PDA

View Full Version : New Mobile Phone... Windows mobile -> android!?

pooface
20-09-10, 13:11
Hi guys.

My phone that I was using until recently was a HTC Touch Pro 2, which is a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, with a slide out QWERTY keyboard. Very nice phone, and really enjoyed using it.

Anyway, I dropped the phone, accidently stood on it slightly, and caused a crack in the screen. Was working perfectly well, but I have a mobile phone insurance through my bank account, and after getting quotes to get it repaired costing in excess of £60, I thought I may as well use the insurance, as I only have an excess of £25 to pay on that...

Anyway, they accepted the claim, took the phone in, and then a few weeks later (i.e. last week), I get a voicemail to call back. Anyway, short version, they say it's beyond economical repair (how, it costs over £300 for a new one, and the repair is below £100?!), but they don't have any of that model in to replace it. So, I told them that I wanted that phone, end of. They said they will pass it on to another department to see if they will be able to find it, if not, they will call back to discuss another model/upgrade.

Now, looking around, I really want another phone with the QWERTY keyboard. There aren't many of them around, most of them being a blackberry style keyboard (where the screen is therefore not touch screen and/or tiny). Anyway, after looking, I noticed that HTC are releasing the HTC Desire Z on 4th October. This seems to be quite a nice phone with the keyboard, but is android based.

Now, I'm not all too fussed about it being android, as looking in to it, it looks quite nice. One thing that I am worried about tho, is how it combines in with features I need. Anyway, wondering, if my phone is unable to be sourced, do I try and push to get one of these?! Will they likely say that they can't source one of these either (dunno why they can't source a TP2, as I've seen them for sale on many websites)?

Also, would I likely be enjoying a conversion to android? Can I easily transfer my contacts, my text messages, how well does android cope with exchange server email? Is it good at imap mail?

Would appreciate some insight and people's thoughts on this OS, especially from people who have moved from Windows Mobile...

And, should I push my insurer for this phone if they say that they can't get a TP2? Anyone dealt with mobile phone insurance in these situations. They said they'll call me back, likely within 5 days, so should be before next Friday...

THanks again :)

pooface
29-09-10, 11:31
No responses?! :( lol

Anyway, here's a post I made over on other forum to the same post above...

I got a call from insurance, they are going to give me a cash settlement of £349.99, which I've accepted, as all prices for the TP2 are around this price...

Right, so now I'm looking at either staying with the TP2, or putting some cash towards it and getting the Milestone or Desire Z. How easy is it to get up to speed with android when being so used to wm6.5?

On the subject of being 6.5, I used to use my work exchange server to download emails, and my own server for imap emails. I saw something about all emails being put together with the Desire Z. Was wondering whether it would always be like that, or would I be able to seperate if I chose to (as I would want to seperate :p). Also, does android handle exchange email? Does it do push email so that I would receive email as and when it was sent?

Also, would I be able to retrieve my contacts (which were all backed up to the exchange server), rather than having to re-add them? On the point of this, I took a backup of my old TP2 using spb backup, thinking I'd restore it when I got the phone back. Is there any way to use this backup, to restore the text messages back on to the phone?! Or will I not be able to restore text messages?!

On to a Desire Z vs Milestone 2 vs TP2... I quite liked the keyboard on the TP2, and noticed that the other 2 are a bit different. Am a little more leaning to the Desire Z on this, as I had the HTC phone before, and assume that I'd prolly prefer another HTC keyboard (prolly a silly blind assumption, which is why I'm writing it if anyone could advise?!)... Another plus for the Desire Z was that I'm quite used to the Sense UI, so am guessing that I would prolly prefer that to a complete change?!

One of the plus's of the Milestone 2 is that it is Android 3 compatible apparantly (because of snapdragon processor), whereas the Desire Z's 800mhz processor won't be compatible apparantly?! However, will this make much a difference?! I'd heard that motorola weren't really wanting to release 2.2 for the original Milestone, so, are they likely to bother with Android 3 when released?! Will it be worth wanting to upgrade to android 3 anyway (apart from a "I have the latest version" point of view :p)?

I quite like the idea of an android, but just wanna check that what I want will work on it. I've seen that I can get different satnav (think copilot was meant to be one of the best for android, could be wrong, hopefully tomtom will hurry up and get itself in gear and release it for the android!!). How about mobile ftp software?! I had one on my windows mobile which was useful. Also, is there a telnet client for android?! I've seen there are a few backup solutions, so that should all be good...

Think they are the main requirements I had. Would be very thankful for all input received :)

redbull301
29-09-10, 12:51
hi,

have a Milestone since beginning of the year....
for nav I am using copilot live 8 ....... tried serveral others, but I am using europe and USA maps and can only switch
inside the soft to the other map. think copilot live is the best for the milestone

for ftp client have a look >>here>> (http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/market/apps/app/lysesoft.andftp/AndFTP)

I am not using email with a exchange server ( updating direktly from a address on one of my servers) , but it works. to syncon contacts you have to use a exchange server or google account

regards

pooface
04-10-10, 11:38
Thanks for the reply redbull301... Have decided I'm gonna go with the desire z. Think it'll suit me better, and the only downside I was thinking (of no upgrade to 3.0 if possible), seems to not be a worry, as the 1ghz rumour was just a rumour... Anyway, the Desire Z's processor is meant to be just as good as a 1ghz virtually, but because the graphics is apparantly 5x better, it more than makes up for it...

Only downside at the mo, seems to be that they've pushed the release date for the desire z back to the end of the month apparantly :( Hopefully it isn't true, but guess we'll see...