PDA

View Full Version : VIX N00b

dave_uk
08-12-12, 00:21
Hi all,

I just received my Solo today and Im pretty lost. I have newest VIX image on it and a motorised dish.

The 1st problem I have is that the menu is showing out of the screen (see pic below), I have changed the aspect ratio's and all sorts on box and tv

2nd problem is, is that I have no idea how to set this up for multisat. On my E1 TM-9100 I was using Edge Nemisis 4.4. I would use USALS to set my long/lat and set it to scan a range of satelites. I have noooo idea how to do this on E2 and cant even see the menu properly because of issue about :( I'm tuner settings and im pretty lost. Can somebody point me in the right direction please? I have just stumbled up upon "Positioner" for a mode but cant read the left hand side grrr

Thanks
Dave

judge
08-12-12, 00:25
First issue is sorted by turning off overscan on your TV. If you can't do that for any reason, you can fix it by using Menu -> Setup -> System -> User Interface -> Position Setup.
However, turning overscan off on your TV will result in a better picture.

dave_uk
08-12-12, 00:28
OMG, who didnt i know that!! I used to play around with that all the time!! it worked :D and ive manager to suss out the rest i think :)

dave_uk
08-12-12, 00:31
It's scanning 28.5 now
Gonna play about with boquets, try to convert from e1 to e2 and merge with CST channel list which I have used for a couple of years.

Oh forgot to say thanks too :)

dave_uk
08-12-12, 02:20
Im flying now mate,, you got me over the 1st hurdle. All channels sorted now :)
Just 1 more question. I have a (externally powered) USB drive which is connected but everytime I record the box gets an error and restarts. Do I need to format (initialize) the drive before I can use it?
Oh and 1 more on that, if I downloaded the EPG to the flash memory, when I get HDD up and running will it auto download to that or do I need to edit cfg ?

Cheers

basilyoung
08-12-12, 02:46
Im flying now mate,, you got me over the 1st hurdle. All channels sorted now :)
Just 1 more question. I have a (externally powered) USB drive which is connected but everytime I record the box gets an error and restarts. Do I need to format (initialize) the drive before I can use it?
Oh and 1 more on that, if I downloaded the EPG to the flash memory, when I get HDD up and running will it auto download to that or do I need to edit cfg ?

Cheers
yes you do

menu / setup / system / harddrive

dave_uk
08-12-12, 02:56
Will I need to reinstall and re config plugins after setting up HDD?

Thanks

dave_uk
08-12-12, 06:06
and last thing before I sleep ... how do I load up the file viewer to watch .ts files I recorded?

Thanks

basilyoung
08-12-12, 06:11
Will I need to reinstall and re config plugins after setting up HDD?

Thanks

actually the info i posted above is not quite accurate, after the above has been done, you then need to mount the drive

the usb drive can be found this way

menu/setup/vix/mount manager

plugins should be unaffected as far as i know

MarsArtis
08-12-12, 07:07
just a little note:
think well about storiong EPG on the hdd. This will cause it to never sleep. Better to use a USB stick.

judge
08-12-12, 10:31
just a little note:
think well about storiong EPG on the hdd. This will cause it to never sleep. Better to use a USB stick.

There's no harm in storing EPG on HDD as it's only read/written to on start-up/shut-down.
It doesn't cause the HDD to never sleep.

Rob van der Does
08-12-12, 11:10
There's no harm in storing EPG on HDD as it's only read/written to on start-up/shut-down.
It doesn't cause the HDD to never sleep.
Correct.
This is a common misunderstanding.

Larry-G
08-12-12, 12:46
just a little note:

EPG on the HDD is fine, in fact it's the preferred method. It's the picons that should not be stored on the HDD for the same reasons you state above.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dave_uk
08-12-12, 15:11
Thanks both for the reply.

just a little note:
Do you mean by using the front USB port ?

Cheers

Larry-G
08-12-12, 15:12
Thanks both for the reply.

Do you mean by using the front USB port ?

Cheers

You can but it's usually best to use one of the rear USB ports.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dave_uk
08-12-12, 15:24
Thanks all :)
This might be an easy one but how do I view recordings? When I use MediaScanner I see /media/hdd/ , it scans but says "no displayable media...". The media is stored in the sub folders. Do I add these as bookmarks? Is there a native way other than MediaScanner ? On my old E1 box there was a "files" button.

Something else I would like to get to work is getting the Solo to speak to my PC share so I can watch MKV etc accross the network using Solo. I can see the devices on network scanner, I enter the credentials in user manager but I dont see anything when "expanding" in Solo GUI. Am I missing something different ? I'm not too hot on Linux (just average) so I guess I might be missing out an easy step ? I do have a WDLive connecting to this share which confirms the share is accessible. (WDLive is powered off)

Thanks

dave_uk
08-12-12, 15:26
Ohhhh im installing samba base plugin now. Could the be the key !?
It wont start :-\ and when I leave the samba setup menu and go back in tried to download the plugin again :-\

dave_uk
08-12-12, 16:21
Thanks all :)
This might be an easy one but how do I view recordings? When I use MediaScanner I see /media/hdd/ , it scans but says "no displayable media...". The media is stored in the sub folders. Do I add these as bookmarks? Is there a native way other than MediaScanner ? On my old E1 box there was a "files" button.

Thanks
Suss'd that myself , pressed the "Recording List" button,, I should learn to read instruction books :P

Still need help with mounting PC share though

Thanks

dave_uk
08-12-12, 16:32
OK, sussed it using http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?15974-How-To-Setting-up-Windows-Network-Share , should I be able to play xvid on VU+ as its just hung the box (spinning VIX logo) when I browsed the PC and tried.

Cheers

Stanman
08-12-12, 16:34
Follow this tutorial forbthevshareshttp://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23560-Network-mounts-how-do-the y-work

dave_uk
08-12-12, 16:45
Thanks,, is dvix/xvid not support at the mo ? MKV works perfect :)

Rob van der Does
08-12-12, 18:23
Thanks,, is dvix/xvid not support at the mo ?
dvix/xvid is something like avi: it doesn't say which codec has been used. So some will play, others will not, depending on the codec being supported by the hardware. If not, you can re-code the file.