PDA

View Full Version : Access HDD from second VU+ Box

ptoni
02-01-13, 18:11
I am trying to access the HDD recordings for my VU Duo from a second Vu+ Box. I have reviewed the forum and attempted but cannot get this to work.

What I have done is : ….Set up/ Network/Mount set up/Network browser/ ---- selected VU duoplus ---Mount Management (green button). Mount viewer shows export HDD enabled (but “x” in picture).

What is missing or what have I done wrong?

Is there a tutorial or guide how to access HDD recordings from VU+ to another

Stanman
02-01-13, 19:30
Make sure you go into networks and install both Samba and NFS on both boxes.

You than need to mount it as NFS on the box you want to watch recordings on.

Rob van der Does
03-01-13, 09:06
In fact only NFS is needed for a mount between two boxes, as that is the preferred method.
It is indeed possible to use cifs-mounts (requiring Samba to be installed) but as that is the Winows-way I would only use that when actually needed (i.e. connecting to/from a Windows-platform).

Be aware, as Stanman said, to install NFS on both boxes.

ptoni
03-01-13, 12:48
In fact only NFS is needed for a mount between two boxes, as that is the preferred method.
It is indeed possible to use cifs-mounts (requiring Samba to be installed) but as that is the Winows-way I would only use that when actually needed (i.e. connecting to/from a Windows-platform).

Be aware, as Stanman said, to install NFS on both boxes.

Thanks. I have this working now but I also installed Samba. How do I uninstall Samba as my flash Memory useage has incresed by installing both NFS and Samba.

Also, I have tried the "move" function (green button) to move recordings from one HDD to the second box's HDD. This did not work. Do I need to enable something in order to move recordings from one HDD to another?

Rob van der Does
03-01-13, 13:08
De-installing Samba: go to Samba and choose 'delete service' (or similar).

The 'move' function should work 'out of the box'. Just tried it here and it worked fine.

Del Boy
04-01-13, 00:33
Trying similar but hanging on network browse and has to reboot

Del Boy
04-01-13, 00:34
Thinking hard wire instead of relying on wifi dongle?

fredphoesh
14-07-18, 14:25
Hello peeps,
I am trying, not succeeding, to figure out how to access my HDD from a second box.

I have
- installed NFS on both boxes, and it is active.
- run rebooted both boxes and run network browser many times, but only see my PC and router, but never the VU boxes from each other.
- tried to set up manually by adding an IP address of my HDD box to the one without the HDD, but when I try to access it from the remote button to access recorded media and choose Yellow - Location, it gives me an error, that the location is not available.

is there some basic thing I am missing?
Thanks,
Mark.

bellejt
14-07-18, 14:39
are your boxes in same workgroup and Ip range ?

fredphoesh
14-07-18, 15:01
are your boxes in same workgroup and Ip range ?

Hi, Yes,
192.168.1.187 and .76, both connected to the same wired network.
I can access both fine by ftp.
tx
Mark

bellejt
14-07-18, 15:07
both boxes same gateway ? GW=ipaddress router and DNS also

PS: mask : 255.255.255.0 ?

fredphoesh
14-07-18, 15:29
both boxes same gateway ? GW=ipaddress router and DNS also

PS: mask : 255.255.255.0 ?

Hi
I don't know, is that in the advanced settings? I will look once the tennis/football are done,
They were both just plugged into the network... so should be identical?
Thanks
Mark.

bellejt
14-07-18, 15:45
quote : They were both just plugged into the network.

So probably DHCP settings.Change it to fixed ip's.

cactikid
14-07-18, 21:01
run samba instead as that works for me with all 5 on network.

vartaxe
07-12-20, 16:19
hi,

im having a difficult time here with my boxes. added a hdd to my receiver and works fine locally i can record and watch recordings... now i wanted to be able to use the same hdd remotely on another box and also maybe record to the same folder that the other box is recording to so we can have access to any recording on any receiver as if it was locally. mounted in nfs an everything is green and ok but cant get it to work... i mean the folder seems to be empty and also when trying to record something it will say there is no hdd device mounted... what am i missing? is there detailed tutorial somewhere? thanks for helping

Huevos
07-12-20, 16:34
Have you set up an NFS mount yet.