PDA

View Full Version : Snow Starts To Fall As Britain Shivers

bassethound
01-12-12, 12:34
A dusting of snow has fallen across parts of the UK, with more predicted over this weekend.

It is in contrast to the torrential rain and windy weather which played havoc in some parts of the Midlands and in North Wales at the start of the week.

Around 1cm of snow has settled in parts of northern England and Scotland, including Cumbria, Teesside and County Durham, while 2.5cm has covered the Pennines and the Southern Uplands.

In the midlands, southern England and Wales temperatures are below freezing, and as low as -5C in some areas.

The frosty weather is expected to last for the next few days, with more snow predicted in the north and Scotland tomorrow night.

The freezing temperatures have brought with them a risk of ice, following the recent heavy rainfall.

The Met Office issued a low-level warning of severe weather, affecting much of the UK for the morning.

It said: "Due to the recent wet weather there is an increased risk of icy patches, even on roads that have been treated with salt, where water run off/seepage may wash off any earlier salt treatment.

"The public should be aware of the risk of ice on roads and pavements."

Sky News weather presenter Jo Wheeler said: "For much of the day, it will be sunny for most.

"Snow showers will continue to run into northern and eastern Scotland, and may occasionally run into North Sea coasts.

"Top temperatures will reach 5 or 6 Celsius. In western parts, cloud will increase and temperatures will rise as rain spreads off the Atlantic.

"Progress will be slow, however, and it will be Sunday before that rain makes much impact on mainland UK, by which time, there is the risk of seeing some snow on the leading edge.

"For the bulk of the country, there will be a fine end to the day followed by a cold and frosty night, and a bright start to Sunday morning."

Stanman
01-12-12, 12:36
Bring on the snow:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Larry-G
01-12-12, 12:36
LMAO it would snow as i have a fortnight off work from tomorrow.

bassethound
01-12-12, 12:40
Clear blue sky here in the NW but bitterly cold

Larry-G
01-12-12, 12:42
Clear blue sky here in the NW but bitterly cold

same here in the north east for the now.

not looking forward to driving home tonight as my route takes me through shotton and there's going to be a large national front protest march there sometime later.

tonyvix
01-12-12, 13:58
[QUOTE=bassethound;176413]A dusting of snow has fallen across parts of the UK, with more predicted over this weekend.

You certainly know how to cheer a guy up !!

Where's that bottle:eek::eek:

s31teg
01-12-12, 15:32
i cant wait for the snow in the NE, normal get loads around mine, also heading up glenshee as soon as its covered!

Larry-G
01-12-12, 15:35
i cant wait for the snow in the NE, normal get loads around mine, also heading up glenshee as soon as its covered!

LOL, i live about quarter of a mile from the highest point in County Durham, just outside of Durham City it self and we always get a good covering.

Mr. Mister
01-12-12, 15:45
LOL, i live about quarter of a mile from the highest point in County Durham, just outside of Durham City it self and we always get a good covering.

Fecking Eskimo`s.. :D:D

s31teg
01-12-12, 15:56

aye its canny high here, 240 meters to be exact, plenty of snow on the way................. hopefully

saxon
02-12-12, 10:49
same here love it sat here heating on nice toweling robe snug as a bug in a rug very clear Blue skies here in manchester just a lot of frost at the moment

bassethound
02-12-12, 10:52
Its a very bright sunny day here today but very cold and frosty giving the car-boot a miss today and staying in BBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRR

Larry-G
02-12-12, 11:07
fecking wimps, your supposed to be northerners. we northerners like the cold, hell if it gets over 10°C i start sweating lol.

stick50jr
02-12-12, 11:30
If only... after a few days of 40+C (max'd out at 45.5C) we have been given a short respite with a violent electrical storm and a very humid (but very little rain) day with a 32C maximum. We will be back to 40C at the end of the week!

irishchris
02-12-12, 11:39
If only... after a few days of 40+C (max'd out at 45.5C) we have been given a short respite with a violent electrical storm and a very humid (but very little rain) day with a 32C maximum. We will be back to 40C at the end of the week!

think i would rather the cold. i would literally bake if i had to survive that heat constantly :eek:

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2

judge
02-12-12, 11:42
nah, give me the heat anyday...

Conaxthewarrior
02-12-12, 12:14
Woke up here in east jutland Denmark this morning to see my car covered in snow - at least 2cm all over, so the UK's not alone in being snowed under. Hope all this snow isn't a sign of a bad winter to come.

Mr. Mister
02-12-12, 12:37
Heaven.. Pure and simple.. I would love to have that all year round..

This cold we having at the minute kills me..

Stanman
02-12-12, 17:07
Heaven.. Pure and simple.. I would love to have that all year round..

This cold we having at the minute kills me..
No you would not unless the sea was on your doorstep, I was in Dubai and it was 48+ and it was unbearable outside. The short hop from taxi to hotel and I was tacky all over

Mr. Mister
02-12-12, 17:21
No you would not unless the sea was on your doorstep, I was in Dubai and it was 48+ and it was unbearable outside. The short hop from taxi to hotel and I was tacky all over

I know what you mean there.. I spent a few weeks in Oman 3 years ago.. and it was 50+.. But i loved it..

Best place i ever been on holiday..

Conaxthewarrior
02-12-12, 19:44
Huh! One week on the canery island of fuerteventura last march-first day by the pool & I got so sun burnt I had to stay indoors for the remaining time, couldnt come out in to uv light, even on a cloudy day...nåh its Brighton & fish n chips for me next time:cool: