PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Bootloaders

abu baniaz
27-11-12, 16:52
Is it possible to identify which bootloader a person is using? If so how? (Excluding the rs232 logging tool).

If not currently possible, is it theoretically possible to add some kind of description while it boots?

Thanks in advance.

Larry-G
27-11-12, 16:57
Is it possible to identify which bootloader a person is using? If so how? (Excluding the rs232 logging tool).

If not currently possible, is it theoretically possible to add some kind of description while it boots?

Thanks in advance.

I dont beleive so, you would have to generate a bootlog with a rs232 cable and the putty program. I Could be wrong however.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 17:20
Correct: a bootlog will show some info about the bootloader.

abu baniaz
27-11-12, 19:02
I suppose when in doubt, install latest one.

It would be nice if someone in a position to do so could ask the Koreans if they can add some identifying code that could be picked up in debug/crash logs or even during bootup.

Larry-G
27-11-12, 19:10
This is not a receiver specific problem it's the same among every STB. the only way to retrieve this info is via a bootlog generated using a RS232 cable and a putty session. as far as i know there is no other way to output this data while the box is actually running. again i could be wrong on that though.

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 19:29
You're again correct Pheonix :eek:

Larry-G
27-11-12, 19:32
You're again correct Pheonix :eek:

~ insert expletive here ~ ,me being rite twice in a row in the same thread ? something wrong there somewhere LOL.

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 19:33
~ insert expletive here ~ ,me being rite twice in a row in the same thread ? something wrong there somewhere LOL.
Good to see we agree here :D

Larry-G
27-11-12, 19:34
good to see we agree here :d

no comment.

Mr. Mister
27-11-12, 19:38

Some people would start to call you a smart arse.. lmao

Larry-G
27-11-12, 19:40
Some people would start to call you a smart arse.. lmao

been called far worse LOL.

( waits for the telling off for taking this thread off topic again ).

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 19:53
Guys, can we please stay on topic :p

scruff1963
27-11-12, 20:20
Having a way of identifying the bootloader would be a good idea.

The new 4d image has a bootloader with it which is a good idea now but a few months down the line it will be putting it on to boxes possibly overwriting what will be the current bootloader then.

It may seem a good idea now but it's not future proof and very short sighted.

It's the main reason I havn't bothered to try the 4d image, if they are not looking to the future then how much attention have they paid to the image itself.

abu baniaz
01-12-12, 17:04
I'd like to disagree with the comments made so far about being unable to display details.

Reason being is that the text that appears before flashing an image has changed several times. It should therefore be possible to add some text during the boot stage. A simple version description is that is required. Such as "Boot v 2.56"

Larry-G
01-12-12, 17:13
I'd like to disagree with the comments made so far about being unable to display details.

Reason being is that the text that appears before flashing an image has changed several times. It should therefore be possible to add some text during the boot stage. A simple version description is that is required. Such as "Boot v 2.56"

There is currently no way of reading from the bootloader to display bootloader details in any form while the receiver is running, this data can only be accessed during the initial bootup and only via a putty / rs232 bootlog via a connected computer. The text that displays before, during or after flashing a image has nothing to do with bootloader details.

Rob van der Does
01-12-12, 18:23
All that happens at that stage is done by the bootloader. So if you have any specific wishes, you should ask the box manufacturer.

Not sure however what the benefit of that would be: you know that you updated the bootloader, and when a new one comes out uou update again; so it provides no real info at all.

abu baniaz
01-12-12, 18:40
Many thanks. No problem. The success of the Twin is mainly because of the Vix team getting things done. Left to the manufacturer, it would not be where it is now.

It's not about me, but about the community and other users in general. One person recently said "which suggests I still had {an} old bootloader". Having details displayed would mean that there is no ambiguity. As said before, when in doubt, flash the latest bootloader.

abu baniaz
04-07-13, 22:56
Sorrry to drag an old thread....

Could someone with a few minutes to spare compare the rs232 bootlogs using the bootloader on the Vix site (checksum of cfe.bin 28b962603b47d629cf4fa15d51fd63d0 with the one that 4D (checksum of cfe.bin 77ac0c49036968768e0392dc0432d246) use. I would really appreciate knowing if it is just my receiver that responds differntly.

I submitted a request to TM to make sure that there is only one bootloader in circulation. I suggested to them that the one that their coders are using is different to the ones that the VIX team and the few other teams are using. This is because the cfe.bin files have different checksums. They said that the reason for the differnt checksums was because of the names in the bin files.

I also said that there are a few differences, but they said this is not the case.

I found the following differences on my Twin, (not that I know if there are any implifications). This is a genuine query to see if only my receiver responds differently.

IQON/4D

Detected MIPS clock frequency: 404 MHz (202.497 MHz counter)

VIX ONE

Detected MIPS clock frequency: 404 MHz (202.499 MHz counter)

IQON/4D

MEMC-00000001 RW=0000000E WW=00000045 G=00000001 R=00000008 W=00000006 #$

VIX ONE

MEMC-00000001 RW=0000000F WW=00000041 G=00000001 R=00000008 W=00000006 #$