PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] USB devices causing issues? To me yes. (A simply workaround)

MarsArtis
04-01-13, 21:09
Hi devs,
I'm positive that many issue that till now have affected my three DUO are related to external USB devices.
Just to summarize:
DUO A - bought and contestualy instaled a WesternDigital Caviar Blu 500GB.
Never had any peculiar issue with VIX. Juste few freezes on the first times because I was experimenting. Most of the time were related to epg download failures that hanged the receiver during the scheduled download.
I added to this receiver a Verbatim Store'N Go USB 8Gb pendrive for timeshift, logs, and picons.

DUO B - bought together with Duo A but I attached to it an external USB drive I already owned. It's a Maxtor 150gb in an external USB/firewire cabinet.
Later on I installed a Verbatim Store'N Go USB 16Gb pendrive for timeshift, logs, and picons.
Installed an A867 USB DVB-T tuner.
To be honest I don't remeber when I started to have problem with this one. But as reported in two different threads linked below I had major issues both on Vix 2.4 and 3.0.

DUO C - bought a year later with a Verbatim Store'N Go USB 32Gb pendrive for timeshift, logs, and picons. On this one too was installed another A867 USB DVB-T tuner.

DUO B & DUO C both presented the very same issues:
After few days of smooth use the recievers stopped to update online (both via gui and telnet, if telnet connection was avilable!). Telnet and FTP access were not more available.
Very often I found them with spinning VIX logo and If I switched them off by the rear switch on restart the LCD displayed showed Starting and they were unresponsive to any remote control command.

At first, I tought that the cause was the A867 tuner. Infact the lag before the issue of not beeing able to update online seemed to expand.
But the problem was there.

----------------------------------------
Two weeks ago I bought a new WesternDigital Caviar Blu 500GB, for the DUO C. The issues related to online updates , telnet and FTP disappeared.
So I bought a third hdd, like the obove one,and mounted in the DUO B. And the issues disappeared!

BUT, on al the three DUOs after performing an online update (till now the DUO B & DUO C succesfully performed three online updates) the receivers hanged with the STARTING word displayed on the LCD.
My silly workaround:
I found out that If switched off, removed the USB pendrive (on the back connector), and turned on again everything goes fine.
----------------------------------------
This said I think that something strange happens with external USB storage devices. (All formatted in extfs4 via VIX image and correctly mounted in the blue panel).

Unfortunately I don't have any log from before the hdd installation.
Attached here a zip with four debug log from the same DUO B from 1st jan till now.

P.S.
at this point I'll give another try to A867 DVB tuner.

Here the links describing the issues affecting:
VIX-2-4-v134-not-seeing-updates http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18902-VIX-2-4-v134-not-seeing-updates
Can-t-update-software-on-ViX-3-0-343 http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21851-Can-t-update-software-on-ViX-3-0-343&p=171189&viewfull=1#post171189
major-issues-using-a867-DVB-T-usb-adapter http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23229-major-issues-using-a867-DVB-T-usb-adapter