PDA

View Full Version : Unable to scan 28.2(E)

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 09:40
Hi Guys

I've just purchased a genuine VU+ Solo box and tried to scan for channels using the sky sat dish connected to my flat. I know that the flat had sky at some stage but the previous tenant didn't use it.

When scanning for channels I can only pick up channels from Hotbird 13.0(E) or astra 19.2(e)? when scanning on 28.2(E) i do not find anything.

The previous tenant was Polish and lots of polish channels appear when scanning the above satellites so it makes me think he may have moved the dish, can anybody confirm that this is the case and advise me on how's best to point it back at sky?

Can I simply load a sky channel list and then turn the dish until BBC 1 works?

Many thanks for any help that you provide me

Robbie

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 09:41
I should add that the dish is facing the same way as next doors dish but obviously I can't tell if it's at the exact same angle.

marty
06-12-12, 09:47
Sounds like someone needs to go and look at the dish :)
Most likely has a monoblock LNB and the dish will need moving.

Can you easily get to the dish?
If so get a couple of piccys up :thumbsup:

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 13:37
Hi Marty

Firstly, thanks very much for taking the time to help me

I can lean out of the living room window and touch the dish so yep very accessable, I will take some photos tonight and upload them. What exactly do you need to see?

what is a monoblock lnb? is this a good/bad thing? something i should look to replace?

Thanks again
Robbie

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 20:03
Hi Marty

Please find attached some photos - i have tried to get as close to the dish as i can but as you can imagine it is difficult to lean out of the window and take photos at the same time lol

also please excuse the white cable from the lnb through the window, i have no idea why the previous tenant did this but again it makes me think that he has moved the dish to watch foreign stations. You'll be pleased to know that i will soon be rerouting that cable through the wall.

thank you again for taking the time to help me

Robbie21707217082170921710217112171221713

Stanman
06-12-12, 20:07
How do you know the channels are from 13E or 19E?

If your using the latest VIX image it tells you on the info bar which sat it is.

Put one of the multisats boquuets on and see which channels you can get will give you an idea of where its pointing.

Looks to be the same direction as your neighbour but it could just be angle of pic thats distorting it and could be pointed elsewhere

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 21:01
hi stanman

i have yet to flash the box so i'm running the default image. When running the inital setup it gives me the option of which satellite to scan and by default it is set to hotbird and astra. If I keep the default settings the box finds over 2000 services and i can watch the FTA channels. however if i factory reset the box and then change the satellite to scan to astra/eurobird 28.2 no services are found.

your right, to the naked eye mine and the neighbours dish do look like they are lined up the same but how can i be sure that i'm correctly aligned?

Thanks for your help
Robbie

Stanman
06-12-12, 21:04
Simple answer, if your getting channels on either 13E / 19E than its not pointing at 28E.

This should give you an idea of which sat your on based on the channels you can get
http://en.kingofsat.net/

robbiecookie101
06-12-12, 21:36
ok thats fine - what is the best way for me to pick up the sky channels? can i simply turn the dish myself until bbc1 comes on? should i use a satellite meter ?

Rob van der Does
07-12-12, 06:32
ok thats fine - what is the best way for me to pick up the sky channels? can i simply turn the dish myself until bbc1 comes on? should i use a satellite meter ?

i would put a channel file for uk on the box
get a tv where you can see the pic and move the dish round the pole and up and down untill pic comes in
get as strong a signa as you can and lock it up again
In ViX the skin Magic-HD is available: the screen of the build-in satfinder is extremely large, especially for that purpose.

robbiecookie101
08-12-12, 13:46
Ok so i've been up the ladder and have moved the dish slightly and now most channels are receiving about 60% signal using the default channel list.

Although i'm picking up a signal the channel doesn't show and nor do i hear any audio.

If i scan on 28.2 now i do not pick up any sky channels but i do pick up alot of french channels?

Does this mean that my dish is still not properly aligned?

i've also flashed the box and i'm using the VTI image but i still can't watch any sky channels / FTA

any ideas whats going wrong?

Larry-G
08-12-12, 14:34
Ok so i've been up the ladder and have moved the dish slightly and now most channels are receiving about 60% signal using the default channel list.

Although i'm picking up a signal the channel doesn't show and nor do i hear any audio.

If i scan on 28.2 now i do not pick up any sky channels but i do pick up alot of french channels?

Does this mean that my dish is still not properly aligned?

i've also flashed the box and i'm using the VTI image but i still can't watch any sky channels / FTA

any ideas whats going wrong?

If your getting French channels your probably pointing towards 19.2 east not sky which is 28.2 east.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stanman
08-12-12, 16:24
Your best best is to go on to dishpointerdotcom and put in your postcode andvselectb28.2E this will give a visual indication f where you need to point for the sat.

robbiecookie101
08-12-12, 19:15
Your best best is to go on to dishpointerdotcom and put in your postcode andvselectb28.2E this will give a visual indication f where you need to point for the sat.

thankyou stanman that helped me alot. I can now pickup uk channels ! however i'm not finding all of them for example, i can find sky sports 2 but not 1/3/f1 etc. lots of other channels missing too but every channel i have found has pretty strong signal and is playing fine.

does this mean the dish is still slightly out?

Stanman
08-12-12, 20:45
No mate, if your getting in the high 80 - 90 and box is not a very good indicator of signal strenght, than your alignment is fine.

I would upload a new satellite.xml from here

http://satellites-xml.org/

and than do another scan. If channels move around or change TP etc you can lose them and its always a good idea to update the sat.xml around every month.

robbiecookie101
09-12-12, 19:31
Hi Stanman

I've played around a bit more today.

Firstly I did try to update the satellites.xml file - the next scan did find more channels but i still had certain channels missing.

I've again tried moving the dish and after 2 more scans I have found more channels then I had previously but still some channels, sky sports & movies are most noticeable are missing.

I've spoken to a friend of a friend who is a sky engineer and he thinks the dish is just out of alignment but he has no experiance in any other sat receivers so can't rule out the box.

Is there anything else i can try to do before hes able to come round next weekend to check the position of the dish?

Thanks for all your help mate - even though some channels are missing i am really enjoying getting the most out of this fantastic box.

Cheers
Robbie

marty
09-12-12, 19:35

Best to use a meter but it can be done without one. The trick is SMALL movements!!! it isn't a TV antenna ;)
You will need to turn the dish to the left and DOWN but as I said a little at a time :thumbsup:
Once you get a picture you can fine tune it with the boxes signal strength meter :)

marty
09-12-12, 19:38
I've spoken to a friend of a friend who is a sky engineer and he thinks the dish is just out of alignment but he has no experiance in any other sat receivers so can't rule out the box.

The box has nothing to do with what direction the dish is pointed at :D (for a static dish that is)
If he can setup the dish your box will work no bother :thumbsup:
I've come across a few of these so called 'engineers' don't take too much notice on what they say :p

Rob van der Does
09-12-12, 19:40
The box has nothing to do with what direction the dish is pointed at :D (for a static dish that is)
If he can setup the dish your box will work no bother :thumbsup:
I've come across a few of these so called 'engineers' don't take too much notice on what they say :p
Hehe, I was about to say the same :D

Alec
09-12-12, 20:31
Hi Stanman

I've played around a bit more today.

Firstly I did try to update the satellites.xml file - the next scan did find more channels but i still had certain channels missing.

I've again tried moving the dish and after 2 more scans I have found more channels then I had previously but still some channels, sky sports & movies are most noticeable are missing.

Is there anything else i can try to do before hes able to come round next weekend to check the position of the dish?

Thanks for all your help mate - even though some channels are missing i am really enjoying getting the most out of this fantastic box.

Cheers
Robbie
In the positioner set up you can manually put the service or channel data in, and use the SNR signal, for a locked and best reading, when adjusting dish, also the LNB might need adjusting. Once you have the best signal.
Go to manual scan and put the same service data in,once it has scanned, it should only take minutes. You should be able to receive it okay.

Stanman
09-12-12, 20:55
Which channels are you missing as some channels such as BBC 3/4 or broadcast at certain times.

There was a list on the site of the weakest transponders on each sat and imho if you are getting this than alignment is not an issue.

28.2E you would have to be very badly aligned in the UK to miss out loads of channels.

fixed a couple of these and as a reference used next door neighbours and than the signal meter on a sly box.

If I was you would try and see if you can borrow one to check out the signal strength or ideally buy one of these

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Finders-Meters

robbiecookie101
13-12-12, 09:29
Hi All

Firstly thank you for all your input and advice

This is the new situation.

I've been moving the dish tiny amounts and have now picked up more channels - most important I have all the sports :D - ss1 hd is getting around 24% signal so i still think the dish isn't quite right but I'm putting up with it for a couple of weeks until my friend can align the dish correctly.

In the meantime i've loaded the catseye channel listing however I can't watch any of the channels within the 28.2 section - every single channel is greyed out and says 'check tuner configuration' however when I do a manual scan on 28.2 i can watch every channel it finds (even though i'm still missing a few)

Any idea how I can get round this as it's much nicer to just have 1 bbc1 to choose from rather then 20 lol.

Also my EPG isn't working that well - if i go through every channel and then bring up the epg all the epg loads - if i just simply watch bbc1 for a good hour then go on the epg only a few channels have there epg data.

Finally - i'm looking to record to a network share but my shared drive isn't mounting, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot why this is? i've created the share and have provided a username and password but it doesn't connect?

Many thanks for helping me guys - i'm slowly getting the perfect setup! :D

Stanman
13-12-12, 21:14
In the meantime what you could do is change your lat and long to see if you can get a better reception