PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo boot failure on fresh install

nibblet
31-12-12, 03:20
Hi,

I had my Vu+ Duo setup with VIX image 3.0.516. Everything was working fine until the other day when I switch my TV on and box had frozen. Did a reboot. Got nothing. Just kept loading.

I tried to flash the box to the same image hoping to restore my settings from a backup. On first boot, hoping to see the setup wizard, I could only see a spinning VIX logo and a blue welcome screen. The display panel shows message "VU+ DUO". I have done multiple installs of the latest VIX images, but each time I can't seem to get anything more than a spinning VIX logo and blue VIX screen.

I can however connect via telnet.

I have tried using different USB keys, formatted using different format tools, different laptop, tried both old and new versions of VIX and Blackhole image, reloaded the bootloader, tried loading images with ethernet hdmi hdd disconnected, switch from front to rear USB ports. Still no luck, just get as far as welcome screen.

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

Nibblet.

Rob van der Does
31-12-12, 03:47
First of all, I would use the latest image to flash (539), not an old one.

If this happens again, and you can telnet to the box:
1- does 'top' show any process that uses much CPU? If so: which one? End 'top' with 'contr c'
2- really the best way would be to create a bootlog (via RS232 and 'Putty' or so).

nibblet
31-12-12, 04:29
Hi Rob,

Using build 539, still getting same result with spinning logo. "top" command in telnet shows enigma2 using 1% CPU usage, with all other processes being 0%. I will create a bootlog and post here.

Thanks,

Nibblet

Sicilian
31-12-12, 06:41
If you have a HDD and Ethernet connected, disconnect them both and try booting again.

pooface
31-12-12, 07:28
Other thing to try, is to leave it running with spinning logos for a couple of hours. Read a few reports of users having similar problems, and has either been a network issue (have you changed router recently?), or HDD issue, where it is scanning the HDD as thinks there could be a problem...

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
31-12-12, 08:28
Other thing to try, is to leave it running with spinning logos for a couple of hours. Read a few reports of users having similar problems, and has either been a network issue (have you changed router recently?), or HDD issue, where it is scanning the HDD as thinks there could be a problem...
Correct, and that's where a bootlog comes in handy.

nibblet
05-01-13, 17:13
Hi Guys,

I have done a boot log and attached it below. No ethernet, usb or hdd devices were connected.

Thanks for the help so far.

Nibblet

nibblet
06-01-13, 17:50
Any help guys?

Alec
06-01-13, 18:57
Any help guys?
I had this many moons ago and I use a program called putty

1) run putty with these settings (115200,8,n,1) and connect a nullmodem cable to your vu+, then start your VU+
2) give this command to the console and press enter:
boot -z -elf flash0.kernel: 'rootfstype=jffs2 root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw mem=0x8000000 bcmrac=3`
3) after this your box should boot from flash
4) open a telnet session and enter this command:
flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5
5) reboot your box

After step 2 the box loaded, I just reset and it worked ok

nibblet
06-01-13, 20:07
Hi Alec,

At which point after step 1 does step 2 begin. Do I have to interrupt the boot log or at the end. I have entered step 2 after the bootlog has complete, hit enter, but nothing happens, the cursor just moves onto the next line.

Thanks,

Nibblet

Alec
07-01-13, 11:07
Hi Alec,

At which point after step 1 does step 2 begin. Do I have to interrupt the boot log or at the end. I have entered step 2 after the bootlog has complete, hit enter, but nothing happens, the cursor just moves onto the next line.

Thanks, I had to enter it about 3 times in step 1, and the numbers on the screen started to move , after about 5 minutes, and it then loaded

Nibblet

I had to enter it about 3 times in step 1, and the numbers on the screen started to move after about 5 minutes, and it then loaded ok