PDA

View Full Version : ViX image for Solo2?

danivtec
17-12-12, 15:08
Should be getting my solo 2 this week and was wondering if anyone knows when the ViX image will be released?

andyblac
17-12-12, 15:18
sorry, but not at this time. Vu+ need to full-fill there promises, before any more new Vu+ machine images will be released.

danivtec
17-12-12, 17:04
Thats a shame Andy, really love ViX. Hopefully in the very near future Vu+ will deliver.

andyblac
17-12-12, 20:19
just so you know the issues are not with the box, i have vix running on solo2, but Vu+ keep breaking their promises in regarding support. (i even told them i did not want a solo2 to test on, but they sent one anyway, in the hopes i would just bow down and release an image.). so unless they start acting like a proper company, i will not be adding new machines.

danivtec
17-12-12, 20:30
Andy

Thanks for the explanation. I hope vu+ see sense and make an effort to make amends.

bokkie
17-12-12, 23:13
I hope the issues can be resolved, I don't think the solo2 would be the same without a vix image to go with it.

millfieldlad
18-12-12, 01:51
I personally don't think VU will hit there targets with the new 2`s.. there are a lot of people including myself that run Vix on there Vu machines and love it.. IMO , no Vix image for solo2 then no sale , lots of boxes sitting on the shelf.. Bad move VU, go to dragons den and get some commercial help ..lol

judge
18-12-12, 02:08
Personally & yes, I'm being biased here as a VIX beta tester, but I wouldn't buy a box that didn't have a VIX image.
Hope they get their issues sorted soon as I'd love one of these boxes...

bokkie
18-12-12, 09:06
What are the issues anyway? Not having a vix image wouldn't stop me from buying the box, but I would much prefer running vix to any other image. Are these issues likely to be resolved?

75mak
18-12-12, 10:30
vix image is nice, but not a deal breaker imo.

the solo2 has some fantastic spec, so should be a good run on any half decent image.

what promises have they failed to live up to regarding support? they havn't provided many drivers updates for past machines even the duo.

millfieldlad
18-12-12, 13:31
I think thats a need to know basis bokkie, and we dont need to know ..:nono: , regarding images , yes its your preference to which image you use, but like cars , i wouldnt dream of buying what the next door neighbour has (opinions my friend)

terayon00
18-12-12, 15:38
I am itching to buy this box, its a great looking box, but I am a bit worried if the images are not available

Donnie
18-12-12, 17:00
I am itching to buy this box, its a great looking box, but I am a bit worried if the images are not available

You have original images, VTi and BlackHole images, I am sure VIX will resolve the issue in due course.

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 17:06
You have original images, VTi and BlackHole images,...
LoL, have you ever tried them?
And enjoyed the lack of functionality, the system-crashes (on simple install of plugins from their feeds) and the nostalgia of an OE1.6-based image :D

Donnie
18-12-12, 17:26
And enjoyed the lack of functionality, the system-crashes (on simple install of plugins from their feeds) and the nostalgia of an OE1.6-based image :D

Yes probably far more than you think :D and I am a little confused on your comments.:confused:

Ev0
18-12-12, 17:33

Sorry Rob, thats more than a little biased and unfair imo.

What is better about OE2.0 compared to OE1.6 anyway ? as i've used images based on both and haven't noticed any difference as an end user.

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 17:35
What is better about OE2.0 compared to OE1.6 anyway ? as i've used images based on both and haven't noticed any difference as an end user.
Well, maybe I'm more demanding then.
If I only think about EPG and subtitle support.......

Ev0
18-12-12, 17:47
Sorry Rob, I missed your reply.

So the main difference is in the subtitles and EPG support ?

I mean I can use Cool tv guide for a fancy epg, and I don't really use subtitles so maybe thats why i've not noticed any differences then.

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 17:58
Sorry Rob, I missed your reply.
So the main difference is in the subtitles and EPG support ?
I mean I can use Cool tv guide for a fancy epg, and I don't really use subtitles so maybe thats why i've not noticed any differences then.
Cool doesn't fill EPG-data.
And my reply was 'if only.....'.

and I don't really use subtitles so maybe thats why i've not noticed any differences then.
There you go: functionality you don't use will indeed and of course not be missed :) But many do!

But spare you're breath: I'm not going any further into this.

rassi
18-12-12, 18:08
Cool doesn't fill EPG-data.

Whatīs wrong with BH EPG or CrossEPG, both are installed by default on BH.

Larry-G
18-12-12, 18:16
Look guys this is not a who's image is better thread and it's not going to turn into one either because i simply wont let it. As users we have a very wide choice of images to use, and thats always going to be a good thing. Our current stance is nothing to do with any other image team it's between us and Vu to sort out.

Now as far as this thread goes andy simply stated that at this current time we have no plans to release a image until things with Vu are resolved, and contrary to some other small minded people ( you know who you are ) we already have a working ViX image for this box but we need to stick to our guns on this one so please dont try to turn it into some thing it's not.

dlmlus
21-12-12, 17:01
image release or no image release that is upto the guys concerned, and no one else.
just like if you want the box then buy the box(from the sponsors of course)and use
what ever image you please, i don,t see anyone telling anyone not to use other images
and if they did you would not like it, would you.

so leave the vix guys alone and let them sort out their own affairs.

now i,m going for a lay down,lol

dlmlus

scruff1963
21-12-12, 17:53
I have no intention of buying the new vu boxes but if I was considering it and the vix team were not making an image then I would have alarm bells ringing.

I have a tmtwin and at this time do not use the vix image on it but I know 100% that if it hadn't been for vix in the 1st place hammering tm for driver updates and getting them I would not have the option of vix, aaf, sif, 4d, or as is being played with at this time an openpli3.0 based image for the twin. Without the time and dedication by the vix team geting a working/stable tmtwin image instead of these options I would have a pretty useless doorstop.

None of the other images would be available for this box if vix hadn't led the way and shared the information with everybody.

If I hear the vix boys say no image because the drivers are not up to scratch then I would look for a different box until they said the drivers were upto scratch.

Tkr001
22-12-12, 01:23
Just in case Vu are monitoring this thread, I too was going to hit the button and buy a Solo2. However no VIX, no box is my position. If Vu doesn't get its act together I will buy another manufacturers box. A pity as I have bought 5 Vu boxes in the last year or so.

twol
22-12-12, 11:45
Agree with last responder - I was looking for a cheap 1 tuner box for my cellar bedroom and having seen the disaster with GigaBlue (my impression) and this thread, I have gone for an Xtrend ET5000 at a good price of €165 - a 2011 box but still has support with updated drivers from Xtrend and it is a really sweet (:) ) small box which with the VIX image works great and I have no intention of buying a box that is not VIX image supported.

terayon00
22-12-12, 18:19
I must admit without a vix image I wouldn't want to buy this box, but I really do want this box. Please guys lets resolve this.

panda23
22-12-12, 22:22
I have cancelled my pre-order for this box, hopefully things can get resolved and a Vix image will be released at some point. Looks a great box to be fair but even better with a Vix image installed on it.:cool:

Markymark
22-12-12, 22:33
I have cancelled my pre-order for this box, hopefully things can get resolved and a Vix image will be released at some point. Looks a great box to be fair but even better with a Vix image installed on it.:cool:

What's gone on? It's such a shame that vu owners who love vix are hit by this lack of development, but then seems that Vu have caused all this with something they haven't done. Can't someone just make public this issue and maybe things could get resolved.

scruff1963
22-12-12, 22:50
What's gone on? It's such a shame that vu owners who love vix are hit by this lack of development, but then seems that Vu have caused all this with something they haven't done. Can't someone just make public this issue and maybe things could get resolved.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24276-ViX-image-for-Solo2&p=180630&viewfull=1#post180630 post 4 in this thread explains what the problem is, a lack of support for the box from the manufacturers.
Excellent hardware needs to be backed up by good software or it's not meeting it's full potential.
As I said earlier in the thread the tmtwin was suffering from poor support from tm but the vix boys kept on until they got what was required to turn it into a nice box, they then shared their work so we have a choice of good images for a box that had good potential but was going nowhere until vix go it sorted by harrasing tm until they got what was required.
I'm sure the solo2 is an excellent box hardware wise but without software support the excellent hardware is useless.

gab2001uk
23-12-12, 11:19
I am tempted by this box mainly for the possibility of on the fly transcoding to enable it to be used in a similar way to the slingbox. I am now worried that this may not yet be working, and do not want to waste my money.
I have 3 VU+ Duo boxes, all with VIX images, and would definitely prefer this new box with a VIX image.

Does anybody know if the transcoding is working?

rassi
23-12-12, 12:16
Does anybody know if the transcoding is working?

I do have a Solo2, but havenīt tested transcoding yet. Below quote from another forum.

Ok so I have only done a quick test so far, but I can confirm that the new transcoding function is working with my iPad :D

The quality is downgraded at the moment, but obviously this is still in very early beta stages, and i'm sure that the quality will get better with each update they do.

gab2001uk
23-12-12, 12:21
That looks promising

Think I might go for the box (from our sponsor of course) and see how things develop from there

scruff1963
23-12-12, 13:48
There maybe no images to be released but they are still working on the boxes if you follow the oe-alliance updates on github so i'm assuming they are hoping to get the support from vu.

Ev0
23-12-12, 13:58
Yes I can confirm that transcoding is indeed working, but as stated above it is still in early beta stages and the quality isn't as good as it could be yet.

rassi
23-12-12, 15:10
Yes I can confirm that transcoding is indeed working, but as stated above it is still in early beta stages and the quality isn't as good as it could be yet.

How this transcode should work? :)
It has enabled on my box, but how I test it with iPad? :confused:

danivtec
23-12-12, 15:19
The transcoding function needs a bitrate and resolution option IMO. It may come as development continues.
The duo 2 is down for 1080p transcoding so 720p on the solo 2 is hopefully achievable.

Ev0
23-12-12, 15:25
How this transcode should work? :)
It has enabled on my box, but how I test it with iPad? :confused:

open safari and type in your box's ip (or dns) address, it uses the webif.

rassi
23-12-12, 16:34
open safari and type in your box's ip (or dns) address, it uses the webif.

Thanks. Seems like it wonīt start stream channels which has alternatives set, thatīs why it didnīt work for me at first place :)

Ev0
23-12-12, 16:38
Thanks. Seems like it wonīt start stream channels which has alternatives set, thatīs why it didnīt work for me at first place :)

Are you using BH 1.7.9-3 ?

What do you mean by alternatives set ?

rassi
23-12-12, 19:16
Are you using BH 1.7.9-3 ?

What do you mean by alternatives set ?

Yes BH. I have set alternative channels to my channel list as i do have C+T tuners attached to box as well and thereīs bunch of channels which
i can receive from S, C and T network, so i have set C/T channels to be alternative of S2 channel to my channel list, so if S tuners are reserved then box takes automatically T or C channel to be viewed.

Ev0
23-12-12, 19:18
Yes BH. I have set alternative channels to my channel list as i do have C+T tuners attached to box as well and thereīs bunch of channels which
i can receive from S, C and T network, so i have set C/T channels to be alternative of S2 channel to my channel list, so if S tuners are reserved then box takes automatically T or C channel to be viewed.

I thought that is what you meant, but wanted to be sure.

At the moment it seems that the solo2 is unable to transcode from usb tuners.

But it does work from the internal dvb-s2 tuners.

iZaza
24-12-12, 05:01
ohhh thanks guys, I am new to linux boxes, I was just about to buy a solo 2 but now I have changed my mind. I do not want to buy a box is not going to be supported by Vix. Someone please tell me a good solid alternative box. Many thanks

bluepeter
24-12-12, 17:53
ohhh thanks guys, I am new to linux boxes, I was just about to buy a solo 2 but now I have changed my mind. I do not want to buy a box is not going to be supported by Vix. Someone please tell me a good solid alternative box. Many thanks

You may have some time to wait before you find something comparable to the solo2, anything else would be a step backwards imho. Maybe the GB quad... peeps here seem to be singing it's praise but I not sure it will receive all the support that it deserves. Would love to be proved wrong though..

As a matter of interest why is it so important that it gets Vix support, what's wrong with BH?

As a disclaimer: I have no vested interest in any particular image

Regards
Peter

OldSkulRide
24-12-12, 18:06
Some users are used to features that are only to be found with OpenPLi based images thats all.

Rob van der Does
24-12-12, 18:20
Some users are used to features that are only to be found with OpenPLi based images thats all.
Exactly!

I know that I'm biassed as I have had the privilege to run a beta version of ViX on my Solo2 for over two weeks, but I can only say: wow, it's a great piece of kit!

pooface
24-12-12, 18:37
As others have said, if you are in the boat for a box a the moment, then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending a solo2. I haven't had one to test, but from what I've heard of the box, it's worthy of it's sales... ViX image or not, the box itself is a great box from all accounts, and there will likely be other images coming for it in the future...

bluepeter
24-12-12, 18:41

But surely an image shouldn't be the determining factor why someone would buy a receiver or not... that is just plain crazy.

It's strange but I'm seeing many posts from first time or comparatively new member stating they wouldn't buy a rx that Vix doesn't support. Call me an old cynic but.......

OpenPLi is not the be all to end all. It's seems a shame that probably the best rx to come to market for some time is being undermined by petty politics.

Regards
Peter.

Rob van der Does
24-12-12, 19:18
But surely an image shouldn't be the determining factor why someone would buy a receiver or not... that is just plain crazy.
Well, for me it is, wheter you call that crazy or not!

OpenPLi is not the be all to end all.
Yep it is. At least: PLi (based) images are. For me at least.

drzaphod
24-12-12, 19:38
I can only agree. The PLI images are great and I haven't tested any other image that are even close as the OpenPLI and VXI images.

I am hoping that VXI comes out to my new Solo2 and soon. I just got it and saw the post about no support from VU+, same. I hope everything clears up soon so that we can get this great image on this machine.

bluepeter
24-12-12, 20:49
Well, for me it is, wheter you call that crazy or not!

Yep it is. At least: PLi (based) images are. For me at least.

But you would say that Rob, you are a Vix beta tester with some degree of vested interest. I like to play devils advocate, you need to put forward a reasoned argument for why Pli (based) images reach other parts other images don't. Otherwise for those like me in the know you're biased view has no validity.

Please let me also say that PLi based images have always been well thought through and on the whole stable.... but and I say but, over the years I've had my fair share of problems with both PLi based enigma1/2 images as I have had with others... There's yet to be the perfect image so no I wouldn't let the image be the deciding factor whether or not I'd buy a particular RX... Thats really sad.

Like I said, much too much politics going on here and that's clouding the issue.,

It would be great to be able to discuss this receiver openly without felling that every other poster jumps in the thread to dis Vu for their so called lack of support (ood drivers etc) I don't suppose Vu are losing too much sleep over Vix releasing an image or not... WOS the site sponsors are still selling the Solo2....now if they decided to withdraw support, that would speak volumes but that's not going to happen is it.

So put up or shut up.....

I was one of the earliest members to this forum giving the Vix image my full support over the time.... I come here less and less now, this childish attitude and biased nature that some take defies belief.... Do remember this it all open source s/w for anyone that is capable of modification... I've yet to find a perfectly written image... much of it needs to be rewritten, cleaned up etc etc. and that goes for open PLi images.

Regards
Peter

scruff1963
24-12-12, 21:19
I think I may be one of the new members you mention.
I maybe new to this site but i'm not new to others.

I know that I had a tm800hd and there was never a usable image for it then the tmtwin came out and it was a dog, vix started to make an image and now my box isn't a dog anymore.
Thanks to vix I can now use an open4d (based on pli2.1), aaf, sif or vix image (all oe-alliance) and a pure pli3.0 is being worked on at the moment. These options would not be available if the vix team hadn't taken the time to work on the box and share their results.

Blackhole doesn't support my box the only support is from pli based images so i'm going to be biased am I not ?

As I have stated before if it wasn't for vix getting tm to get the drivers sorted then my tmtwin would be pretty useless, I transfer that logic to any box and for me if vix don't support it then i'm not interested. It's a view that my experience has reinforced.

I speak from my experiences I can't use a non pli based image because they don't support the box I own it is not exactly rocket science is it. If other images don't support my box why should I even look at them ?

Larry-G
24-12-12, 21:22
To be honest guys we have made our selves perfectly clear on this situation and im certainly not going to bother replying any more other than to say this.

Our stance with Vu is neither politically motivated nor financially motivated as some seem to believe. nor are we waiting for Pli or any other team to do any work for us, we are currently working on a Solo2 image and it will only be released when we decide to do so.

We have always had a reputation as a team who would only release a image as and when we were happy it was rite to do so, and from now on thats the case with this one. we will of course update this forum and only this forum with any changes that relate to a release and thats all there is to it.