PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Media player on OpenVix issues

sjaddy
25-11-12, 23:26
Hi there - have the latest OpenVix version on Vu+Duo and have noticed that the last 2 or 3 builds have caused a problem with the media player.

I play my mkv's from one of two sources
-hp server
-synology nas server

both have shares mounted on the vu+ perfectly.

I can browse the shares/subfolders and start the mkv's playing absolutely fine. The problem comes when I either pause the mkv for about 5 minutes or so (enough time to go get a cup of tea), when I come back and hit play the box normally freezes up and leaves the spinning Vix logo in the top left. If I sit down and watch the mkv from start to finish without pausing/stopping it is also fine.

This leads on to the second problem. I then need to cycle power the vu+ using the power rocker on the back of the vu+. When I go back to watch the mkv I was just watching it starts from the beginning (because it wasn't stopped properly it doesn't know where I had got to). If I try to fast forward and then jump any time forward (for example 10 minutes) the box again freezes and I have to cycle power to get it back.

This problem has only just started on the last 3 builds or so and it is all mkv's.

I can play them flawlessly over the network to PC's or to WDTV live box so I am 98% sure it isn't the network location that is causing the problem.

Rob van der Does
26-11-12, 07:37
There are indeed problems in that area and it's being worked on.

dfdream
26-11-12, 08:20
Rob Ive seen a deterioration or media playback from version 405.
I would watch avis and various other formats all the time without issue but notice that since 405 that I would get glitches and freezes.
Sometimes having to restart the box.
Also if the film did happen to play OK I would be garaunteed that I would have issues with recordings or recordings playback later.

Also I have noticed that my DTT USB tuner isnt as reliable as it was with pre 405 versions. Its back to its old ways of freezing and black screen with DTT recording failing...

HAs something changed in this area....

sjaddy
26-11-12, 17:40
Rob - many thanks for the confirmation there are problems, I was trying to explain to the missus that it wasn't my fault and my kit was fine! I will wait to see what the updates bring.

Rob van der Does
26-11-12, 17:55
If you change the MKV to an MPEG transportstream, you have a good chance that the file is playable again. If you're lucky a simple rename to .ts wil be sufficient. If not you'll have to recode the file.

Again: there's work in progress in this area.

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 14:37
In build 451 is a fix for this; please try and report back.

marty
27-11-12, 15:04
In build 451 is a fix for this; please try and report back.

I'm getting "Nothing to update" I'm on 448.

Rob van der Does
27-11-12, 18:14
I'm getting "Nothing to update" I'm on 448.
Correct: allow some time for an image to be build.... :p
Shouldn't take long now.

Larry-G
27-11-12, 18:17
as rob said it takes a little while to build and upload almost 20 separate images to the server, dont worry though it should not be too long away.

Leon65
28-11-12, 13:49
I am using build 454 and still can not forward mkv files. Also the option of starting the file from last point of view does not work.

Rob van der Does
28-11-12, 15:58
I am using build 454 and still can not forward mkv files. Also the option of starting the file from last point of view does not work.
MKV is a container and that doesn't say anything about the codecs used for the contained file. The items you name are 100% codec dependant.

Leon65
29-11-12, 15:16
It'a DTS issue. If I change DTS to AC3 everything works fine.

sjaddy
01-12-12, 09:57
hi there - have updated using the command line and am now on 464 (i think). I can now restart the mkv in the same place that i stopped it, I haven't tried fast forwarding or time jumping yet but seem to have introduced another error that appears about every 5 minutes.

any idea how I can turn this off? I looked in the logs but couldnt see any thing obvious

Rob van der Does
01-12-12, 10:22
This is a bug we are currently looking into.

sjaddy
01-12-12, 13:54
also, sorry for this, but manual scan crashes the box. when going into plugins says no satscan or positioner plugin available

Rob van der Does
01-12-12, 13:58
See here. (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23697-Problem-after-online-update-to-latest-Vix-version&p=176404&viewfull=1#post176404).

mickyblueys
05-12-12, 13:58
When watching an avi or mp4 etc...on media player when I go to fast forward it will only fast forward at 2x speed. When you select a faster speed e.g. 8x..32x this shows on display but speed doesn't actually change. This works perfectly when watching a recorded TV program .ts file.
Can this be altered by a setting on my box or is it a bug?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

andyblac
05-12-12, 18:01
When watching an avi or mp4 etc...on media player when I go to fast forward it will only fast forward at 2x speed. When you select a faster speed e.g. 8x..32x this shows on display but speed doesn't actually change. This works perfectly when watching a recorded TV program .ts file.
Can this be altered by a setting on my box or is it a bug?

what box ?, sounds like drivers issues, and that is out of our control.

mickyblueys
05-12-12, 18:54
As in my signature. I use 2 vu+duo's. On latest vix. But had this issue all the time.

mickyblueys
06-12-12, 12:03
what box ?, sounds like drivers issues, and that is out of our control.

Could any other duo owner confirm this problem...please!

Rob van der Does
06-12-12, 12:22
Could any other duo owner confirm this problem...please!
No, as we would need to have the exact file you're using. This is driver/hardware related and can't be helped by us.

mickyblueys
06-12-12, 13:01
What do you mean the exact file....I've got about 200 films on my box.....avi....mp4.......Mkv......etc......

None fast forward correctly just at 2x.
This is not just happening with one file.
I would just like confirmation that another user with a duo who has some avi files on their box has the same issue or not.

As Andy says it may be a driver issue.....he didn't say that it was one conclusively.....but if others come on here and verify it...then it will become conclusive....

If you see my point.

judge
06-12-12, 13:13
I would just like confirmation that another user with a duo who has some avi files on their box has the same issue or not.
Yes, happens on my duo & all other boxes with various downloaded media files, your Duo will never be a fully functioning media player.

As Andy says it may be a driver issue.....he didn't say that it was one conclusively.....but if others come on here and verify it...then it will become conclusive....

If you see my point.

Don't see your point, sorry.

mickyblueys
06-12-12, 13:48
Yes, happens on my duo & all other boxes with various downloaded media files, your Duo will never be a fully functioning media player.

Don't see your point, sorry.

You have just answered my point..I now know I'm not alone...thanks...that's all I was asking. I can live with the problem. I was just worried if it was may be only myself experiencing it, and if it was then obviously it would have been fixable.
Its the same in all walks of life ....the fear of not knowing.........

Anyway off my soapbox now....onwards and upwards Macduff!...:)

BubbleBalls
07-12-12, 02:24
[QUOTE=judge;177881]Yes, happens on my duo & all other boxes with various downloaded media files, your Duo will never be a fully functioning media player.
judge, has it always been the case that mkv's (or other formats) have been hit and miss? I am relatively new to this and bought the duo because, among other things, I read it could handle such files. For several months I have been using mkv's with no issue but have noticed the exact problems reported here as of late.

I enjoy the tweaks applied in most updates and am really impressed with the capabilities of the box but for me media playback should be second to ts files. This was the case, but now I have to be willing to view a movie in one sitting, as pause/rewind etc will freeze the box. This was not the case before.

Rob van der Does
07-12-12, 05:25
As has been stated many times already:

1- A STB can only decode video in hardware, i.e. the codecs used for the file must be identical to the codecs that are supported in the hardware. Any deviation from the codecs (settings) will break playability, and or cause problems during playback.
In other words: a STB is not and will never be a full media player (as no codecs can be added).

2- A MKV is a container, not a format. The codecs used inside the file (might be anything) determine the playability. Especially movies 'found' on the internet tend to have all kinds of (incorrect) codec(settings).

In other words: indeed: playback of MKV's (and any other files) is indeed hit and miss. Best option is to recoded them on your PC (using Handbreak or any other program).

BubbleBalls
07-12-12, 16:27
Thanks Ron van der Does,

Looks like my research was not as complete as I thought before deciding on the Duo. No regrets though, nice piece of kit and a great VIX image.

Must have been lucky with the files I have used over the last few months. As usual a solution is given. I will check out Handbreak now.

Cheers.

bwelton
22-04-13, 21:29
I have a Solo2 with Vix Image V 3.0 Build 649

AVI's dont fast forward faster than x2 i.e x4+ still FF at x2. Note the media files are mounted on a Network Share NAS - QNAP via CIFS.

I find that when serching to beyond about 5mins in of an AVI the box crashes - Frozen screen and the only recovery is a hard rebbot via the power rocker switch.

Is there a way to set a position to jump to eg 35mins in ?

Is there any build work to improve playback of Video files ? I was hoping that with such a powerfull processor on the Solo2 it would be better at playing media files.

Rob van der Does
22-04-13, 21:37
AVI's dont fast forward faster than x2 i.e x4+ still FF at x2. Note the media files are mounted on a Network Share NAS - QNAP via CIFS.

Is there any build work to improve playback of Video files ? I was hoping that with such a powerfull processor on the Solo2 it would be better at playing media files.
Jumping and FF/FB is driver dependant. Be advised that AVI is a container: the actual support of files depends on the codec used, nt the fact that the container is AVI.
The speed of a processor is of no importance in this area.

I find that when serching to beyond about 5mins in of an AVI the box crashes - Frozen screen and the only recovery is a hard rebbot via the power rocker switch.
A crash and a 'frozen screen' are two different things. In case of a crash there is a crashlog (post that please) and Enigma restarts.

Is there a way to set a position to jump to eg 35mins in?
Why not use the seekbar function?

judge
22-04-13, 21:40
The solo 2 has taken every file I've thrown at it fine.
You could try changin the number jump times & see if it helps your ff issues.
Menu -> Setup -> System -> Recording Settings -> Custom skip time for ...