PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson receiver advice or similar

olly
14-12-12, 14:50
Hi all,im looking to get my parents a sat receiver,i currently have a vu solo,so i know how to setup one of these,but what are the ferguson 102,202 like(mainly due to cost i looked at this receiver) to use and to setup for sly.Is there enough advice about to setup and keep running without having to keep doing updates etc,as me dads patience is not the best,so more the less time it needs updates,messing with the better.
Can i run mgcamd on it?
Also whats the main difference between a linux box(my vu solo),and these type like the ferguson? what can it do or cannot do?

Thanks Olly.

jdoe
14-12-12, 15:18
Hi Olly,

Funnily enough, I have a friend in the same situation as you. To some things up:

From what I have seen of the box, it is your standard run of the mill sat box, no bells and whistles just does what it says. Think of it as a free view style box with HD and with the ability to load cccam and mgcamd.

In the support section for these stb's I've seen some people have compiled a full EPG which you download and put onto the box using a usb drive. There is no software updating etc required. Simple as that.

The fact that it is not an open source linux style box just means that what you see is what you get, no add on, firmware support through guys like VIX etc. Again it just does what is says on the box. Hassle free so your dads patience should be ok. :thumbsup:

Check the sponsors website for more information.

I don't personally own any of the above but it is very similar to the openbox s11 etc which I do have.

In regards to my TM Twin OE and your VU Solo there is no real comparison as its like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.

Cheers

jdoe
14-12-12, 15:22
In regards to my TM Twin OE and your VU Solo there is no real comparison as its like comparing a fiat to a ferrari.

Cheers

I wasn't comparing my twin with your vu solo, but those two against the Ferguson. Just to make that clear haha!

olly
14-12-12, 20:52
Cheers, I take it im in the Fiat then? lol

Thanks for the pointers,is it pretty easy to setup compared to a linux box?
Does the epg you flash onto it last, as long as its loaded on,or do you have to update it?

OLLY

basilyoung
14-12-12, 22:20
only messed with the furgy once,...it was ok..but not my cuppa, have you concider,d the bottom range giga blue units? ( full E2 unit, so fairly future proof )

olly
15-12-12, 13:12
only messed with the furgy once,...it was ok..but not my cuppa, have you concider,d the bottom range giga blue units? ( full E2 unit, so fairly future proof )

Hi, no not really as its a gift for xmas and do not really want to spend that much,plus other things i have bought the parents,will be getting to expensive.

copex
15-12-12, 13:49
i have the 102e they are user friendly im sure using on in Europe is a joy , though setting up & updating the channel list is not straight forward, there is no EPG though sometimes you do get now and next. it ok for a second box, but if it was my main box it would have been sold by now.

i would go for a E2 box spend the extra and save your self a lot of hassle,

Larry-G
15-12-12, 14:19
I got the 202 for my brother a couple months back and while I actually do like The box, the lack of a EPG and easy to use channel list organiser mean its not some thing i would use daily. For my brother it's a great box but not for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

olly
15-12-12, 14:40
Perhaps i should just be extra nice this xmas then and get the Gigablue!
I take it there is plenty of support for this box,also from vix?
Anything i would need to know before buying one,and i guess will be almost the same to flash and upload to as my vu solo,cheers all.Olly

Stanman
15-12-12, 14:48
There is a VIX image out for the BOX, I bought one and it is a really fast box.

There is net talk of the lan becoming a GB one so plenty to look forward to.

It will only take an internal 2.5HDD so buy a slim one.

It is actually a lot easier to flash than the SOLO and ET5K no need to hold any buttons.

the VFD is alsi quite nice - not as big as the Ultimo but its colour and can display PICONS

jdoe
17-12-12, 18:23
Hi Olly,

In the support section for these stb's I've seen some people have compiled a full EPG which you download and put onto the box using a usb drive. There is no software updating etc required. Simple as that.

Hi Olly, when I said users have compiled a full EPG I actually meant channel list. As copex and phoenix pointed out you only get now and next and when that doesn't show you generally have to switch the box on and off.

For the hassle free side I'd maybe look at the Technomate TM-Single Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR Single Tuner Satellite Receiver on the sponsors website. It's double the money and is supported by Vix but is a very good first box (main use) let alone second for the price. Then again, GigaBlue is also mentioned which i'm not too familiar with but the guys know what they are on about.