PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a lock

drzaphod
25-12-12, 20:34
Hi,

I am trying to install my new VU+ Solo2 but I can't get it to lock on the satellites here in Sweden. The signal is constantly fluctuating between 0 and 99 so no lock. Both my Dreambox and ClarkeTech has no problem getting a good signal lock. Could this be a driver problem?

Any sugestions to how to solve this. Running the Black Hole v3.

Larry-G
25-12-12, 20:38
Which satellite is this happening with ?.

basilyoung
25-12-12, 20:51
I take it you are using the coax cables from your other units??

drzaphod
25-12-12, 23:17
It is the Sirius 4,8E and Thor 0,8W here in Sweden. And yes, I am using the same coax as I use for my other receivers.

Larry-G
25-12-12, 23:47
unfortunately i have never used one of these dual Vu tuners so i have no idea as to their sensitivity, but i know of 4 of the team who have had one or more of them for a number of months now with no reported problems.

hopefully one of them may see this thread and be able to help you more than i can.

Rob van der Does
26-12-12, 07:11
The signal is constantly fluctuating between 0 and 99 so no lock.
Is it signal strength (AGC) or signal quality (SNR) you're talking about?
What is your tuner setup?

Anyway: such fluctuations are usually an indication of bad contacts (a loose F-connector? a shortcut between inner and outer cable? water in a connection?) or a bad LNB.
You could try scanning a dedicated 'quadrant' (i.e. High/Low-Horizontal/Vertical) as a LNB can also be partly defect.

The sensitivity of the tuners of the Solo2 is comparable to those of the UNO/Ultimo.

drzaphod
26-12-12, 12:09
Thanks Rob,

I'll check everything again and se what is wrong. The strange thing is that when the same cable goes into the DB or ClearkTech it is a stable signal, no fluctuation at all.

I'll verify my setup and see if I have missed anything.

Rob van der Does
26-12-12, 12:47
The strange thing is that when the same cable goes into the DB or ClearkTech it is a stable signal, no fluctuation at all.
Is it one cable or two? Makes any difference if you swap the cable between Tuner A & B? Is the problem there for all channels or only specific ones?

drzaphod
26-12-12, 21:33
Is it one cable or two? Makes any difference if you swap the cable between Tuner A & B? Is the problem there for all channels or only specific ones?

It does not matter if I connect one or two cables, same issue. It seems to be on all channels and I can not make a new search ether as the same receivers do not get a luck. But I will try later when the family don't want to watch TV and I have it to my self. :)

Rob van der Does
27-12-12, 05:38
It does not matter if I connect one or two cables, same issue. It seems to be on all channels and I can not make a new search ether as the same receivers do not get a luck.
Hmmmm, then the only thing I still can suggest is to double check the tuner-configuration.

Delagroov
27-12-12, 09:11
Are you using a channelist you uploaded?

What is your channel setup?
Try a manual transponder scan with exact values, you know off its working to get a lock
You can check King of Sat for transponders for Sweden
http://se.kingofsat.net/
For Solo2 the exact FEC value is imortant to get signal

What happens if you do scan with Search network=yes

Does it find a transponder where it locks?

drzaphod
28-12-12, 01:25
Thanks for all your help.

Solved the problem today and it was all my fault. Made the error of reading wrong on the box and connected one antenna to Coax 2 instead of 1 (Wanted to test first before committing) and then tried to scan coax 1. My bad, so ashamed.

Thanks again all! And I wish you all a Happy New Year!

panda23
28-12-12, 19:11

Solved the problem today and it was all my fault. Made the error of reading wrong on the box and connected one antenna to Coax 2 instead of 1 (Wanted to test first before committing) and then tried to scan coax 1. My bad, so ashamed.

Thanks for updating the thread with this info, a lot of people would not have admitted their mistake. All the best :thumbsup:

Tkr001
29-12-12, 04:36

Hey something like this has happened to us all at some time or another :) Thanks for posting what the problem was.

drzaphod
29-12-12, 15:15
Well, everything works perfectly now and I appreciate all the help and suggestions that was offered.

Now I am going to install the VXI image instead of Black Hole and get back to normal. :)

Happy New Year everyone!