PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] MKV Playback

afc_rich
04-01-13, 00:17
Hi,

I have a mkv file which will not play on the duo. When I open the file I am presented with a black screen and a movie length of 0. I can play other mkv's fine and this is the only one that I currently have issues with. I can open the file via VLC on the PC so the file itself is not bad.

I am assuming it is a codec issue? Anyone else had this problem or know of a quick win?

Duo
VIX 3.0 545
VIX Night HD Skin

judge
04-01-13, 00:23
No quick fix if the Duo isn't decoding it properly.
Happens on most boxes, some more than others.
Maybe try downloading the same show in a different format.
MP4 should be fine.

afc_rich
04-01-13, 00:26
Thanks for the quick reply. I take it there are no additional codecs that can be installed then? Do you know if this a future possibility if not?

judge
04-01-13, 00:32
Thanks for the quick reply. I take it there are no additional codecs that can be installed then? Do you know if this a future possibility if not?

The Duo plays almost every file I throw at it, some are jerky, some freak out on wind/rewind/number jump, all using latest VIX versions.
I've not had an mkv that has refused to play on it with a default install, so just suggesting you try another format rather than downloading the same mkv again.
I haven't added any codecs to a default install.

afc_rich
04-01-13, 00:47
I throw all sorts of files at it as well mostly without issue. Only problems I have experienced are:

1) MKV file mentioned (Incidently this file fails when streaming to PS3 via PS3 media server as well)
2) Another MKV has lip sync issues (Plays fine through PS3 media server and on PC)
3) WMV's will not play

I will attempt to convert the MKV to MP4 to see if this fixes the issue. Hopefully this won't happen often as the interface to play movies via CIFS on the Duo is nice and slick - plan was to use the duo as my "all-in-one" solution with PS3 media server my backup.

judge
04-01-13, 00:57
I don't use a PS3, so no idea what network/local playback is like on it.
I store most of my downloads on a Duo, files that slightly crap out on the Duo play perfectly on an ET4000 over network, so it gets plugged in for testing & playback of dodgy files.
Not tried converting any dodgy mkv as downloading an mp4 of the same show is just as fast for me & usually works fine on the Duo.

Mavarick
04-01-13, 01:44
Hi,
is the file on a usb or externalHDD?
if so what is the format of the drive , I had something similar and once I had the NTFS plug in it was all go, just a thought

afc_rich
04-01-13, 07:47
All files are hosted on a virtual windows file server (NTFS) and accessed via CIFS.

I will transfer the file to the duo to test this theory, however I do think it is down to the format of the file. I will let you know either way.

Thanks

rimas
04-01-13, 08:05
Look here. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?21497-MKV-playback-problems

DTS-HD and DTS-ES soudtrack is the problem.

Rob van der Does
04-01-13, 08:08
The same questions have been aswered over and over again:
1- The limited CPU capacity of STB's (including the new generation 1.3MHz chip sets) can't possibly do any video-decoding. That means that all video-decoding is done in hardware (look e.g. at the CPU during playback: only 1-5% CPU-usage).
2- That implies that the success of playback fully depends on the codecs used in any file. If they are not 100% compliant with the codecs in the hardware, playback will fail or at least have issues. This is especially the case with MKV's and AVI's 'found' on the internet: hardly any of them is properly coded.
3- The only work-around is e re-encode files you want to playback on an STB. A program like 'Handbreak' is very useful for that (but there are others as well). Transcoding using H264 should be fine for all HD-capable boxes.

rimas
04-01-13, 09:33
ViX 2.4 and OpenPLi 2.1 can handle DTS-HD, ViX 3.0 and OpenPLi 3.0 can't.

afc_rich
04-01-13, 10:36
ViX 2.4 and OpenPLi 2.1 can handle DTS-HD, ViX 3.0 and OpenPLi 3.0 can't.

I believe the soundtrack to the mkv is DTS-HD. I re-encoded the file to mp4 last night and will test when I get home.

I understand that the STB may not have the CPU capacity for decoding all files but is there a reason why the older VIX firmware can handle these files but the newer cannot? As a test I might install VIX 2.4 as suggested in rimas post just to see if it can handle this particular file.

Rob van der Does
04-01-13, 15:08
I understand that the STB may not have the CPU capacity for decoding all files but is there a reason why the older VIX firmware can handle these files but the newer cannot? As a test I might install VIX 2.4 as suggested in rimas post just to see if it can handle this particular file.
That is possible. TS-streams (i.e. recordings made by the box) are being dealt with the hardware only. All other formats need some help of G-streamer: that may make a difference.

BTW: Your box has been flashed before going to build 521 or higher? If not, please do so before testing in this area.

afc_rich
04-01-13, 20:05
I can confirm that the MKV file can play using VIX 2.4 build 96.

The duo was also flashed when moving to 521 as suggested on the forum.

So, question is where do we go from here?

afc_rich
07-01-13, 14:42
That is possible. TS-streams (i.e. recordings made by the box) are being dealt with the hardware only. All other formats need some help of G-streamer: that may make a difference.

Rob, what is G-Streamer? Is it something that has been removed from VIX 3.0? Is it something that I can add?

As the file works under 2.4 it would be good to re-introduce this functionality into a current build.

Thanks

Rob van der Does
07-01-13, 14:47
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Also Gstreamer undergoes updates, and sometimes you run into incompatibilities with other files/drivers.
And reverting to a very old version (like in vix 2.x) introduces many more problems.

afc_rich
07-01-13, 15:14
So in summary this functionality will not be introduced into VIX 3.0?

judge
07-01-13, 15:16
MKVs working fine here, maybe try and re-encode the ones you are having problems with?

afc_rich
07-01-13, 15:35
MKVs working fine here, maybe try and re-encode the ones you are having problems with?

It's not a problem with MKV's as a whole. It seems to be an issue with video files containing certain soundtracks (i.e DTS-HD). I have tried to re-encode the mkv without success - The output files audio is out of sync by about a minute :confused:

The audio track on the original file is shorter than the length of the video, however the audio doesn't kick in until a minute has passed and lip sync is perfect. Maybe the encoders I'm using can't handle the audio delay?