PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding second sat box please

bigbaz
21-12-12, 15:27
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a second HD box for a bedroom and I am hoping for somebody's expertise and advice regarding this please..

I have currently a VU+ DUO Enigma 2 receiver with the latest VIX software in my living room, and is networked and working beautifully and I ideally would like the second box in the bedroom to be able to view and play back the recordings stored on the VU DUO+ Hdd, if this would be possible?

If this is possible, what receiver would I need to purchase in order to obtain the required result? "Note: there is only one LNB cable feed in the bedroom"

Secondly my router ports are all occupied and I am also looking to purchase a very good networking port switch hub, any advice regarding which one to purchase would be greatly appreciated also.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Baz.

judge
21-12-12, 15:33
Easily done & just because youonly have 1 feed in the bedroom shouldn't put you off getting a twin tuner box & using loopthrough.
Lots of options at the moment, the TMT2 is perfect for this, along with another duo, solo, T2 and so on...
Depends on budget really.

bigbaz
21-12-12, 15:54
Thanks judge, my budget is low on this occasion. I should have mentioned that in my previous post, "my bad". What is a loopthrough? and how would I get it to work on a solo for example? I am a noob when it comes to this, apologies if it's a daft question.

judge
21-12-12, 15:56
loopthrough won't work on a single tuner, it's for dual tuners with only access to one feed.
it just gives you extra recording/viewing options when the tuner is being used.

bigbaz
21-12-12, 16:04
Ah I see, thanks for explaining that. Looks like a TMT2 so with the loopthrough option for me. :thumbsup:

markus625
21-12-12, 16:20
Ive ordered a Raspberry pie from http://thepihut.com/ for about £36 with Openelec XBMC running on it you can stream channels from your receiver via a VU+ client and also access all your recordings all in a size of a credit card.

bigbaz
21-12-12, 18:15
Nice one markus625.. I have decided to go with another VU+Duo as it is a unit I am getting more familiar with and as soon as I get my paycheck next Thursday, World of Satellite will be getting a few quid from me, and me neighbour too, as she wants to purchase one as well.

Happy Christmas & Happy New Year to you all.

markus625
21-12-12, 18:24
I have a VU DUO myself and i cant recommend them highly enough, AAA+

bigbaz
21-12-12, 18:46
Sweet :cool:

tonyvix
21-12-12, 19:09
loopthrough won't work on a single tuner, it's for dual tuners with only access to one feed.
it just gives you extra recording/viewing options when the tuner is being used.

Hi Judge,

If you get a minute could you expand on this a wee bit.

Thanks

Rob van der Does
21-12-12, 19:26
I would use the cheapest (second hand??) available ViX-running box and only use a network connection. Even the tuner may be defect.
Use for Live-TV and viewing recordings from the server box.

bigbaz
21-12-12, 20:33
I would use the cheapest (second hand??) available ViX-running box and only use a network connection. Even the tuner may be defect.
Use for Live-TV and viewing recordings from the server box.

Sounds good to me :D I'm gonna grab me another VU+Duo though, just because I am getting familiar of how it operates and to be honest they really are an awesome piece kit.