PDA

View Full Version : How to down load add ons and internet access

johnny99xx
17-09-10, 16:41
Hiya all,
this is my first post and I would like to say thank you for a fine looking site with plenty of information.

I got my VU+duo today, I don't have a problem flashing images as have had dreammbox 500c (null cable) and Eurovox700hd (USB) in the past.

Im thinking of flashing with a Vix team image after the good feedback I've read about on this site, once I've flashed I would like to access thier download/control centre for cams, addons etc.

I just don't know what you need, to be able to 'plug the box into the internet'
Im in a 1 bed flat, my pc is in the bedroom but I have a cable connector in the sitting room for tv.

I think, I need a router which plugs into the cable tv feed then the router to the ethernet connection of the box, is it this simple?
If not, please can someone explain and tell me what I need to buy and how to set it up,

thanks in advance
Johnny

grtmoby
17-09-10, 17:26
:welcome: on board johnny
nice having u with us and enjoy ur box...

connecting the box is that easy u mentioned it (just consider it another PC in your place) as for the image, one u flash it u'll be able to access and download everything that is there.

Stanman
18-09-10, 10:55
Also if your box is too far from the router - homeplugs are perfect and no wires everywhere either.

I use the BT Comtrends bought of ebay for £30 or less

johnny99xx
18-09-10, 14:12
thanks for the replies,
I was thinking, can i disconnect my modem from my pc (In the bedroom) and move my modem to my sitting room, then connect the tv feed to the modem then into my box? would this work?

thanks

Tyler
18-09-10, 14:21
Get the router home plugs it's much easier.

johnny99xx
18-09-10, 15:37
Thanks mate

popol
18-09-10, 15:42
thanks for the replies,
I was thinking, can i disconnect my modem from my pc (In the bedroom) and move my modem to my sitting room, then connect the tv feed to the modem then into my box? would this work?

thanks
I don't think so mate as the hardware in the modem is different and I don't think you can connect a tv feed to the modem. I might be wrong. If You've got a router you could connect using a wireless dongle ( I know for sure it works in a Vti image). There is a list of compatible dongles somewhere. Please do a search.

johnny99xx
22-09-10, 12:19
Hiya all,

Im really struggling here on what to buy
Im with Virgin on broadband and been told a homeplug is no good as its for BT
Im getting so much different info I don't know what to buy
Im being told the VU+duo does not have wirelless capability
All i want to do is connect to the VIX server to download addons
My pc and modem is in the bedroom
what exactly do i need to buy?
is it, a wireless router, which fits into my modem in the bedroom
then some sort of doggle which go's into the VU+duo's ethernet port
is this right?
if so/or if not, can someone please tell me were to go and what to buy

very frustrated

thanks in advance
johnny

g0ejl
22-09-10, 13:51
have you a satelite dish and not a cable feed?

johnny99xx
22-09-10, 14:09
I have a motorised sat dish, and cable feed
all I want to know is what I need to buy to connect the VU+duo box to the net to download addons
what router? do I have to connect a doggle (or something to the ethernet port of the box) to enable wireless connection?
were do i go e.g argos, pc world etc and what do i ask for

pooface
22-09-10, 14:29
By the sounds of it, you're using a cable modem. This then plugs directly in to the pc...

What you will need to do, is either (assuming it's an ethernet modem):

(a) Plug the cable modem in to the vu duo directly
(b) Buy a cable modem router, plug the cable modem in to the router, and then plug the vu duo in to the router
(c) Buy a cable modem wireless router, put the cable modem in to the router, and either buy a compatible wireless adapter for the router and connect wirelessly, or plug the vu duo in to the router by a wire...

johnny99xx
22-09-10, 14:36
Thanks a lot Pooface,

this is exactly what I needed to know
Buy a cable modem wireless router, put the cable modem in to the router, and either buy a compatible wireless adapter for the router and connect wirelessly

cheers
Johnny

pooface
22-09-10, 14:45
Thanks a lot Pooface,

this is exactly what I needed to know
Buy a cable modem wireless router, put the cable modem in to the router, and either buy a compatible wireless adapter for the router and connect wirelessly

cheers
Johnny

I imagine that that is the case... I don't have cable myself, and never used it... But from what I understand, you just get a modem, which then either plugs via usb or ethernet to your pc. You will need one that connects via ethernet. Also, from what I understand, you might have to clone the mac address of your pc to the router...

Sicilian
22-09-10, 16:52
I imagine that that is the case... I don't have cable myself, and never used it... But from what I understand, you just get a modem, which then either plugs via usb or ethernet to your pc. You will need one that connects via ethernet. Also, from what I understand, you might have to clone the mac address of your pc to the router...

No need to clone macs anymore to access cable modem, that was stopped years ago.

Having quickly read whats been posted, I'd personally leave you modem where its, but a cheap router and a set of homeplugs to connect your Duo to the internet.

johnny99xx
23-09-10, 12:13
No need to clone macs anymore to access cable modem, that was stopped years ago.

Having quickly read whats been posted, I'd personally leave you modem where its, but a cheap router and a set of homeplugs to connect your Duo to the internet.
Sicilian,
mate, is homeplugs only for BT? as my cable provider is virgin

johnny99xx
23-09-10, 12:55
sorry, bit impatient/frustrated, found loads of homeplugs on PC world site, I'll buy one when the new VIX image supports wifi

Sicilian
23-09-10, 20:14
sorry, bit impatient/frustrated, found loads of homeplugs on PC world site, I'll buy one when the new VIX image supports wifi

homeplugs dont work on wifi. They use you home's ringmain. One plugs in near your router and network cable plugs into the router. The second a socket near your receiver with a network cable coming from the plug to the receiver.

sonc
24-09-10, 12:41
Sicilian,
mate, is homeplugs only for BT? as my cable provider is virgin

homeplugs are nothing to do with your broadband provider. they allow you to use the existing electrical wiring of your house to send data between 2 homeplugs. My duo is connected to one homeplug downstairs, the other homeplug is connected to my router upstairs. My virgin cable modem is also attached to the router. This allows the duo to access the internet without needing wifi, or a long ethernet cable trailing up the stairs.

MyB5
24-09-10, 13:23
homeplugs are nothing to do with your broadband provider. they allow you to use the existing electrical wiring of your house to send data between 2 homeplugs. My duo is connected to one homeplug downstairs, the other homeplug is connected to my router upstairs. My virgin cable modem is also attached to the router. This allows the duo to access the internet without needing wifi, or a long ethernet cable trailing up the stairs.

Yes, correct. It's great stuff! I tested both Netgear and ZyXEL, both working perfectly...

Stanman
24-09-10, 19:16

Steer clear of those highway man. You can get comtrend ones for £30 for a pair on fleabay

pooface
24-09-10, 22:47
I have a pair of MSI 85mbps Homeplugs which I might be looking to shift if you're interested...

Let me know, and I'll post in the classifieds :D

johnny99xx
25-09-10, 16:26
thank you all so much, Im a noobie on homeplugs, routers etc
thanks for including brangs as well
I'll order one of fleabay today!!!