PDA

View Full Version : Vu+solo2 vs Gigablue quad

warajoker
23-12-12, 14:18
i currenlty have the gigablue quad atm and was thinking about getting the solo 2 aswell but is there any difference between the 2 except the 4 tuners on the quad and the 2 tuners on the solo. is there anything the solo2 can do that the quad cant?

Stanman
23-12-12, 14:25
The Solo can do transcoding but not the quad, don't know if it will in the future but Rob is clued up and may be able to answer this.

In terms of value imho its the quad all the way.

bluepeter
23-12-12, 15:19
Gb Ethernet

Stanman
23-12-12, 17:11
Gb Ethernet

At the moment but lots of net chatter to say it will be implemented in the very near future - how, I do not have the foggiest

warajoker
23-12-12, 19:08
hbbtv and gb ethernet are advertised on the box and website. they have to sort this out. false advertising is not allowed
At the moment but lots of net chatter to say it will be implemented in the very near future - how, I do not have the foggiest

JanHJ
23-12-12, 20:57
It has Gigabit ethernet and HBBTV works too.

I have a box.

warajoker
23-12-12, 22:32
im ona bout the quad mate
It has Gigabit ethernet and HBBTV works too.

I have a box.

JanHJ
23-12-12, 23:00
Ok! Sorry about that.

im ona bout the quad mate

Rob van der Does
24-12-12, 04:36
Both have the same soc.
For the Solo2 transcoding for mobile device is available (yet in beta state); HbbTV and Gb-LAN are actually working.
The Quad can handle 4 plugable tuners (not all available yet), the Solo2 has 2 fixed tuners.
For the Quad ViX is available, for the Solo2 not (yet???).

warajoker
24-12-12, 20:26
is it possible for the quad to ever have this transcoding feature ,gb ethernet and hbbtv etc . (not that i mind as the box does everything i need it to do but just wondering as it would be nice to know?
Both have the same soc.
For the Solo2 transcoding for mobile device is available (yet in beta state); HbbTV and Gb-LAN are actually working.
The Quad can handle 4 plugable tuners (not all available yet), the Solo2 has 2 fixed tuners.
For the Quad ViX is available, for the Solo2 not (yet???).

Trial
24-12-12, 20:51
Hi warajoker,
the best address for these questions would be GigaBlue.
HBBTV and GB-LAN were promised so I hope they come. There are rumors that the solo2 uses a separate ethernet chip but I cannot confirm it. Transcoding might be in the BCM chip but it also might be a paid feature which must be paid by the manufacturer so that the SDK/driver contains this feature. All questions only GigaBlue can answer.

ciao

warajoker
24-12-12, 20:54
Thanks but ill just be paitent and see what comes in the future. as i dont have a clue what this hbbtv/gb ethernet is anyway lool ive just seen a load of ranting about it
Hi warajoker,
the best address for these questions would be GigaBlue.
HBBTV and GB-LAN were promised so I hope they come. There are rumors that the solo2 uses a separate ethernet chip but I cannot confirm it. Transcoding might be in the BCM chip but it also might be a paid feature which must be paid by the manufacturer so that the SDK/driver contains this feature. All questions only GigaBlue can answer.

ciao

Trial
24-12-12, 21:14
Hi warajoker,
I think when your not german speaking HBBTV is not of great interest for you. GBit-Lan is only of interest if you copy losts of data to and from the box. Transcoding is only of interst if you want to watch TV on your phone/tab in LAN or WAN (internet f.i. your office:-)).

ciao

warajoker
24-12-12, 21:17
i suppose the gb ethernet would be good to transfer over 800gb of recordings lol and the transcoding would be good to watch the football at work

Trial
24-12-12, 21:28
hi,
what is your boss saying if you watch football Art work?;)

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

warajoker
24-12-12, 23:02
lol i run my own shop

hi,
what is your boss saying if you watch football Art work?;)

ciao

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
25-12-12, 03:37
I think when your not german speaking HBBTV is not of great interest for you.
Well, it is for Dutch & French speaking users as well.

warajoker
27-12-12, 21:49
bump////////////

Godanapo
27-12-12, 22:19
bump////////////

What you want my friend??...

75mak
29-12-12, 23:41
solo2 does more out of the box than quad. Quad doesn't do gigabit ethernet nor transcoding beta or not. I think it shows the Solo2 should have more support from VU+ with drivers etc than quad. The progress they have already is something significant compared to quad - for the end user anyway, developers for images might not agree.

The only way quad looks it may trump the Solo2 is in the number of tuners and types it can do. Obviously for the plug in sat tuners we have to wait and by that time Duo2 might be around, which may be more expensive but judging by the solo2 will be a beast.

Turbo
31-12-12, 00:08
Probably not a major difference compared with the differences already mentioned but the Solo2 has a 12 character VFD display (which I don't believe supports picons) and the Quad has a colour LCD display.

warajoker
31-12-12, 19:07
so to sum it all up. i wont lose anything buy selling the quad and buying the solo2 as what ever plugin/feature is made in the future for the quad the solo2 should handle aswell as they both are using a 1.3ghz processor and are both using the same Broadcom chipset. from what ive read apart from losing the option of 4 tuners (i only need 2 for 28.2e) im gaining features such as transcoding and gb Ethernet. (the quad should be capable of gb ethernet soon aswell. as they are using the same chipset) and is there anything else that im missing.

Turbo
01-01-13, 14:03
With the quad you could get the cable/terrestrial plugin tuner and use either freeview or virgin and then get all the pvr, etc from that through the receiver.

Rob van der Does
03-01-13, 07:02
With the quad you could get the cable/terrestrial plugin tuner and use either freeview or virgin and then get all the pvr, etc from that through the receiver.
True, but you can add USB tuners to the Solo2. For the user it makes no difference if a tuner is built-in or external (once set up).