cable etc)
warping of the dish
LNB skew (affects all 3 massivley)
alaignment of the dish and or motor
focal adjustment of the LNB

and numerous other things
Correct again (for AGC & SNR), and that gives some value to those values: after all the only important thing is what the box actually gets.
For BER: again, as it is the value AFTER correction, this is useless. We should be able to find a way to read the BER BEFORE correction: that would be interesting!

SNR will also depend on your location, and things around you, as its not an actual reading, but a comparison, between the actual signal you require, and the background noise, and will also be affected by dish / LNB combinations
That indeed is (more or less) the definition of SNR. And that value is the only one that really interests me, as that is an indication of what the box actually gets to work with.

manicscrewdriver
19-01-13, 20:05
I remember the way that SNR was explained in layman's terms to me all those years ago whilst in college. The lecturer basically put it across as if you were to imagine you were in a noisy pub. (Public Drinking House :D)

The signal was your friend talking to you and the noise was the ambient back ground noise in the pub.

If your friend spoke to you at a normal level you could not hear him as the back ground noise was greater, hence the noise was greater than the signal so the signal was drowned out, so the noise had a greater ratio than the signal.

If your friend then had to shout at you so he could be heard above the background noise then the signal would have a greater ratio than the noise as you could hear him.

Simple when you think about it.

I could also go on about his polishing a turd story, but thats more to do with signal amplification lol.

Nano

TK4|2|1
19-01-13, 20:22
Signal to noise is a measurement made by the receiver after demodulation.

Just throwing that out there lol.
1 thing I remember from the CAI smatv course I did.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

digidude
19-01-13, 20:35
For BER: again, as it is the value AFTER correction, this is useless. We should be able to find a way to read the BER BEFORE correction: that would be interesting!

yes, the BER is a reading after correction, there is also a reading BEFORE correction, but i already had a few beers (first night off medication since the day after boxing day, yay) and i cannot think of it, and cannot be arsed to go to the van for my speccy to see what its called as well lol

but, for the average joe, their 'quality' is solely dependant on how much their picture looks like lego, and a simple 'bar' like on sly receivers would be adequate for 95%+ of end users, as most people now dont have these receivers 'for the hobby' any longer

Rob van der Does
19-01-13, 20:57
yes, the BER is a reading after correction, there is also a reading BEFORE correction,
I promise you: there's no (consumer) box presenting the BER before correction. At least not any more: maybe a very old E1-DM-box.
And professional equipment of course. Most simple (i.e. affordable) meters also only have the after-reading.

manicscrewdriver
19-01-13, 21:42
Signal to noise is a measurement made by the receiver after demodulation.

I thought that was the (MER) Modulation Error rate :confused:

Yes i did the same course too back in 2011, Paid for by those nice people at the company in Bristol i was working for at the time :finger:

Did Les steal all the Brie sandwiches when you did it :D

Nano

TK4|2|1
19-01-13, 23:35
I thought that was the (MER) Modulation Error rate :confused:

Yes i did the same course too back in 2011, Paid for by those nice people at the company in Bristol i was working for at the time :finger:

Did Les steal all the Brie sandwiches when you did it :D

Nano

Les? It's been over 10 years since I did mine, in Aldershot. Still got the modules in the loft, might dig em out for a big of light reading.

Back on topic. Wouldn't it be easier to just have an S and a Q instead of it saying snr ad agc? Cut out the confusion.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs.

manicscrewdriver
20-01-13, 00:18
I was referring to Les Hampson, he was the main lecturer and tutor at the head office in Watford, where i did my assesment for the course. I also believe he is now the Vice chairman of the CAI.

As for the topic we were discussing, i think that just plain signal and quality is all that is needed, so yes i do agree with you on that one :D

Nano

Rob van der Does
20-01-13, 05:52
OK, I adapted Magic-HD to that (and also left out BER).

Maxwell
20-01-13, 09:22
might want to edit out your server address in that screenshot Rob

digidude
20-01-13, 10:17
OK, I adapted Magic-HD to that (and also left out BER).

for the average end user, this is much more friendly, and easier for them to understand, nice job :)

manicscrewdriver
20-01-13, 12:36
I like it. Does what it says on the tin :thumbsup: