PDA

View Full Version : Can't get VIX working on my Solo

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 11:26
Hello,

I've been on here a while ago with this issue without a solution so I'm trying again.

I bought an original (not a clone I hope) Solo from here (WOS) about six weeks ago with VTI pre-installed. I want to try VIX but every time I flash it I get no response afterwards and end up flashing back to VTI.

I have a FAT32 memory stick
The latest VIX: openvix-3.0.482-vusolo_usb
I've unzipped it and put the folders and files on the stick
Plugged it into the box
Reset at the back and waited for the flashing green light
Removed the stick and reset — NOTHING HAPPENS!

Somebody mentioned flashing the bootloader — I don't know how to do that — can anyone explain?

Thanks.

mickyblueys
06-12-12, 11:34
In the same way you flash the image but instead of putting the image on the root of the USB, you download the latest bootloader and place that on to the USB.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 11:38
So I should just have 'kernel_cfe_auto' on the root of the USB?

irishchris
06-12-12, 11:49
should have the latest bootloader if purchased recently. try different usb stick i have found differences in differebt brands.
also have uou any other usb stick inserted in rear of yohr solo. if so remove it, place usb stick with extracted image on it in front usb slot and power off and on

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

mickyblueys
06-12-12, 11:49
On my duo it had to go into a folder called vuplus. I think it would be the same for you..... But id wait for confirmation from a mod or another solo owner

irishchris
06-12-12, 12:01
once extracted there will be a folder called vuplus with a subfolder called solo containing the flash files

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 12:11
Let's take this slowly... On my USB stick (FAT32) I have:

>vuplus
>solo
- imageversion
- kernel_cfe_auto.bin
- reboot.update
- root_cfe_auto.jffs2

I put that in the front and press reset then wait for the green flashing light.

There's a hdd plugged in the back — should I remove it?

Larry-G
06-12-12, 12:34

>vuplus
>solo
- imageversion
- kernel_cfe_auto.bin
- reboot.update
- root_cfe_auto.jffs2

Yes remove all USB devices including HDD's, prior to attempting to flash the receiver.

irishchris
06-12-12, 12:39

>vuplus
>solo
- imageversion
- kernel_cfe_auto.bin
- reboot.update
- root_cfe_auto.jffs2

yes remove all usb devices as it wont recognise stick on many occasions if alternative usb device is inserted

EDIT: looks like pheonix beat me to it again lol :) i really should press refresh on tapatalk

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 12:44
Ok, I've just reflashed it without the hdd plugged in and there's no response from the box — this is really depressing — I wish I'd bought it with VIX preinstalled as was one of the options.

Could it be the bootloader?

judge
06-12-12, 12:51
It's not the bootloader, try another USB stick.
However, I never have any issues with multiple USB sticks in various formats on my Solos.

Mr. Mister
06-12-12, 13:01
When you say no response from the box..

What colour are the led light on the front of the box.. and what are they doing.. Flashing.. ? Steady.. ??

how long did you wait until deciding that nothing was working.. ?

Also.. Did you download the image from HERE (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/).. ??

If yes.. then i would download a fresh image download from the above link.. and try again.. Dont forget to format your usb again in FAT32..

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 13:02
I formatted the stick to FAT32 on my Mac, I'll reformat it with Windows and see if that helps.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 13:52
Now tried three USB sticks with same result. Should the box be power cycled after flashing or just reset at the back?

judge
06-12-12, 13:54
Either will do it although I usually pull the plug before sticking the USB stick with image on it in.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 13:57
When you say no response from the box..

What colour are the led light on the front of the box.. and what are they doing.. Flashing.. ? Steady.. ??

how long did you wait until deciding that nothing was working.. ?

Also.. Did you download the image from HERE (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo/).. ??

If yes.. then i would download a fresh image download from the above link.. and try again.. Dont forget to format your usb again in FAT32..

I've tried three different cards with the image downloaded from the link you've given.

I insert the stick
Press reset
The USB stick flashes
The led on the Solo goes orange then red then orange then flashes green
I remove the stick and press reset
I get a solid green led on the Solo and nothing else happens

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 14:02
By the way, thanks everybody who's tried to help so far, I appreciate your efforts.

judge
06-12-12, 14:03
It sounds like it has flashed so, how long does the flashing red light go on for?
When you reboot it after flashing, do any of the menu options work?

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 14:09
The red led stays solid for a few seconds during the flashing.

It won't reboot — just sits there with a green solid LED.

judge
06-12-12, 14:13
hasn't flashed so...
mine flashes red for a minute or two while the image flash is taking place.
try formatting your USB in another PC if you can.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 14:15
I should add that it's on HDMI2 on my Samsung TV and that isn't selectable after flashing... ie... no input signal from the Solo.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 14:19
I've tried three sticks formatted to FAT32 by a Mac and a PC all with the same result.

I tell you what I'll do... I'll make a quick YouTube clip and post a link here in case I'm doing something stupid.

Give me an hour, or so.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 14:46
I've tried three sticks formatted to FAT32 by a Mac and a PC all with the same result.

I tell you what I'll do... I'll make a quick YouTube clip and post a link here in case I'm doing something stupid.

Give me an hour, or so.

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 15:27
Here you go — sorry about the low quality video — did it straight from iMovie which is shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcg8C0NaLyY

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 15:59
And here's a higher quality version of that video: http://youtu.be/VvP8wgv22Zg

wrigley
06-12-12, 18:49
when i flash my solo i disconet the power first then plug the usb in front and then re power up and leave it for about 10 mins and when i go back green light is flashing i then turn it off again by plug and then remove usb stick then i re power at plug doing it that way hasnt failed for me yet

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 19:29
Have you ever had the problem I've had?

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 21:32
Ok, tried it again with full power down before and after flashing with the same result.

Guess I'd better get in touch with the bloke who runs WOS who sold it to me.

Very disappointed and hope this can be resolved.

Donnie
06-12-12, 21:42
When you extract the VIX image to USB do you have a folder called vuplus ?

Stanman
06-12-12, 21:43
These are the flashing instructions for the SOLO

files go in a vuplus/solo directory from the root of the USB stick. You then put the USB stick in the front USB port on the SOLO, then turn on mains power and you should get:

ORANGE/RED LIGHT (CONSTANT) IN ROUND DISPLAY WINDOW - LED LIGHT FLASHING ON USB STICK (if yours has an LED)

after a min or two you'll then get

ORANGE/RED LIGHT FLASH IN ROUND DISPLAY WINDOW - NO FLASHING FROM LED ON USB STICK

then just a short while later

GREEN LED FLASHING IN ROUND DISPLAY WINDOW - NO FLASHING FROM LED ON USB

That's it, you can now remove the USB stick and turn the mains power off then back on. Once you turn the power back on again the green LED in the display window should be constant and it'll just be a black screen on the TV, you must wait a good while now, longer than you'd imagine, then eventually the VU+ setup wizard screen will appear and you are good to go!

Some people have reported success using these format tools

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

or even this one

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3055-Fat32-format-tool-for-USB-Pens&highlight=format+tool

jimbolgs
06-12-12, 22:30
That's it, you can now remove the USB stick and turn the mains power off then back on. Once you turn the power back on again the green LED in the display window should be constant and it'll just be a black screen on the TV, you must wait a good while now, longer than you'd imagine, then eventually the VU+ setup wizard screen will appear and you are good to go!

Thanks Stanman, I'll try it again tomorrow — I've had enough for today but your description of light sequences is exactly what's happening so it looks like I'm just not waiting long enough after flashing.

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread so far.

s1m0nw
06-12-12, 22:39
how are you powering box off at back if its a solo?

One thing i noticed is if you get a steady green but a light flashing on usb let the light on usb steady then see if it has flashed.... this happened and worked for me a while back.

Mr. Mister
06-12-12, 22:43
You will know when your solo has finished flashing when you see a green led light flashing on the front of the solo..

Are you getting this.. ?

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 00:03
Yes — flashing green light on solo (see video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvP8wgv22Zg&feature=youtu.be)).

Powering off with a remote controlled mains socket.

judge
07-12-12, 00:17
If you got the box from the site sponsor, you can be sure it's an original box.
I have 2 solos, one two years old, the other 7 months old, both have been flashed 100's of times without issue.
Can you get any working image on the box now?
If so, try formatting the USB stick using the box rather than your mac.
All usb sticks I use, formatted by the box or on windows, linux have never failed me.
Also, have you tried downloading the image again? maybe your download is corrupt?

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 13:32
Ok, last night I flashed it and left it all night with the solid green light but this morning — nothing.

The guy from WOS who sold me the box suggested formatting my cards with this: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool

I've tried three different ones — all the same result — nothing.

Yet it flashes back to VTI with no problem whatsoever.

Completely baffled now.

Any of you live anywhere near Southport? :)

PS... I even tried using the Solo to format the card — nothing :mad:

irishchris
07-12-12, 14:33
have you been trying it just with one build? have you removed all usb itema eg wireless adaptor, usb storage etc.
try downloading latest build and following above steps again. i know its frustrating but we will get it to come good in end :)

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 14:44
I've tried the latest three builds — formatting the card each time.

The WOS guy replied with some suggestions which didn't work so I've asked him to send me a USB stick with VIX which he's tested and is working.

I await his response.

Larry-G
07-12-12, 14:53
What version of VTI is currently on the receiver ?. and have you tried any other Kernel 3.1.1 based images such as Black hole 1.7.8 or the newer AAF / Sif Team images ?.

Basically i'm trying to establish if you need to flash the latest bootloader or not.

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 15:16
VTI is 4.2.4

Not tried Blackhole or any other.

Larry-G
07-12-12, 15:33
VTI is 4.2.4

Not tried Blackhole or any other.

well that version should mean that it does not need the bootloader, I would try another 3.1.1 kernel based image such as BH just to make sure they load. you could also just bite the bullet and flash the bootloader but be careful if you do as that is akin to a bios flash on a PC and if it goes wrong it can kill the box.

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 15:48
Just flashed it to Blackhole 1.7.8 successfully although halfway through the wizard I switched it off and have gone back to VTI because the missus just got up (she's been on nights).

pooface
07-12-12, 15:53
jim, do you have a serial cable that you can connect to a pc whilst you are flashing, and use putty to be able to create a boot log? This should show us the problems you appear to be having whilst trying to flash...

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 16:01
No, I don't, sorry. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which just has USB etc. I am running Parallels for windows stuff but I have no serial port.

pooface
07-12-12, 16:15
No, I don't, sorry. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which just has USB etc. I am running Parallels for windows stuff but I have no serial port.

OK, no prob. Just that it would work perfectly to give us an idea of how to get it sorted. Running osx here, and use coolterm (andy prefer zterm, but I think coolterm is a bit better :p). All you need is a usb -> serial adapter. Sponser sells em for £7. But I understand you not wanting to get one for a one off :p Personally, I just borrowed one from work :p

But, if you can flash all the others, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to flash vix. You are defintely download the solo image, not duo etc? And it still has the same folder layout?

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 16:22

Here's my folder layout.

pooface
07-12-12, 16:23
And I am correct in assuming you copy only the vuplus folder, and it's contents in that format, to the root of the usb stick (daft question, but just making sure :p)

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 17:16
Yeah, that's all. I showed the lot here to demonstrate the versions I've tried.

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 17:17
Don't suppose it might make any difference flashing it via the rear USB???? Is that possible?

Larry-G
07-12-12, 18:28
Don't suppose it might make any difference flashing it via the rear USB???? Is that possible?

would not hurt to try it.

pooface
07-12-12, 18:40

I have heard some people say they only managed to flash it when flashing from the rear... So it might work

Sent from my iPad using that Tapatalk thingy

Stanman
07-12-12, 19:45
You could try flashing the original image and than try VIX again. Never ever came across this before where one image flashes and another does not:confused:

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 23:05
Evening all,

Thanks for all your help today and the good news is it worked when flashed from the back USB. However, all I'm getting is a blank epg and 'service unavailable — check tuner config'...

So it's now a case of be careful what you wish for!

Should iDreamX work with VIX? I sent a set of bouquets to the box but when I get from the box it just says in the channels window 'Have a lot of bugs!'.

I have CCcam working and my config file is in place.

I let it auto scan and it found 974 channels.

My tuner is set to: Simple, Single, Eutelsat 28A, No

I'm new to all this if you hadn't guessed — but learning.

Cheers!

judge
07-12-12, 23:18
Glad you finally got it working, no idea why you had to use rear USB as I always use front in both my solos.
What build did you flash in the end?
iDreamX should work, haven't seen any issues reported that it isn't.
After you load the new channel bouquets, hit the TV button on the remote to load them.
You will also find those channels found when doing a manual scan in your last scanned bouquet.

jimbolgs
07-12-12, 23:40
Ah, great. I see how to find the bouquets now using the TV button but there are no channel names and all I'm getting is:

service unavailable — check tuner config

Are there any plugins I need to install to get it working?

judge
08-12-12, 00:30
No plugins needed, the last scanned bouquet will show everything picked up on the last scan.
Scroll down to see named channels.
Other than that, use a bouquet editor to upload channel lists.
Any recent ones, such as the excellent Mr. Mister ones should work perfectly fine for your UK channel listings now.

jimbolgs
08-12-12, 01:31
Flashed it again and all channels working.

Hallelujah!

irishchris
08-12-12, 02:22
knew we would get you there in the end :thumbup: now you can go enjoy watching some tv :D

Donnie
08-12-12, 08:14
There is almost a sense of relief after this marathon. Glad you got it sorted.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jimbolgs
08-12-12, 10:18
Well.... sort of. Just got up, switched it on after it had been in deep standby all night and it's not booting, not a big problem now I know how to get it working. Luckily I took a backup last night which it's automatically restored — I love VIX and congratulate all who contribute to its creation!

I have one request, though.... Is there a feature request area?

On the epg a 'Page up' / 'Page down' feature would be good. Perhaps it could be an option in the button configurations or the epg settings.

Cheers everyone.

mickyblueys
08-12-12, 10:55
Press 2 and 8 for page up and down

jimbolgs
08-12-12, 11:01
:):):):):):):):):):):):)

judge
08-12-12, 11:04
yes, and press 0 to jump back to first channel in the bouquet you are viewing...
lots of options on this screen, try all the buttons to see what they do...

Rob van der Does
08-12-12, 11:14
yes, and press 0 to jump back to first channel in the bouquet you are viewing...
lots of options on this screen, try all the buttons to see what they do...
Or push 'Help' when in G-EPG, then all options will be shown.

Shrek1802
13-01-13, 02:51
When you were flashing your solo from front USB port, did you press reset and wait a while till light on front starts to flash. Then REMOVE USB (only had my solo 2 days) and press reset at back again the first time I flashed image I was leaving the USB stick in and it just keeps reading that instead of booting up hope that helps and helps others as well.

warajoker
13-01-13, 08:25
you need to switch of the solo2 before you insert the usb stick. put the solo2 into standby then switch it of at the back. insert the usb stick into the front port and switch it back on from the back. and follow on screen instructions

Shrek1802
13-01-13, 10:43
you need to switch of the solo2 before you insert the usb stick. put the solo2 into standby then switch it of at the back. insert the usb stick into the front port and switch it back on from the back. and follow on screen instructions

I an on about the vu+ solo1 to flash my box like 5 time now and all I have done is insert USB stick with firmware on and press reset at back wait till u get a flashing light remove USB and press restart again that it no need to switch off at power socket. Try it works well for me!!

warajoker
13-01-13, 14:25
I know how to flash a box mate. But when i had my vu+uno that was the only way I could get it to work

Shrek1802
13-01-13, 18:57
I was not saying u didn't mate what my point was if u read the forums people put different ways on how to do them and it annoying they should state what box it's for instead of just saying vu+ all the same I have seen that a few times as u said that worked for you UNO that's brill but u no what I mean its like I read one when I got said wait for green light then after I did it I don't have a green light I have a blue flashing light it's purple blue and red my vu+ solo1 is. Sorry for
Confusion mate.