PDA

View Full Version : Menus appearing on Duo without pressing any buttons

pdlee
09-12-12, 11:37
I've had a problem with my duo for the last couple of weeks or so where menus appear without any buttons being pressed on either the remote or the box itself.

The problem seemed to start after I moved the EPG and Picons from the hard drive to USB although I'm unsure if this is the cause or just a coincidence (I've moved the EPG back to the hard drive but it makes no difference).

It isn't a problem with the remote as it still happens when the batteries are removed. I've also reinstalled the latest Vix image, reinstalled Cross EPG and reinstalled auto bouquets which seemed to solve it for a few days but it's now started happening again.

Has anyone come across a similar problem? Could it be a fault with the box which is only a month old.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

judge
09-12-12, 12:44
are any buttons on the front of the box sticking?

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 13:17
Did you do a fresh install or from a back up?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 13:19
HDMI-CEC side effects?

Boys with a R/C standing in front of your window?

basilyoung
09-12-12, 13:22
First of all, it would be nothing to do with EPG/Picons ( although these items are best on a usb stick )

A sticking Button or jammed button is a possibilty, but I would of said its more likely on the remote rather than the unit ( but that has been discounted by "no batts" )

where did you get the unit from? it could be a faulty unit, but before going down the road of returns this close to xmass, perhaps see what ever other options come forward from other members

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 13:29
Can I just say I disagree about saving epg to USB on duo I believe it to have slowed both of my systems down when I had that setting
I personally find epg on hdd to be better and both my duos run much faster and smoother now.

basilyoung
09-12-12, 13:47
Can I just say I disagree about saving epg to USB on duo I believe it to have slowed both of my systems down when I had that setting
I personally find epg on hdd to be better and both my duos run much faster and smoother now.

Thanks for the comment, but this is a matter of opinion, but not really relivent to the main issue, ( not having a "pop" at you )

for now, we need to get the OP,s problem fixed

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 14:11
I agree, waiting on response to see if it was fresh install or not. As if it was from back up he may just be re loading whatever bug his system has.

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 15:05
In short: impossible.

pdlee
09-12-12, 15:08
Thanks for your replies.

Vix wasn't restored from a backup - I formatted the USB and downloaded the latest version of vix before re flashing the box and I initialised the hard drive again as I wasn't sure if any settings which could be causing the problems could have been saved on the hard drive.

HDMI-CEC is disabled and the box came from world of satellite.

I wondered if it could be a bug with Vix but I'd imagine others would have similar problems? Fault with the box possibly?

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 15:15
In short: impossible.

Explain how its impossible......oh wise one.

Explain how my eyes deceive me when the evidence is in front of me.

Larry-G
09-12-12, 15:31

The EPG it self is held in live memory the same as your bouquets are, They are only written to the storage media ( USB ) upon shutdown or bootup, so i'd look to your settings for a explanation. I have my EPG saved to USB on 5 receivers one a Duo and one a Duo LE, none suffer any problems. That said the EPG would indeed work well from a HDD as a USB device.

Larry-G
09-12-12, 15:32
Explain how its impossible......oh wise one.

Explain how my eyes deceive me when the evidence is in front of me.

because as i explained in my original post EPG data is held in live FLASH memory and only read from or written to upon bootup or shutdown times.

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 15:40
I know its only read from start up
And held in live memory....but it still slowed both my boxes down when I saved it to USB. As soon I switched it to hdd they run like lightning. When i switch back ...navigating menus is slower. Can't explain why....but they just do.......

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 15:48
I know its only read from start up
And held in live memory....but it still slowed both my boxes down when I saved it to USB. As soon I switched it to hdd they run like lightning. When i switch back ...navigating menus is slower. Can't explain why....but they just do.......
Again: impossible. Must be between the ears.
As has been explained (many many times) the file is not even in use when the box is alive.

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 16:04
As I said I understand about when it loads and it being in live memory. I'm just saying on my boxes that's what happens.
Some strange things happen all of the time. Just like how it took 3 days to flash Jim blogs solo because his front USB wasn't doing it but he had to use the rear one.

But I suppose that was impossible too.

I am not asking for help on this .

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 16:11
.... Just like how it took 3 days to flash Jim blogs solo because his front USB wasn't doing it but he had to use the rear one.

But I suppose that was impossible too. ....
No, it's not. There are more reports around differences between front/back USB ports for several boxes. Has nothing to do with a setting around a file that's not being used.

Please try to contain yourself; foul language is not appreciated.

Larry-G
09-12-12, 16:13
Its you're attitude between your ears, it stinks at times.

As I said I understand about when it loads and it being in live memory. I'm just saying on my boxes that's what happens. So don't call me a liar.
Some strange things happen all of the time. Just like how it took 3 days to flash Jim blogs solo because his front USB wasn't doing it but he had to use the rear one.

But I suppose that was impossible too.

I am not asking for help on this . I'm happy with my setup just don't make me out to be a liar, please I can see the results in front of me...you can't.

There is no point getting into a shouting match and it certainly does not help any one.

I simply stated that the file is not being read from the USB so that can not be why your receiver is slowing down, if you list your exact EPG setup we may be able to help trace the problem.

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 16:13
No, it's not. There are more reports around differences between front/back USB ports for several boxes. Has nothing to do with a setting around a file that's not being used.

Please try to contain yourself; foul language is not appreciated.

Excuse me....but what foul language have I used??

Larry-G
09-12-12, 16:25
come on guys, i know tempers can get a little frayed at times but were all here to help each other, so with that in mind @ mickyblueys if you can post your EPG setup we can look to see how or why it's having the affect it is when used on a USB stick.

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 16:36
Excuse me....but what foul language have I used??
I deleted it for you convenience.

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 16:40
I deleted it for you convenience.

For you're convenience. I didn't use foul language.

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 16:48
come on guys, i know tempers can get a little frayed at times but were all here to help each other, so with that in mind @ mickyblueys if you can post your EPG setup we can look to see how or why it's having the affect it is when used on a USB stick.

But as I said I'm happy with my setting on hdd. It could quite possibly have something to do with the USB sticks I use... I don't know.
If there is something wrong with my settings let me know.

Cheers Phoenix.

It would be nice if you could explain to you're Dutch friend that "tits up" is a very English technical term. That he may not get! :)

basilyoung
09-12-12, 17:02
and due to uninvited epg discussion, and ego problems, this thread has been hi jacked, well done

in future please have the manners to copy and paste parts of a thread that are not directly relivent, and start your own thread

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 17:03
Apologies from myself.

pdlee
09-12-12, 17:29
Just found an article on early energy saving lightbulbs interfering with virgin media boxes causing random channel changes etc but I've turned off all bulbs and its still happening.

Running out of ideas now. Its not the remote, HDMI CEC is diabled, I've done a clean install of the latest vix.

Any suggestions or should I be thinking about trying to get a replacement duo?

mickyblueys
09-12-12, 17:46
Try a different image to see what happens then, may be!

basilyoung
09-12-12, 17:53
Try a different image to see what happens then, may be!

worth a try, but really, I think your best bet pdlee, is to contact the forum sponser, as it does sound like a unit fault

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 17:56
A couple of options:
1- Disconnect the HDMI-lead; that way you're sure HDMI-CEC can't interfere (or de-install the plugin);
2- Put a dark tape or paper before the IR-receiver; that way you're sure IR (from whatever which source) can't interfere. Make sure the tape is much wider then the IR-receiver (you can see it through the display window if you shine a strong light on it);
3- Activate debuglogs and look into it at them moment such an event happens; button pushes show up there.

pdlee
09-12-12, 18:52
Thanks all - some good suggestions there.

Cheers.

pdlee
18-12-12, 08:13
Just to update in case anyone has a similar problem - turning off HDMI CEC on the TV itself finally solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone who replied.