PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mount external USB drive's second partition

myself01
26-11-12, 11:48
Hi,

I updated my TM-Twin with the image posted with the name 'TM-TWIN TMSW-OpenViX-BACKUP-dd-20121026' (posted on XXXXX).

I first updated the bootloader and then installed the VIX image. Everything seems to work fine except that my the sat receiver cannot seem to mount the 2nd partition on my 1TB external USB HDD. It was formatted NTFS. The first partition was FAT32 and that worked fine (but I didn't want to use FAT32 as it has 4GB filesize limit). The same HDD was working fine earlier with the 4d image which was earlier installed on the TM-Twin box.

After some searching on the web, I saw the instruction to install the ntfs-util package for the VIX which I did. I also formatted the first partition and converted that to NTFS (hoping that the TM-Twin would mount that being the first partition)

What's happenning now is that the box does not even boots up if I connect the HDD (as I have created two partitions on my HDD and both and NTFS formatted. It just says 'Booting...' and nothing else.

If I disconnect the HDD, then the box boots and works fine.

Can anybody help on this.

Regards,

judge
26-11-12, 12:27
Can you try with the latest version posted here, http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/
These are the only VIX images we support.

myself01
26-11-12, 13:23
Sure. I will try that tonight and will let you guys know.

Sicilian
26-11-12, 14:28
I've removed the link to backup image, most the time they're more hassle than they're worth.

myself01
27-11-12, 10:32
Hi,

I installed the latest build of Vix on my TM-Twin but had the same issue.

It installed fine and I got everything working - as long as I didn't connect my external HDD to it.

After connecting the HDD, it couldn't mount either of the two NTFS partitions. So I rebooted the box and it got stuck at 'Booting...' and I could see the lights of my HDD blinking, meaning it was trying to read it. As soon as I removed the HDD it worked fine. I also installed the ntfs-3g (also known as ntfs-util) but that didn't work either. There was no error, no crashing of any sort - but the box would simply not work with my HDD.

After spending a lot of time, I installed the latest 4D image and like magic it worked without any issues !!!.

So I've switched back to 4D image for now.

Would you have any ideas of why something like this would happen?

Regards

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 10:37
After connecting the HDD, it couldn't mount either of the two NTFS partitions.
NTFS is not a native Linux format. But if you install the NTFS utilities they work flawless. For your comfort the tools are available via the feeds.