PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] Boot speed increase

puschi
17-12-12, 12:26
Is there a possibility to increase the boot speed? At this time, the box needs 2 minutes to boot.

That’s terrible!

I've tryed some things to increase the speed (deleting unneeded plugins, a smaler lamedb and so on) but this speeds up the boot time only 1 or 2 secondes.

I think, the most time is needed for copy the image from internal flash to ram and unzip the compressed image with the slow 333Mhz cpu.
There is a way to decrease the time of this step.
If a very small loader firmware is written, that loads a unzipped/uncompressed image directly from the HDD, it is a strange speedup. This step can reduce the boot time from the box below 1 minute.

Is it possible to write this the poor people, who have a slow solo?

Donnie
17-12-12, 12:31
Compare it to a DM800HD and you will see it is not that slow. :D

If you want to see how fast it will boot with a streamline image load an original and you will see that there is very little difference between original and VIX.

If you cant live with it then the solo2 is what you need. :thumbsup:

Stanman
17-12-12, 20:21
If you want fast boot it has to be a Gigablue Quad or SOlO2 as Donnie said

Larry-G
17-12-12, 20:24
personally i dont really see the problem with bootspeeds, after all do you really sit there and watch the receiver at boot up just to time it ?, Never really did understand certain peoples fascination with boot times for satellite receivers.

pooface
17-12-12, 20:25
personally i dont really see the problem with bootspeeds, after all do you really sit there and watch the receiver at boot up just to time it ?, Never really did understand certain peoples fascination with boot times for satellite receivers.

Prolly because when your box crashes you want it to start before you miss all of a program, or when you wanna update or do something in adverts and don't want swmbo moaning at you if she misses the start of the program :p

puschi
18-12-12, 12:20

Hi.

If I have enough money, I can buy just such a course once solo2.
If you have a job that's also peanuts :thumbsup:.

I watch of course not to the boot process, but mainly the television.
But in the evening when I come back home to prime time and would like to record a film or even quickly see a film, I turn on the fast solo and:
wait for a black screen
and still waiting on a black screen
and still waiting on a black screen
the movie is by now ..
and I'm still waiting on a black screen
The movie continues in the meantime ..
My wife looks at me already angry ..:mad:
and I'm still waiting on a black screen
Then comes the boot logo .. beautiful.
My wife looks at me still bad ..:mad:
The boot logo is still there ...
finally there is the picture ....
I may now have to wait until I can switch to the channel
wait, wait, wait
and already the long 2 minutes are up.

A question: if your wife gets a baby or is sick and you have to drive fast to the hospital,
are you happy if your car ride nice and slow ?

While he could, with a little help from experts, go much faster (tuning) and can life-saving your wife / your baby, but it's nice to drive slowly
isn't it?

Sometimes it's just nice when it goes faster, sometimes it is enough if it is nice and slow.

And solo2's also pretty fast, but she's with her only 128MB flash (see vendor page) as good as at the end with a couple of plugins ....
And with a new vix image with many new features it will be slow .. it is also intended to be a bit slower.
So I would rather buy the solo4, which is then developed in a year ....

What about innovation? What's with good ideas? All discard?

No offense to the vix image, it's really great!!!!! I love it!!!!
However, it could be a little refine it so awesome is including the old solo's.

dfdream
18-12-12, 13:18
I have a solo and dont find it too bad.
I set the power manager to boot before we come home from work in the evening from deep standby and it has epg sorted before we come home.
At weekends I set it for 9am so the little one can see her programs.
Use power manager and deep sleep and it will cover your needs most of the time...

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 13:22
.......And solo2's also pretty fast, but she's with her only 128MB flash (see vendor page) as good as at the end with a couple of plugins .....
Solo2 has 256MB flash.

.....And with a new vix image with many new features it will be slow ..........
Boottime is approx 40 seconds; E2 restart is 10 seconds.

puschi
18-12-12, 14:01
Solo2 has 256MB flash.

Boottime is approx 40 seconds; E2 restart is 10 seconds.

Hi Rob.

Have a look on the vendor page: www2 . vuplus dot com / products / solo2menu
and look on the bottom:

RAM: 1GB
FLASH: 128MB.

If you get a box with 256MB, you can be happy.
If you get a box with 128MB, it is like the vendor says.

And 40 secondes to boot? Thats great. It is allmost at fast as a good old dbox with a 66mhz cpu at a 8mb flash image and slow ram.

The greater the cpu speed, the greater the boottime?.

In the next days it is christmas. I'm dreaming of a white christmas and a boottime below 30 secondes.

Just dreaming....

:)

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 14:14
Have a look on the vendor page: www2 . vuplus dot com / products / solo2menu
and look on the bottom:
RAM: 1GB
FLASH: 128MB.

I know: that's info from a year back.

And 40 secondes to boot? Thats great. It is allmost at fast as a good old dbox with a 66mhz cpu at a 8mb flash image and slow ram.
The greater the cpu speed, the greater the boottime?.
In the next days it is christmas. I'm dreaming of a white christmas and a boottime below 30 seconds.

I think you will know perfectly well that boottime is not only CPU-dependant, but also depends on the image, settings, plugins and skin in use. As this is my testbox, I have loads installed. The Ultimo, with roughly the same setup, takes some 85 seconds to boot, and approx 50 seconds for an Enigma restart.

Donnie
18-12-12, 14:22
I think the OP needs a Duo2 2GB RAM 1GB Flash, personally the solo2 is the best e2 box on the market and I have owned quite a few. :D

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 14:50
I think you will know perfectly well that boottime is not only CPU-dependant, but also depends on the image, settings, plugins and skin in use. As this is my testbox, I have loads installed. The Ultimo, with roughly the same setup, takes some 85 seconds to boot, and approx 50 seconds for an Enigma restart.
This makes it perfectly clear that a large part of the boot time is taken by the application 'Enigma2'; and for starting Enigma2 the CPU-speed matters very much indeed.

stumpey
18-12-12, 15:49
For me the Vu is never in deep standby only gets booted on a update ( planned) and the rest of the time is just in standby. So I come in hit the on button for the Vu this also turns on the TV and we are done, no complaints no time wasted watching boot up screens. I know not good for the environment but then nor is my car..........

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 16:52
For me the Vu is never in deep standby only gets booted on a update ( planned) and the rest of the time is just in standby. So I come in hit the on button for the Vu this also turns on the TV and we are done, no complaints no time wasted watching boot up screens. I know not good for the environment but then nor is my car..........
Obviously boottime is of no importance if you never boot. However: shutting down a box saves you a lot of money.

stumpey
18-12-12, 17:32
After crunching the numbers and using the average number of hours the Vu would be on and then in deep standby, then comparing the figures against the Vu being on full time the saving would be 4p a day or £1.20 a month. In the big picture that's bugger all compared to petrol prices etc......

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
18-12-12, 17:53
No idea about the energy prices over there, but be aware that any box in standby will use approx 25W or around 600W per day or 4.2KWh per week or 18KWh per month or 219KWh per year.
Of course the number of hours actual using the box should be substracted from that.

And I have some 10 boxes over here......

But of course: if petrol prices are leading, you can use all the power you want......

stumpey
18-12-12, 18:10
No bun fight intended :-) and with 10 boxes yes that would make a difference. But with just one box the cost difference is negligible and against my other hobbies this is cheap :-). Only using petrol prices as one trip as Dads taxi costs more than £1.20 :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

huey45
20-12-12, 20:50
Why don't you put kettle on once you decide to boot box
and when you come back with cuppa in hand box is ready
is Ferrari speed paramount