PDA

View Full Version : Router trouble with my Duo

tonyvix
01-12-12, 09:52
Hi all,

Thinking of changing my BT Homehub as I am suffering from connection dropout. Maybe 1-2 times per day. Googling reveals that this seem relatively common for 4 year old hubs. Have tried changing channels on hub to no avail.

If I replace the router is it a case of plug and go or would the new one require setting up.

Would my IP address and port numbers remain the same ?

Thanks.

punisher
01-12-12, 10:46
You will have to reconfigure ur new router and the port forwarding again on your new router.

Stanman
01-12-12, 12:37
If its a Fibre HH, you will need the facier one unless you have a modem for the Fiber in which case any WAN router will do such as the Netgear WNR2000.

If its a BB than I would suggest getting one of the unlocked Sagem grey ex Sky. I am TT and had disconnects with the crap they supply and used this and connection was rock solid with same levell of noise on the line etc.

You might want to get BT to do a line check as your line may have a fault / deteriorated.

tonyvix
01-12-12, 13:27
If its a Fibre HH, you will need the facier one unless you have a modem for the Fiber in which case any WAN router will do such as the Netgear WNR2000.

If its a BB than I would suggest getting one of the unlocked Sagem grey ex Sky. I am TT and had disconnects with the crap they supply and used this and connection was rock solid with same levell of noise on the line etc.

You might want to get BT to do a line check as your line may have a fault / deteriorated.

Hi Stanman,

Its just a standard BT Broadband...not Infinity. Download speed 6Mb.

Was thinking of a Belkin N 300mps New on a Well known auction site for about £20 ?

Regards

Stanman
01-12-12, 20:07
This is what I have / Used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Wireless-Internet-Router-Sagem-Plus-Cables-/150953751588?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item23258b7424

Software is on the net on how to unlock it to standard sagem and can than update firmware.

It was rock solid at maintaining a connection when the huweii TT give would drop out.

tonyvix
01-12-12, 23:19
This is what I have / Used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Wireless-Internet-Router-Sagem-Plus-Cables-/150953751588?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item23258b7424

Software is on the net on how to unlock it to standard sagem and can than update firmware.

Is there much involved in unlocking it ?

Stanman
02-12-12, 11:15
No mate, its a piece of cake as long as you can navigate a pc and follow some simple instructions, you will need a Windows XP installation. I did mine ages ago before moving to fibre so not sure if he software has been migrated .

tonyvix
03-12-12, 11:48
you will need a Windows XP installation.

That was a no no for me. I have Vista and Seven Premium......so bought this for £17.25 inc. del an 2yr warranty