PDA

View Full Version : Starting with a Vu+Duo....

GiP
20-09-10, 18:28
Hi,

This is my first post , I just joined because my new VU+Duo will be here tomorrow and I'd like to know what to do with it from the start. I have been browsing around for a few days and it seems thare are a lot of knowledgable and friendly users so I hope you can help me.

For now what I need is to use the SKY Italy end SRG (Swiss) cards, everything else is icing...
I decided to use the VIX image so I downloaded it, and I'll have it on a USB stick. I have read what to do and it seems simple. I also found settings for my set-up (13 + 19.2) modified them to my liking with DreamBoxEdit and I'll transfer them. Now what? what else is needed to have a working STB for what I need. I read several threads and there are a lot of info on how to do something but rarely on "why" to do that, for example: CCcam I have read how to install it but not what it is for. Do I need it just to read cards? And the same for most of the other add-ons. Is there a place where I can find a guide or a tutorial about this?

As I have been using linux daily for the last 15 years or so I don't expect problems in understanding the filesystem or the editor or anything like that, but the specifics of a linux decoder seem to be quite different.

Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GiP

SLOTH
20-09-10, 19:44
Hi mate
:welcome: to the forum ...
the box is well simple to get up an running ...but i think it will be far easier to solve any issues you have when its in front of you ......
just get it up and running an then just ask away ...if your cards are gen you should have no problems at all
Enjoy
Sloth :D

GiP
21-09-10, 14:01
Hi Sloth,

I got the box, and as you said it was simple in 10 min I set it up with VIX downloaded the sttings and had my first crash! The crash happened looking at the end of the "HELP" list, I don't know if it is a known bug or it just happend by chance.

Anyway, first problems:
I loaded the CCcam and it seems to read the SRG card but not the SKY Italy one(NDS). I have read somewhere about a CCcam.cfg but can't find anywhere what should be in it and if it's needed. After that I tried to download the other version of CCcam+oscam ( I have NO idea what that means) but it failed. How do I remove the first one?

Coming from a non Linux box I have to admit that the VD is very different but connecting through SSH and using vi on my box is really cool! On the other hand it doesn't seem to support scp! I have a ssh/scp prog on my PC but never used FTP, is this necessary? I can use an USB key and cp files from /media/hdd in a shell anyway....

Thanks for the reply!

GiP

pooface
21-09-10, 14:31
Hi Sloth,

I got the box, and as you said it was simple in 10 min I set it up with VIX downloaded the sttings and had my first crash! The crash happened looking at the end of the "HELP" list, I don't know if it is a known bug or it just happend by chance.

Anyway, first problems:
I loaded the CCcam and it seems to read the SRG card but not the SKY Italy one(NDS). I have read somewhere about a CCcam.cfg but can't find anywhere what should be in it and if it's needed. After that I tried to download the other version of CCcam+oscam ( I have NO idea what that means) but it failed. How do I remove the first one?

Coming from a non Linux box I have to admit that the VD is very different but connecting through SSH and using vi on my box is really cool! On the other hand it doesn't seem to support scp! I have a ssh/scp prog on my PC but never used FTP, is this necessary? I can use an USB key and cp files from /media/hdd in a shell anyway....

Thanks for the reply!

GiP

GiP. To read the sky italia card, you will need the cccam/oscam. However, there are no configs to get you up and running with oscam, so you will need to find the configs manually, and add them to /etc/tuxbox/config. This will allow you to read the card in oscam, and then export it to cccam...

To remove the first one, in the plugins list, there should be an uninstall or remove plugins. Can't remember exactly where, or what it's called off top of my head, but you should find it easily enough :)

GiP
21-09-10, 15:44
GiP. To read the sky italia card, you will need the cccam/oscam. However, there are no configs to get you up and running with oscam, so you will need to find the configs manually, and add them to /etc/tuxbox/config. This will allow you to read the card in oscam, and then export it to cccam...

Hi,

For some reason now it seems to work! Maybe the first time I didn't push the card all the way in....
I was able to load SKY-I EPG but couldn't find The Swiss SRG one. As my old STBs were able to get the 7 day EPG without any problem I didn't expect that to be difficult but it seems VD works in a different way...
Next stop will be to install an HD and look around a lot ( there is a surprise behind every menu...).
Is there somewhere a Guide to VIX ( or enigma or whatever), at this point I don't even know enough to ask the right questions...

The only down side up to now is that it doesn't use "bash" or "vim" I have lot of macros in my linux box that I'd like to use here too.

Ciao,
GiP

soulmate
23-09-10, 14:22
For some reason now it seems to work!
Are you sure? Is it done via CCcam? If so, type that into your webbwroser: "receiverip:16001" (e.g. 192.168.1.10) and check entitlements...

GiP
23-09-10, 16:48
Are you sure? Is it done via CCcam? If so, type that into your webbwroser: "receiverip:16001" (e.g. 192.168.1.10) and check entitlements...
it says:

card reader /dev/sci0
handled 8(8) ecms and 0(0) emms
Nds card d5b6a9

Entitlement info
1939 37-10-2010
0219 21-11-2010
0222 21-11-2010
0226 21-11-2010
0228 21-11-2010
022e 21-11-2010
02aa 21-11-2010
02fe 21-11-2010

It takes a few seconds to decode the first time (20-30 sec) but after that it's working. It shouldn't?
By the way where should I put the other files for CCcam (CCcam.cfg Softcam.key and constant.cw) I saw them somewhere but I have no idea what are they for or where should they be copied to..

GiP

grtmoby
23-09-10, 17:01
should go into keys folder

GiP
23-09-10, 17:46
should go into keys folder

I did a "find / -iname keys" and found nothing... where exactly, and do I need them?

By the way , I am having a lot of trouble connecting to the forum recently(Server taking too long to respond), are there problems ?

GiP

soulmate
23-09-10, 18:11
edit the serial of your nds card mate...I didn't know cccam actually reads the card...and about the viaccess card? Did you include the second reader in the config?

SERIAL READER: /dev/sci1

CCcam.cfg, CCcam.channelinfo, CCcam.providers and CCcam.prio (not needed imho) must be in /etc
All the other stuff - and I guess we're in a grey zone then - are in var/keys -> this folder must be manually created...BUT is not neeeded for viewing your subscription cards.

GiP
23-09-10, 18:25
edit the serial of your nds card mate...I didn't know cccam actually reads the card...and about the viaccess card? Did you include the second reader in the config?

SERIAL READER: /dev/sci1

I don't know what that is... The "Nds card d5...."? And Why?
And I don't think I have a config; this is the standard install from the download interface. As I said above I have a CCcam.cfg but it's not in the right place. At the moment of the snapshot the second card wasn't in but it worked before.

GiP

soulmate
23-09-10, 18:31
I meant to edit that Serial when posting it Forums. Attach the CCcam.cfg file here and I'll have a Look...

GiP
23-09-10, 20:58
I meant to edit that Serial when posting it Forums. Attach the CCcam.cfg file here and I'll have a Look...
the CCcam.cfg is :
SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci0 4000000
SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci1 4000000
#SHOW TIMING : yes
B: /dev/sci0 00
B: /dev/sci1 00

I don'think there is anything important and as I said probably is not in the right place.
I still don't know what is the "serial" and why it should be hidden, but if it is so I should edit my message, but I don't know how (no "edit" button).
Thanks for the other info...

GiP

soulmate
24-09-10, 06:29
the nds serial is the unique serial of your card. Sky has in some cases stopped people's subscriptions as they found they were using their cards for purposes and in ways other than those sky set up. And one of these ways is using your official subscription card in your vu+ duo. I too have the problem that I can edit my posts only within a certain time span.

So the other card (viaccess) is not working at all you say?

Sicilian
24-09-10, 06:42
@ GiP, for your Sly IT card to work correctly and receiver updates you will need to use oscam/mgamd or oscam/cccam. Tbh I'n not 100% sure which combination will keep your rights updated. Oscam alone might keep your card updated.

GiP
24-09-10, 10:47
the nds serial is the unique serial of your card. Sky has in some cases stopped people's subscriptions as they found they were using their cards for purposes and in ways other than those sky set up. And one of these ways is using your official subscription card in your vu+ duo. I too have the problem that I can edit my posts only within a certain time span.

Ah, thanks. I hope it won't be a problem.

So the other card (viaccess) is not working at all you say?
No, What I said was that the card wasn't in the slot when I took the data you asked for from the decoder, but it worked before when I tried.

GiP

GiP
24-09-10, 10:55
@ GiP, for your Sly IT card to work correctly and receiver updates you will need to use oscam/mgamd or oscam/cccam. Tbh I'n not 100% sure which combination will keep your rights updated. Oscam alone might keep your card updated.
OK, thanks. The updates are not a problem as that card is used part of the time in a SkyBox. Is there a reason to chose between cccam and mgamd. I tried to find info around but it's really hard, there are tons of info on "how" to do things but very little on "why".
A "Beginners Guide to Linux decoders" with the "Things You Need to Know" ( and possibly the "Things You Need to Know but shouldn't ask about") and maybe "Things You Don't Need to Know but should anyway" would be very welcome...

GiP

soulmate
24-09-10, 11:03
so you are set up& running, aren't you?
Consider what Sicilian said about rights update. I am not sure if cccam will update them. However, if the cards are working now I wouldn't touch anything and just find out if it updates or not. At least your sky card will work until 21/11.
You might want to check in your config if you find the following entry to make sure the update feature is not turned off (but still no guarantee the cards will get updates).

# disable all local EMM readers
# saves lots of CPU, but you won't get any updates anymore
# (unless you get updates from your clients)
#
# default: no
#
DISABLE EMM : no

GiP
24-09-10, 11:28
so you are set up& running, aren't you?

Well, I am still confused about a lot of things, but the important things is the cards work.
About the "DISABLE EMM : no": Updating the NDS card is not a problem (as I wrote to Sic.) but the SRG card needs it; is it possible to activate that on a per-slot basis? If it really saves CPU and I suppose also prevents other things to happen keeping it disabled could be useful. On the other hand I still have a Viacces Red CAM that I can use for the SRG. Is it worth it?

GiP

soulmate
24-09-10, 11:34
I would not recommend disabling it while your subscription card is valid. The Vu+ Duo should handle that extra cpu usage but you might want to find out yourself and tell us.
Try to update your srg card by tuning on a srg channel. It should clear after a while. Check the entitlenments in your web browser,too.