PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Quad HW

tinos
13-12-12, 11:00
I have tried to get an answer on the official support forums (german) but nothing several times. Will try here in case someone has better access to devs.

Could someone with official contacts please confirm if Ethernet chip is 1000Mbps capable? On GB Quad Manual and webpage it shows Gigabit capability but not on the back box cover it shows 100 only. Solo2 comes with 1000Mbps using same SoC Broadcom solution... wonder if they use external chip or not for that?

Also do you know if GB developers will fix the /dev/sci0 to make it single open? So it doesn't crash program if you run 2 emus at once (oscam+CCcam 2.1.x for example).

If they fix picture quality to match Solo2 I will be super happy. Also do you know if Kernel 3.x + drivers are coming like on Solo2? Does it make sense to keep old kernel when GB Quad was on market before Solo2? both Vu+ and GB should have access to same SDK and drivers from Broadcom?

Mr. Mister
13-12-12, 12:45
All you questions have been asked dozens of time before.. and we are no further forward at the moment..

Picture quality is ALOT better now than it was a few weeks ago.. Im pretty happy with the picture quality at the moment.. Granted.. its not 100% yet.. But its certainly nothing to have a maon about..

Im pretty sure that GB will revert to kernal 3.x in due course..

XabiX
13-12-12, 13:59
We had the same worries questions ourselves. Since I decided to buy I am verry happy and don't need anything more that the Solo2 can provide.

tinos
14-12-12, 16:33
Could someone with official contacts please confirm if Ethernet chip is 1000Mbps capable? On GB Quad Manual and webpage it shows Gigabit capability but not on the back box cover it shows 100 only. Solo2 comes with 1000Mbps using same SoC Broadcom solution... wonder if they use external chip or not for that?

Ok... I was able to use an internal Solo2 picture to see that they have added an external chip to the Broadcom CPU... looks like RTL8211EG (Gigabit Ethernet from Realtek) so that will explain why the Quad is only 10/100 and the Solo2 is 1000 using same SoC Broadcom solution. At least 1 question is answered.

tinos
14-12-12, 17:20
Ok... I was able to use an internal Solo2 picture to see that they have added an external chip to the Broadcom CPU... looks like RTL8211EG (Gigabit Ethernet from Realtek) so that will explain why the Quad is only 10/100 and the Solo2 is 1000 using same SoC Broadcom solution. At least 1 question is answered.

Maybe not... acording to this post Gigabit LAN could be fixed....

http://www.gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=31248#post31248

Gigabit Lan, a solution already exists and is being tested.

XabiX
18-12-12, 09:40
by the way, I don't see the need of a GB interface for such demo. The limitation will not be the wiring (switches and ethernet port) but the HW: hardrive(streaming), the CPU, motherboard SATA2 etc...

The only benefit will be for file copying but this will not change really the day to day usage in front of the TV :D

Anyway it's good to know that with future update we could get the port to negotiate up to 1GB :D

tinos
18-12-12, 10:04
Benefit will be only for people using the box as a NAS. No other real need for it... well it is nice that movie transfers take less time but its Ok. I usually watch recording from device so no real need on my side to transfer anything.

Anyway... I don't trust GB anymore... I wonder if that is real info as they needed an external chip on the Solo2... they might get us to expire our warranties before the gigabit ethernet works (ala Azbox with its software). New drivers came with nothing of the promised features... picture quality is worst on HD or SD IMHO no improvements and promised AC3 on DVD audio is not working... so took them 15 days to make it worst. Tired of lies.

XabiX
18-12-12, 11:04
I have a VU+ UNO before and I don't regret my QUAD.
I didn't had issues with MKV, subtitles, languages etc... so so far I am happy !

tinos
18-12-12, 11:09
I have a ET9200 and don't regret my Quad either... but wonder how long I will keep it before more manufacturers start jumping to the 1.3Ghz speed... Solo2 is less IMHO but a nice Duo2 with higher CPU revision from Broadcom might do the trick. Until then I have the Quad to play. But would think twice before I buy another GigaBlue, or at least never trust specs from them again.

I use a cheap WDTV to playback mkvs or avis...

dfdream
18-12-12, 14:09
For me the big issue with all new boxes is that they are only minor improvements and tweeks.
The big change in TV over the last 2 years is online.
Hulu/Netflix and others, Youview, iplayer, 4OD, and other on demand services etc, Youtube Channels, Online only TV channels, interactive tv with online services.
The current linux setup is suffering the same tragedy as LINUX itself. It arrived on the scene with design and features that other OSs could only dream of but they have all caught up now.
The only benefits of LINUX receivers is primarily the same as it was in the first box.
Where as other services have passed it out in most other areas.

Tweaking will get something so far. But at some stage a new concept is required...

My 2 pence worth....

twol
18-12-12, 16:08
For me the big issue with all new boxes is that they are only minor improvements and tweeks.
Hulu/Netflix and others, Youview, iplayer, 4OD, and other on demand services etc, Youtube Channels, Online only TV channels, interactive tv with online services.
The current linux setup is suffering the same tragedy as LINUX itself. It arrived on the scene with design and features that other OSs could only dream of but they have all caught up now.
The only benefits of LINUX receivers is primarily the same as it was in the first box.

Tweaking will get something so far. But at some stage a new concept is required...

My 2 pence worth....
You mean that you have access to what you had before ..... But faster and online:)

XabiX
18-12-12, 17:21
You mean that you have access to what you had before ..... But faster and online:)

The next step is to interact with the scenes behind the tv. Some smell the atmosphere and share drinks with your favorites actors etc..
Holographic movies :D

tickett
20-12-12, 15:29

My 2 pence worth....

This is actually a really interesting/valid point. I bought my first linux satellite receiver for a few main reasons:
1) Stream to laptop
2) Copy recordings to laptop for watching on the train
3) Central recording storage on fileserver (no need for local disk)

But now with offerings from almost every provider (including the free ones) giving 7day catchup, vod etc it is a surprise we've not seen a lot of this already? (Or maybe there are plugins i've overlooked :)

Rob van der Does
20-12-12, 15:36
IMHO there's a huge difference between depending on services offered by providers (how long, which programs, also obtainable from abroad, HD-quality?) and the freedom when recording yourself.

dfdream
20-12-12, 19:06
Sorted.
I bought a 7 inch tablet (for £29 open box) with HDMI and play store and stuck it to the back of the TV.
Works a treat. Control it from my tablet and phone so Im sorted on the online front.